Quantcast

you have 7 - 9K to spend on a truck

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
honestly... if you find my opinions or my views as serious as a fart in a fan factory then don t comment.... i could care less... BUT

if you had a budget of 7 -9K for a truck... what would you buy ??? i could give a shiat of the opinions of hippies who hates SUVs/trucks... but if you understand the value and need of a decent truck (shuttling etc) then i d be stoked to hear your opinion...

cheers
partsbara

ps - v8s are welcome because i don t have / like the future ;)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i agree mate... toyotas rock, and lemme tell ya.. in the land down under they get driven HARD (especially in the mines)... but... i m thinking of a dodge... mid size truck... i had a 3.9l v6 and it was gutless... i m pretty partial to a v8 since i hate the future so much and i want to overtake a snail if the need arises... :)

a 2001 / 02 tundra v8 would be ideal, but it s more than i wanna drop...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just make sure that your truck has enough ground clearence so those dirty "Trannies" do not get stuck under your bumper when you run over them.:rofl:

Kidding kidding.
I would get a used Tacoma as well.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Jeremy R said:
Just make sure that your truck has enough ground clearence so those dirty "Trannies" do not get stuck under your bumper when you run over them.:rofl:

Kidding kidding.
I would get a used Tocoma as well.
michelle - sorry.. tacomas are too small......

edit - i guess i should ask... anyone have bad experiences with a dodge dakota 4.7 v8 ???

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i almost traded my truck for a 99 or 2000 V8 Dakota. i like how sitting in my truck feels, though. i don't know if Tundras have the same shallow feel, though.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
partsbara said:

edit - i guess i should ask... anyone have bad experiences with a dodge dakota 4.7 v8 ???
Yeah, the older ones were smaller.
The new ones are alot bigger and have a superfast V6, but they are $ for what you are looking for.
I would test drive the Dakota, you should be able to find a used one cheap since a used Dodge holds their value about as well as an aging hooker with a facial goiter.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, the older ones were smaller.
The new ones are alot bigger and have a superfast V6, but they are $ for what you are looking for.
I would test drive the Dakota, you should be able to find a used one cheap since a used Dodge holds their value about as well as an aging hooker with a facial goiter.
very true... seriously, thats part of the attraction... v8s seem pretty outta vogue since you guys seem to think that your gas is $$$$$...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
partsbara said:
very true... seriously, thats part of the attraction... v8s seem pretty outta vogue since you guys seem to think that your gas is $$$$$...
Well, they are outta vogue maybe here on RM.
Mt. biking has always had a bunch of granola gobbling,
bark molesting no deodorant wearing yahoos.
But here in real America, you can't throw a rock without it coming down on a V8 truck.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Jeremy R said:
But here in real America, you can't throw a rock without it coming down on a V8 truck.
sorry mate, but you ll have to give it to me in aussie / pommy english...

i don t understand what ya sayin... i m not trying to be a smartass (for once) but i don t understand ya...

do you mean that there are heaps of v8 trucks ???

if so what would ya recommend for me ??

many of them = cheaper i assume ??

help a bloke out... :)

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
If you are thinking dodge the dakotas are decent. My dad had a 99 and it was nice and i enjoyed driving it. They aren't that expensive new so im sure u can find one thats a few years old for your $.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
mobius said:
If you are thinking dodge the dakotas are decent. My dad had a 99 and it was nice and i enjoyed driving it. They aren't that expensive new so im sure u can find one thats a few years old for your $.
best info yet... thanks... was his a v6 or v8 ??

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
partsbara said:

My brother would gladly trade his Dodge for my Tacoma. He has had problems with his tranny, brakes, electrical problems, and tons of little stuff like window knobs, the heater, rear slider, tailgate. etc. Thing is a POS IMO. My Taco may be under powered, but I never get stuck. I get great gas mileage, my insurance is low, I can run commercial plates on it, and it cost my like nothing to maintain.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
When I get a truck, I want a '91 chevy silverado k1500 (older obs -old body style). They have less computer stuff than the later years, making them cheap/easy to work on yourself (don't know if you want to).

The '95-'98 (newer obd) ones have an overdrive tranny and a little more power/better gas mileage.

The newer ones (nbs-new body style-99+) I don't like how much computer crap they have. More to mess up offroading and much harder to fix.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
partsbara said:
sorry mate, but you ll have to give it to me in aussie / pommy english...

i don t understand what ya sayin... i m not trying to be a smartass (for once) but i don t understand ya...

do you mean that there are heaps of v8 trucks ???

if so what would ya recommend for me ??

many of them = cheaper i assume ??

help a bloke out... :)
Yeah, sorry I was away for a while.
Yeah, there are tons of V8 trucks anywhere you go in America.
You should be able to find a used Dakota for cheap or even something like a Ford F150. If you can find a used Tundra for cheap then you should jump all over it for sure.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
partsbara said:

Sorry, but the Dakota is pointless unless you don't know how to park a full sized truck (same goes for Rangers and S10's).

