Quantcast

You finding top tube and reach measurements are all over the place?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Do you stop. twiddle both the lockouts back open every time the surface becomes a bit rougher or you come across an unforseen compression or obsticle? Or maybe just just want the bike to pre-load the same as an FS bike usually does when you want to bunnyhop, wheelie, manny etc.? then stop again to lock it out all over again if it becomes smooth again ad infinitum?
If not, why not?
Why would I stop?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Okay, so maybe things aren't completely out of control. You just have to find the right geometry for your local riding spots.
The problem is bro-culture pushing manufacturers to design all their bikes for 8 mile rides that are 2K up followed by 2K down and subsequently convincing everyone that they ride like that (or that they want to) all the time. While yes, it's good for this kind of terrain, even when you live in that kind of terrain you don't do every ride like that, so going absolutely nuts with it is just ridiculous for most people's riding. Getting the saggy low AS bikes to climb decently as far as riding position was a big part of this...but the scale is tilted way over to the other extreme right now, due to the above bro-culture and convincing everyone that they only ride Tiger Mtn.

Of course, the industry would like nothing more than to sell you a different bike for each ride...

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Do either of you ever do seated wheelies at all?
I can wheelie perhaps a mile around some bends up and down grades, shifting on my trail bike
Sometimes I can bust circles but it's hard with FS and reasonable trail tire pressures

On a HT I used to do circles, one handers, seated weird half assed bunnyhops up curbs during the wheelies, ya know round the block flip a U turn in the driveway wheelie down on the rear brake not pedaling maybe do a little no footer and wheelie round the block the other way. That was back in my bmx days before I realized mtbs were meant for trails. I don't have an HT but pretty sure I can still do that stuff if I had one for a day or two.

Tldr
Yes sometimes I do seated wheelies.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I don't.

In an XC race....sometimes I do, but there it's more about controlling body movements and providing a stable chassis on level ground, rather than really going much faster or saving energy.

I'd bet over a 2000' climb, on my Enduro bike, I'd save maybe 30 seconds climbing with the lockout on. On a 4 hour ride...that's nothing, I don't care. In an XC race, that's huge, but the gap is probably not even that big between locked and not. Mind you, at the higher levels of competition, they are more running their bikes like hardtails most of the time and just unlocking them when they have to, to maximize power transfer. Those races are often separated by seconds or less.

But in any situation outside of that? No way. That's why I got the Jade for the Foes, because adjustable H/L compression. That's why I have the Arma, no-care-about-lock.

I will say this, for many years we've been using lockouts on longer travel bikes to account for the crappy geometry that you get with these bikes leaning way back on any kind of grade. Steeper seat-tubes fixed that (but created problems for the lesser/no-travel bikes on the flats). So even less reason to run a lockout on a modern bike. If someone thinks they are saving any significant time or energy...I have to laugh.

I think people would be really surprised to see the lack of diff between locked and not-locked over a big climb.
How about some actual investigation on the topic of lock-out.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
^ I won't watch that because lock-outs suck but IME the only implementation that was kinda OK was CC's that slowed down the rebound as well. That said, I blew that shock when I hit an unexpected bump when locked out and that was the end of my interest in CC shocks on trail bikes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
We used to race DH on 26" wheels with 32mm stanchions too. Doesn't mean it was a great idea
Unless you are a fatty 32 mm stanchions are fine. However, if you are a fatty then 26" wheels are actually the best option. :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Though as I recall, we weren't actually riding those bikes up the hill, we were pushing them!
Speak for yourself! From 2005-2009 my main bike was an Uzzi VPX. Yes, it was ridden all over Oregon: Blackrock, local McDonald Dunn forest, coast mountains, Ashland, McKenzie River trail, Oakridge, up and down!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Well to be fair... this is the 'Downhill/Freeride' forum and "enduro" bikes are more or less descendants of freeride bikes. Sorta. I guess.
The way I see it is enduro bikes came from XC… they just kept adding more travel and at some point fixed the geometry.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’m starting to think you guys actually believe the Industry lizards conspiracy thing.
yeah I mean, why would anyone think the bike industry is just profit snorting dumbasses?

If you ride with someone who is fitter and faster than you then a lot of theories get dealt with very quickly.
"fitter" :rofl:

lance armstrong in his hey day was fitter than everyone I know but I still would have paid money to have him follow me through some 40 degree rocks or some jumps, so I could laugh my ass off

definitely fitter, and definitely faster than me uphill though, no question!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I’m starting to think you guys actually believe the Industry lizards conspiracy thing.

If you ride with someone who is fitter and faster than you then a lot of theories get dealt with very quickly.

How tall are you again?
Approximately 1 bald eagle wingspan.

The rider Ian was referring to isn't physically non-average. Just a freak in capability.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@ChrisRobin - you might look at wheelpath and the resulting amount of BB offset from the seat tube.

I don’t know, but my guess is the transition has a fairly forward wheelpath deep into its travel, so there is a good amount of bb offset to physically give enough space at BB bottom-out, hence the shorter ETT.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

How tall are you again?
I don’t even know what we are talking about anymore.

Also, pretty sure half of the folks here are just internet bikers who may or may not own a bicycle.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
This does not make sense to me. If you have a slack ST, why would you squat off the back for cornering? :confused:
I ususally move more weight on the front wheel, especially on flat ground as the bikes were designed for descending.
Here's a fellow riding a bike with a slack seat angle, compounded by the fact that it's over forked, and.... with the saddle slid back
20201101_081043.jpg

This is what I mean by squatting off the back

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Steeper STA makes more sense on longer travel bikes. 76°- 77° at 165mm travel is the same as slacker STA on lower travel bikes. Steep STA on a short travel bike is stupid. 80° or more on any bike is stupid IMHO. My lock out is tuned to be just a little stiffer/slower than what it's set at. Helps get less strikes climbing tech.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Unless you're 7000' tall the current steep azz seat tube angles suck. I have been slamming my saddles all the way back, and now have to run 9point8 droppers with setback to get some power to the pedals when climbing.

I believe the steep ST angles are directly related to the huge 50+ big cogs mated to a 28 or 30 front ring and large influx of "spinny sally" type riders who adore them.

Back when I was a kid we rode 36t single rings with 34t big cogs, and the trails were uphill in each direction....
That's, like, your opinion man!

I'm a massive 5'8" and have my saddle all the way forward on a 76* bike. My old Sentinel was closer to 78 and it felt way better. Same reach, same ETT. I run a 32x50 setup, and the local climbs are about 1,000 ft in 3 miles.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
the amount of polarization leaves me wondering....
short legs long torso = preference for slack STA?
long legs short torso = preference for steep STA?

perhaps also some shin to femur ratios somewhere in there as well?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Don't dismiss the RM geezer factor. I think it there is a lot of "everything new since 2006 is shit" vs "Everything that is new is awesome"

Also I think it is worth noting that historically SAs on bikes that were intended to be pedaled needed to be fairly slack prior to the adoption of dropper posts. Try to bunnyhop a bike with a 78 SA with the post extended.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
yeah I mean, why would anyone think the bike industry is just profit snorting dumbasses?

"fitter" :rofl:

lance armstrong in his hey day was fitter than everyone I know but I still would have paid money to have him follow me through some 40 degree rocks or some jumps, so I could laugh my ass off

definitely fitter, and definitely faster than me uphill though, no question!

Snorting profits? Like with a DUB bb as the straw?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Don't dismiss the RM geezer factor. I think it there is a lot of "everything new since 2006 is shit" vs "Everything that is new is awesome"

Also I think it is worth noting that historically SAs on bikes that were intended to be pedaled needed to be fairly slack prior to the adoption of dropper posts. Try to bunnyhop a bike with a 78 SA with the post extended.
Anything "new" that addresses decades-old problems is acceptable and encouraged, but the major "fuck you" of up-charging for late fixes is not lost on people.

On the other end of things, making things "new" when the basics haven't been solvent for over a decade (case study: suspension that requires batteries when bushing consistency hasn't been firmly established, despite 2 decades of "opportunity") is an equally large "fuck you".

It's not starry-eyed youngsters vs grouchy old fucks. It's crack-head product management and engineering. It's what happens when major companies will only pay for wash-ups from other industries, or worse yet, talent that couldn't even get IN to other industries and have nothing useful to bring over.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would think there are enough options on the market today, geometry wise, that almost everyone can find something they like and fits their trails?
Keep up that attitude and you will quickly run out of things to complain about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Im revoking your right to talk shit on anyone discussing bike design merits and pitfalls
I mean, I wouldn't try it. I have witnessed it, accidental test pilot was singing soprano and required a little first aid. It was pretty amusing.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
On the other end of things, making things "new" when the basics haven't been solvent for over a decade (case study: suspension that requires batteries when bushing consistency hasn't been firmly established, despite 2 decades of "opportunity") is an equally large "fuck you".

It's not starry-eyed youngsters vs grouchy old fucks. It's crack-head product management and engineering. It's what happens when major companies will only pay for wash-ups from other industries, or worse yet, talent that couldn't even get IN to other industries and have nothing useful to bring over.
Realistically product and engineering have to solve for strategic objectives set out by leadership, which are usually going to be tilted to towards increasing/diversifying revenue/ebitda. A new bluetooth dildo is probably going to solve that better than increasing bushing performance.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

i'm in the short legs/long torso camp and have always sought longer top tubes and low standover. even on today's bikes, i still have my rails all the way back and find myself sliding my ass back on the seat a fair amount.