Quantcast

you know what i really love about college?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i mean, really love.....

the fact that the University of Texas can charge me $1357 for 1 class over the summer. 1 ****ing 4hr class. that will actually be 8hrs of class time for 11 weeks, that i can prove is not relevant to my major, but required of engineering majors, physics majors, math majors, and economics majors.

yes i'm whining, yes i think it's a bunch of bull****, yes i hate this university, yes i think it's ****ing stupid that my household's yearly income isn't even half of UT's student body's average household income, yet i won't get any aid.

no, i do not have any clue how i'm gonna manage to pay for this class, as well as the 2 others i need to take.

what kind of lube would you recommend for this ass **** i'm about to get from Larry Faulkner?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i feel you man.
i thought college were the best years of your life and you got to party and have a blast with a bunch of hot chicks (stupid movies deceived me again)
intead i'm stuck broke and stressed hanging out by myself (and slcpunk and lilstinky, but mostly at work and durring class so that doesn't really count)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
and here i thought it was going to be a post about women and beer. Damn.. listen enjoy college dont sweat the small stuff... it sucks even more when your old like me!!! go out and ride

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
not for summer anymore. not through the school at least. deadline was in Feb. the course schedule came out last monday. UT is on a flat-rate tuition system, and has been since this past Fall semester. i knew this affected Fall and Spring semesters, but was not told it would affect Summer sessions, until i just read it in the course schedule. it's great for full sessions, being that i only pay like $2600 for 12 - 14hrs. since i'm only taking this one class, i fit into the "4 - 6 hrs = $1357" category. Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences are on the system. every other school pays something like $100/credit hour.

i'm now looking at taking the class at the community college here, as well as the other 2 classes.

my first semester at UT, 15hrs, was just over $1600. geeze.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
HippieKai said:
i feel you man.
i thought college were the best years of your life and you got to party and have a blast with a bunch of hot chicks (stupid movies deceived me again)
intead i'm stuck broke and stressed hanging out by myself (and slcpunk and lilstinky, but mostly at work and durring class so that doesn't really count)

bahahaha....

You might as well off yourself now. If you think College sucks, wait til you start working. :nope:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i don't know, man. everyone tells me these are the best years of my life, but next to the couple years before my parents' divorce, these have been some of the worst.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Eminem's been fueling my fire lately. doing a good job, too. Austin, Angela, and school seem to be catalysts.

ah, Comfort was so fun. dburatti had a late night visitor that apparently mumbled my name.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
Eminem's been fueling my fire lately. doing a good job, too. Austin, Angela, and school seem to be catalysts.

ah, Comfort was so fun. dburatti had a late night visitor that apparently mumbled my name.
Bummer I missed it, but Wumpus, Julie, her pop, and myself camped at Warda. Was Jebadiah there???

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Skinny, sober, and pissed off is no way to go through college, son.

You're on the right track w/ACC. . . take the EZ classes there, find a vice that makes you happy (riding is good, but your constant roommate problems and po-country-boy-stuck-in-overcrowded-hippie/techie-hell syndrome apparently needs more mind-numbing goodness), and start enjoying your time there.

If your current state constitutes the most enjoyment you can squeeze out of college, "real life" is gonna suck beyond belief.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
the Inbred said:
yes i'm whining, yes i think it's a bunch of bull****, yes i hate this university, yes i think it's ****ing stupid that my household's yearly income isn't even half of UT's student body's average household income, yet i won't get any aid.
Are you letting your parents claim you on there taxes?

If you have been on your own for a couple of years, I don't see why you can't get loans? There is a reason alot of folks have debt after school. There isn't much free money floating around for anyone.

Get out of the university housing. Get your own place. Don't expect to get an awesome place. I lived in an f'in dump for awhile, but I didn't have to put up with anybody else. You're in college that is part of the 'experience'.

Fathead said:
...You're on the right track w/ACC. . . take the EZ classes there, find a vice that makes you happy (riding is good, but your constant roommate problems and po-country-boy-stuck-in-overcrowded-hippie/techie-hell syndrome apparently needs more mind-numbing goodness), and start enjoying your time there....
Bull****. :mumble:
If you want to party, drop out. If you want an education, be serious about it.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
johnbryanpeters said:
Bull****. :mumble:
If you want to party, drop out. If you want an education, be serious about it.
guy that reminds me of torontos party district that i walked past this morning. some times they teach you nothing in school.

sometimes your grandparents stonewall you with their old crap

to tell the truth i was upset to see a monster roman catholic boarding school going up. we always agreed that we would never let it come to this. then there was this huge recreation facility. barren with nothing but a wood dance studio.

the worst thing i saw in cabbagetown today? the fact that longterm healthcare is starting to become predominant. to hell with it. people dont deserve to live that goddamn old.

nothing is worse that stealing old people who dont deserve the money in their bank accounts.

goodluck finding whores by crossing into a boarding school. we said we'd never let it come to this. superchildren with super egos.

but then again i still need a talent. perhaps i will spend more time looking for an education system that does something for me...not everybody else.

why toronto sucks

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Ya know what I love about University? Sitting outside of the Comerce and Kinesology buildings on the first really warm day of summer and having lunch...there is just way too much eye candy and skin out there... :)

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
bahahaha....