You can get a full sized Ram 1500 for about what you would spend on a Dakota. Same (or at least very close) gas milage, twice the interior room, twice the payload, twice the towing capacity.

I looked at a dakaota back in 2000, then looking over the specs, I drove away in a '98 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4. Besides my Toyota, best truck I ever had.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
mtnbrider said:
When I get a truck, I want a '91 chevy silverado k1500 (older obs -old body style). They have less computer stuff than the later years, making them cheap/easy to work on yourself (don't know if you want to).

The '95-'98 (newer obd) ones have an overdrive tranny and a little more power/better gas mileage.

The newer ones (nbs-new body style-99+) I don't like how much computer crap they have. More to mess up offroading and much harder to fix.
Err youve got some dates messed up there. The current/new computer configuration that all US model cars have is called OBDII. OBDII wasnt mandated until 1996, and very few vehicles got it before then, the Silverado wasnt one of them. An OBDII truck from '96 will probably have the same amount of sensors and computer control as one from 2005. The newer chevy trucks are just pieces of sh1t, its not any additional computers that make them bad. Its the plastic overload and poor quality control. I've been wheeling in an OBDII truck for the past 2 years, and Ive yet to hurt any engine computer components when wheelin so I wouldnt really consider it a concern.

Paul, after you told me youre moving over here, I'd highly recommend a Tacoma. Great truck for the money. Reliable, cool looking, and durable.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
don, i appreciate the advice... so the new tacomas are the same size ae dodge dakotas (mid size)??

thanks to everyone trying to help me with this decision, my time in the US is pretty limited and my knowledge of such shi!tis pretty poor...

otherwise - D I E...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
partsbara said:
don, i appreciate the advice... so the new tacomas are the same size ae dodge dakotas (mid size)??
Yep, the new Tacomas are mid-size with plenty of room,
they have a super fast V6 that gets good milage and is more powerful than the Dakota's V8. I love mine.
But the new Tacomas first came out in '05, so finding a cheap one will not happen. Actually the Tundras are barely bigger than the new Tacoma, and if you can find a deal on one, I think you would be happy with those too.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
now we re gettin somewhere... so jeremyR.. yours is an 05 or newer ??

shiat... i don t wanna drop serious $$$...

what do you crew recommend for 8 - 10 K ???

thanks

parts

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the new tacoma's are ****in' huge. the xtra cab is taller and longer than my mom's 91 F150 single-cab longbed.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
jimmydean said:
Sorry, but the Dakota is pointless unless you don't know how to park a full sized truck (same goes for Rangers and S10's).

I beg to differ...

Just because you don't have some retardedly big pickup doesn't mean your truck is useless.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the Inbred said:
the new tacoma's are ****in' huge. the xtra cab is taller and longer than my mom's 91 F150 single-cab longbed.
sounds awesome... that size would be great but we don t wanna drop that kinda $$ since we have an 04 volvo xc70 as our main ride...

the truck will be a shuttler / house builder...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
You could even check out a T100. They don't have v8's, but they are big, cheap, and reliable.

I would be partial to an F150/Ram/Silverado/Tundra over the Tacoma. The gas mileage isn't much worse, and the carrying capacity is much larger. Plus, I find the Tacoma really uncomfy for long trips. It is great off road, but it handles like poop on the road, and it's tiny. If I was just going to be shuttling, I would just get a V6, but that's me. Even though American trucks are supposedly time bombs, they are cheap, fun, and biiiig.

Check www.craigslist.org for some real world prices on every truck you can imagine.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
partsbara said:
sounds awesome... that size would be great but we don t wanna drop that kinda $$ since we have an 04 volvo xc70 as our main ride...

the truck will be a shuttler / house builder...
When are you moving out this way?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dude, listen here.
I would buy a Nissan 4x4 from like 1995 for about $4,000 (it WILL run forever) and put the rest into a bike or a savings account. If its not your main transport, no reason to go for a Taco or something. Too much moolah for the same purpose.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
partsbara said:

I had a 2000 Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7
It was a great truck, no problems up to when I sold it at 75k although the tranny was starting to act up from abuse (over loading mainly)

It was decent size (i'm 6'4) and had 6' bed which I think is essential for a truck. The extended cab held 3 big guys; one tied into a pretzel.

Despite what people w/o direct experience here say, look at a GM fullsize too. My 02 has been flawless and I treat it like a Cambodian whore.