Quantcast

You don't see this every day

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Urban rappelling! Some of my buddies in a Military Science course at my school had their final today, which was to rappel down the tallest building on campus with ghetto-rigged harnesses consisting of a piece of rope and... a piece of rope. I couldn't resist grabbing the camera and taking a few shots.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
wow. i am impressed. i'd like to be able to do something like that. maybe not exactly that... :D

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
WhItTy said:
Only a rope that would be difficult how would he get it to hold him in? did he have a harness?
They were given a separate piece of rope and taught how to tie it around themselves in a harness-like manner, aka a ghetto-rigged harness.

Big_Papa1080 said:
thats awesome! where do u go to school? and what building is that?
University of California, Santa Barbara. That's the bell tower on campus, called Storke Tower. I think it's somewhere around 150 feet high (not 100% sure though).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Rapelling is great fun...I learned how at an Army base. I really want to rapel some of the office buildings in salt lake :D

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Did they use webbing to tye swiss seats? That's how wel always made our own harnesses. Did they get ATC's, Grigri's, figure 8's, or just a carabeener to put friction on the rope? If they're Military Science majors, I'm gonna guess they had just a 'beener. That looks like a lot of fun. A bunch of my friends repelled off the Rec Center here at CalPoly. Fun stuff

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
bikenweed said:
Did they use webbing to tye swiss seats? That's how wel always made our own harnesses. Did they get ATC's, Grigri's, figure 8's, or just a carabeener to put friction on the rope? If they're Military Science majors, I'm gonna guess they had just a 'beener. That looks like a lot of fun. A bunch of my friends repelled off the Rec Center here at CalPoly. Fun stuff
If they did get gear like that, it was cheating..... :think:

They should've been made to do the dulfersitz. :D

-S.S.-

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
bikenweed said:
Did they use webbing to tye swiss seats?
No webbing, just a piece of rope. But yes, they tied their own harnesses.

bikenweed said:
Did they get ATC's, Grigri's, figure 8's, or just a carabeener to put friction on the rope?
They had ATCs.

bikenweed said:
If they're Military Science majors...
No way man, there's definitely not a Military Science major at UCSB. If you want that, you go to West Point. This was just a class that some of my friends took for sh!ts and giggles.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Swiss seats are easy. They are actually safer than a regular harness cause they fit perfect and don't wiggle loose. They cramp the boys a bit, but once you get used to them, they are very confidence inspiring.

When I was a kid we used to ascend trees and rappell down. Not little trees either. Ones tall enough that you had to do 2 or 3 ascents. We didn't have anything other than beaners and rope. (you can make your own ascenders out of rope too)