You might as well off yourself now. If you think College sucks, wait til you start working. :nope:

see...most people don't like there jobs or sit behind a desk all day. I on the otherhand am looking forward to one of the most active and non-stop jobs you can get....so work is going to be waaayyyy better than school.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
HippieKai said:
see...most people don't like there jobs or sit behind a desk all day. I on the otherhand am looking forward to one of the most active and non-stop jobs you can get....so work is going to be waaayyyy better than school.
So you're majoring in hops and barley so you can land one of those active non-stop carrears in construction after you get out of college hu? Sounds like you've got it all figured out my friend.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kornphlake said:
So you're majoring in hops and barley so you can land one of those active non-stop carrears in construction after you get out of college hu? Sounds like you've got it all figured out my friend.
he's going to fight the flames with other hot, sweaty men

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
went home today to pick up a frame i'm selling, and talked the mi madre about summer school. basically, i can't afford it, and neither can my mom unless she cashes her CD. i'd rather her not do that 'cause of the large penalties associated, so it looks like i'll be in Austin 3 months longer than planned. been thinking of stuff i could sell to get some money, but all i have of any substantial value is my computer, bikes, and truck. the only item off that little list i'd even think about considering maybe selling is my computer.

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
its all about playing the game here in america; go through highschool just to get a piece of paper that enables you to attend college where you "learn" for 4 years to get another piece of paper which is your major...afterwards you hardly remember sh*t for what they taught you...all to get a sh*ttyass job, live and die revolving around money and the american dream...

my advice:

try going to a third world country..? :stosh:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I feel bad for you man. All of my sisters went to UC schools where they charged a huge premium to attend summer classes. I was lucky to go to a great Cal State school where the cost of summer classes were (then) no different than the other 3 quarters. If I were in your place, I'd definitely look into the community college idea you mentioned, it seems like the most economical route.

Everyone else, why turn this into a college degree vs dropout argument? Different strokes, geezus...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, summer school (only in Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences) is the same price as the other semesters. that's the problem, though. the University is now on a flat-rate tuition system, even for summer. the break-down is something like this, for summer, fall, and spring:

1 - 3 credit hrs - $1000
4 - 6 credit hrs - $1300
7 - 11 credit hrs - $2100
12 - 14 credit hrs - $2600
15+hrs - no clue

for every other college within the University (engineering, fine arts, business, communications, etc), it's something like $100 - $200 per credit hour.

the University is making a big push to get kids out in 4yrs, and as such, the largest price break goes to those taking 15hrs or more a semester.

i am getting mixed information regarding financial aid, and when it kicks in. some sources say 6 credit hours during both summer sessions (a total of 12hrs for the entire summer), others are saying 9 credit hours total for the summer, and still others are saying 6 for the entire summer. and unfortunately, i have to jump through hoops and wag my tail to talk to an actual financial aid advisor, as opposed to someone sitting behind a desk doing work-study.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
the Inbred said:
so it looks like i'll be in Austin 3 months longer than planned.
Sorry if this has been covered, but do you have a job in Austin? Any chance you could get one for 3 mos? Blow off summer school, and make a few bucks. . . together it would put you ahead ~$3k, even at minimum wage.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I'm glad I didn't have the loan/aid issues back when I was in college. But then again I worked and went to school. It would have been nice to just go to school. I don't know how my cousin did it, but she went to SMU. Spent 10k and semester with student loans. Her parents made good money, but her dad said we wasn't going to pay that just because she wanted to go there. She is 35, and still paying for them. She didn't start paying until she graduated. She has here econ degree, and a law degree, and she stays at home to takes care of here kids. That's got to be a kick in the nuts. Good Luck to ya, I know how not having cash sucks.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Take the summer off, get a job at UPS or something and ride your ass off. Go back to school in fall and take 18 hours of classes and get back tot he same place you would have been if you had went during the summer.. Play the game if they reward you for taking a bunch of classes at once then take a bunch of classes at once...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
:nopity:

Cry me a friggin' river.

Just figure it out, my friend. I didn't like college much my last couple years, what with full loads every semester and a 20-30 hr/week job. But I applied for a bunch of scholarships, got a few, and ended up graduating in 4 years and getting the f**k out of Michigan.

Try to get out without loans, though - those damn things will get in the way of all kinds of fun. :p

-S.S.-