Quantcast

You guys are gonna love this one

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Bike helmets in quebec

We're not against wearing helmets, but we are against a law," Lareau said. "We're against the idea of penalizing people for riding their bikes, for doing physical activity. These are people who are using a transportation method that's good for the environment, that's good for their health."
"What does wearing a helmet actually do? It might reduce the chance of injury in case of an accident, but it doesn't prevent accidents," Lareau said. "We need to work on strategies to improve bike safety, like lowering speed limits in the city and sharing the road. That would be more effective than implementing a helmet law and then saying, 'My job is done.'"

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
They're right of course-
It shouldn't be a government enforced law. Helmets are a no-brainer (ha).

Just because theres no helmet law doesn't mean I'm going to take mine off.

Wearing your helmet is one of those rules like don't share needles or wear a rubber when paying for sex. The unspoken rules of safety

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm a new arrival here, so I don't have the back story, but where does the reticence to wear a bike helmet come from - specifically with respect to the higher rates in quebec than the rest of Canada?

I know some people think it's not cool, and others think it'll mess up their hair, but the stretch that it discourages people from riding a bike?

I can say that the drivers here are absolute asshol*s, with not courtesy to bikers or pedestrians. More dedicated bike lanes would be welcome.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'm a new arrival here, so I don't have the back story, but where does the reticence to wear a bike helmet come from - specifically with respect to the higher rates in quebec than the rest of Canada?

I know some people think it's not cool, and others think it'll mess up their hair, but the stretch that it discourages people from riding a bike?

I can say that the drivers here are absolute asshol*s, with not courtesy to bikers or pedestrians. More dedicated bike lanes would be welcome.
Likely the same reason so many people smoke here

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I agree with the stupid canucks. Making a law every time something is "unsafe" :eek: is for stupid Americans.

Personally I would like to be able to use my judgment on when I need or don't need a helmet. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder for the fuz if I want to test ride my bike around the block without a lid.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
They did away with the motorcycle helmet law in Florida a few years ago. I was like, cool fresh organs. But, apparently, harvesting them yourself just after the accident is frowned upon.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Natural selection can be helpful sometimes.
No kidding.

It sounds like these people ran out of things to "fight the man" about. Go get a hobby...maybe biking without a helmet. Natural selection kicks in and problem solved all around.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They did away with the motorcycle helmet law in Florida a few years ago. I was like, cool fresh organs. But, apparently, harvesting them yourself just after the accident is frowned upon.
Same with Pennsylvania.

I don't have the specifics, but I understand it had something to do with insurance. Something like: People that ride w/o helmets and crash usually end up dead and ultimately cost less than those that crash, live and have crazy expenses.