Quantcast

You Go Girl!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
don't worry, everything is going to be just fine...

"MAY 2013
GIANT'S RESPONSE TO DW-LINK LAWSUIT
To our valued Giant retailers,
Earlier this week, several consumer cycling Web sites reported on the patent
infringement litigation between dw-link/Dave Weagle and Giant involving the
Maestro Suspension design. Below is Giant’s official response to this matter:
Giant vigorously disputes and intends to aggressively defend against the
patent infringement allegations contained in the lawsuit recently filed by dwlink. Maestro Suspension is a Giant proprietary design, and our retailers can
continue to sell Maestro-equipped mountain bikes with confidence.
Giant will continue to focus on developing world-leading technologies to help
you grow your business and provide a superior cycling experience for riders
worldwide.
We greatly appreciate your support and business."

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites/default/files/downloads/article/GiantsResponse_d-w_link_Lawsuit-RetailerEmail_May09-2013.pdf

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I guess I don't fully understand what Giant would have to gain by ripping off weagle in this situation. No matter how much he improves their suspension, nobody will buy it if it doesn't say "dw patented everywhere OMG" on the side. The reason people gravitate toward his bikes is because they _know_ that the appropriate amount of time has been spent on designing the suspension to work the way he intends it to. If it doesn't have that sticker, then there's no evidence he worked on it, and then there's no reason to buy it over the competition. I mean, isn't the story that the KHS DH300 cannot be sold in the US because it directly infringes on his IP, but it will never sell en mass regardless because the suspension was designed by ping pong wang and not the guy who actually owns the patents? In other words, if maeftro 2 doesn't have the pedigree, then why would anybody think it's better?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
As a rule Giant Maestro mountain bikes ride well and are less expensive then the competition but they are are not considered cool.

I don't know if anyone remembers but for a few years or so Giant had a single pivot. http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2004&brand=Giant&model=DH+Team.

It rode poorly.

A MTBR thread on the 2005 Maestro DH. First comment "hmmm, looks a lot like the Sunday... "

http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/next-gen-giant-dh-101149-post912059.html#poststop

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Lest we all forget, Giant went right at Specialized with their most "innovative" linkage design and brazenly declared it something else. Virtually identical, yet used "kinematics" to defend it's bike. Specialized won that.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
It's always funny seeing people blame attorneys for (almost) all the evil in this world -- at least until they need one. Imagine how much it would suck if you had no legal recourse against being screwed over by your landlord, business partners, employees, ex-spouse, overly-rambunctious police officer, etc.

Quality attorneys may not be cheap, but neither is your average doctor, mechanic, CEO (insert any reasonably smart or skilled person). The reality is that the cost of legal representation usually tends to be proportionate to the emotional and/or financial investment that is at stake.
Yeah, stop blaming the lawyers, it's the insurance companies who are to blame for the high cost of everything. If only people weren't suing everyone, we wouldn't need insurance, and... wait a second, there's that lawyer connection again...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lest we all forget, Giant went right at Specialized with their most "innovative" linkage design and brazenly declared it something else. Virtually identical, yet used "kinematics" to defend it's bike. Specialized won that.
yea, but wasn't the horst link patent based on pivot location, whereas the dw-link patent is based on kinematics?

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Yeah, stop blaming the lawyers, it's the insurance companies who are to blame for the high cost of everything. If only people weren't suing everyone, we wouldn't need insurance, and... wait a second, there's that lawyer connection again...
I think you made my point, and I quote: "people suing everyone ... ." -- 'nuff said. It's not the attorney suing people, it's people suing people.

I think you made my point, and I quote: "people suing everyone ... ." -- 'nuff said. It's not the attorney suing people, it's people suing people.
how can you say this with a straight face? we have all watched television or listened to the radio at some point and heard a LAWYER beg us to call them over some stupid BS so the LAWYER can sue someones ass off to make a quick buck...

Last edited:

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
how can you say this with a straight face? we have all watched television or listened to the radio at some point and heard a LAWYER beg us to call them over some stupid BS so the LAWYER can sue someones ass off to make a quick buck...
Simple. Those cases are miniscule fraction of overall litigation. For comparison's sake, there were over 278,000 cases filed in 2012 in federal court alone and many times that in state court.

The point is that we Americans are very litigious -- much more so than in other countries with lawyers -- but do not accept responsibility for this mindset. As with so many other things, it is much easier to blame the attorneys rather than to look inside for the underlying cause. While lots of people like to blame attorneys for all the evil in the world, the same people are usually the first to come to us when things are going wrong.

Last edited: