Quantcast

you have 7 - 9K to spend on a truck

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
dan-o said:
... 6' bed which I think is essential for a truck....
:stupid:
Thats the one regret I have with my crew cab gmc canyon - it only has a 5 foot box. Awesome truck, though.

If I was buying a used truck and wanted a v8, I'd get a 95-2000 chevy/gm. If I didn't want a v8, I'd get a toyota or a nissan.

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, SLT, 4.7 Liter V8. Great truck. I never had any problems with it. It drove great. Plenty of power. Only downside was that it sucked through gas. If your not worried about that, I'd recommend the truck. Hell...when my pockets are deeper, I may get another one.

I had a camper shell on it so my precious bike was always protected from the rain and the road crap. Nice setup.

eric

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if your truck will just be for utility chores and shuttling, why not get something really cheap? a beater F150 for $2k (don't know what year that'll get you) will be ugly, ride and drive like a truck, but will do the job and will be incredibly cheap to insure. you can get your soccer-mom kick driving around the volvo, then use the truck for what it's meant for :nuts:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
partsbara said:
what toyota did you have jimmy ??
I have had many a Toyota, but my favorite was my '92 truck. The only downfall of that rig was it was a standard cab and there was no room for a car seat.

I have had these toyotas (in order of purchase):
1987 Standard Cab/Bed 4x4 4Cyl.
1993 Extra Cab 4x4 V6
1989 4Runner V6
1992 Stanadrd Cab/Bed 4x4 4Cyl.

I will soon buy an 89-94 extra cab 4cyl 4x4 to recreate my '92 in extra cab form.

The 4cyl built correctly will out perform the V6 and well outlast it in pure milage. But I do know a guy who built a very nice 3.2 V6 with the TRD supercharger kit that kicks much ass, but is more coin than my cheap ass is willing to spend.

The Tacoma is a great truck, I just think the hard crease on the body looks like ass compared to the older style truck.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
chicodude said:
I beg to differ...

Just because you don't have some retardedly big pickup doesn't mean your truck is useless.
I'm 6'4" and you can fit 5 people in the quad cab Ram without issue. I just don't see the point of a smaller truck that gets the same milage and is less capabile. No offense.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I just got this for 5k :

I just wanted something not too expensive, reliable and that I could tow with. I've also owned a 99 taco and a 02 tundra and if I was willing to spend a little more money I definitely would've went with a used tacoma. Those trucks are hard to beat.

For a brief period I also tried to talk my buddy into selling me his older Z71 regular cab shortbed. It's a really cool truck with alot of power but I don't think I could handle the horrible gas mileage that they get.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

That is what I'm talking about. I love virgin trucks!

Add a Trail Master suspension kit, 4.88 gears, Bushwhacker cut out flares, Downey cam/ecu/header (on the 22re motor), and mount some 35x15 tires on a steel wheel and your set!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'll just be adding gas and using it to drive from one side of this great country to the other. It's a 6cyl, from what I read the 22re is useless for towing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
dfinn said:
I'll just be adding gas and using it to drive from one side of this great country to the other. It's a 6cyl, from what I read the 22re is useless for towing.
The 22re is close to useless in stock form. But you add the cam, a nice K&N intake, Downey exhaust, and upgrade the ecu, it will put out nearly as much top end as the V6, more bottom end, and get about 4 mpg better.

The V6 has a bad head design that blows gaskets (lots of recalls and fixes later), a timming belt that needs to be changes every 60k (22re has a chain and the guide is easy to replace every 150K), and the V6 is nearly impossible to work on.

Don't get me wrong, the V6 isn't a bad motor compared to other companies, but the 22re is a very capable motor that is easy to work on and runs like a top. Also, the V6 is about $2500 for a good rebuild, the 22re is $900. I have worked on 4 V6's and 8 22re's. I am much happier with the 22re overall.

<edit> I'm sort of a Toyota truck gearhead, sorry :D

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
so i spent 6000 on my 91 toyota pickup....got 32.11.5 mud terrain tires (600 bucks) lockrite rear diff lock (400 bucks w/install) 3 inch body lift for tire clearance (120 bucks) and with 120 dollars worth of metal i made with a friend front and rear bumpers that are strong enough to pull out any ford, chevy or jeep that needs a tow!! it owns offroad, and i only have a little over 1100 hundred into the offroad side of it. i would definetly get a yota over anything..they are a little more spendy, but they are worth it. oh, ya..rangers are sh!tty, i've pulled many of my friends' rangers out either stuck or DEAD.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Toshi said:
you can get your soccer-mom kick driving around the volvo, then use the truck for what it's meant for :nuts:
go blow a horn toshi, preferabally vin diesels...

just checkin some old threads... nice ride finn... thats the kinda beast i m into...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
'94-'97 F-250 Ford Diesel
I just sold my Crew Cab F350 for $10k. A reg cab or extended can be had for about $6-7k
They run forever. They haul ass if you learn to drive a turbo with lots of lag. Especially if you get a 5sp and learn to spool the turbo.
20mpg
Very little is computer controlled which makes working on them a cinch.
If you need more power, you can mod the **** out of them and make 350+ hp for less than $1500.