Quantcast

You know you're a punk rocker when....

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Face it to be truly punk rock you would've been pronounced dead of a Heroin overdose back in 1979.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
speaking of punk rock, did anyone catch the boston globe today? there's a big story/interview w/ Lisa Carver (aka Lisa Suckdog). she went to my wife's high school.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
true punks never said "punk rock".

True punks don't strictly listen to punk, nor dress like a punk. See Malcolm McLaren.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
LordOpie said:
true punks never said "punk rock".

True punks don't strictly listen to punk, nor dress like a punk.
An "Amen" to that.
True "punks" don't know they're punks. I F*CKING HATE self proclaimed punks.

Tall cans in the air...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
True definition of Punk Rock.

A swaying motion usually performed in the fetal position caused by the post traumatic stress of getting ass raped in prison.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
N8 said:
Has there been any real punk scene since 1982???
Depends on which generation you ask. I was at a punk festival a few months ago in Port Townsend, WA that was decent. The 12 year olds running around thinking that they were the first to discoverpunk music was funny though.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tenchiro said:
Depends on which generation you ask. I was at a punk festival a few months ago in Port Townsend, WA that was decent. The 12 year olds running around thinking that they were the first to discoverpunk music was funny though.

Did they get their punk clothes from Hot Topic at the mall???

:p:p:p!!

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
N8 said:
Did they get their punk clothes from Hot Topic at the mall???

:p:p:p!!
The funny thing was, it was such a small town that most of them just looked like normal kids. You could tell the people that were from out of town, most of them were definately mallternative.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I was never a true "punker", I listen to almost everything short of hip hop and rap. My 12 year old thinks he is a punker now, and it is so hard not to tell hiim that bands like Green Day and Blink 182 can hold a candle to the Clash and the Ramones. Todays stuff doesnt have near the same rage and intensity level as London Calling, White Riot or the best, Bonzo goes to Bitburg. Not even close.
I think if you are/were a true punk, you never worry about it. You just are. 12 year olds godfather is a true punker, almost 40 years old and still living the life. Guy made his own bass out of an racquetball court and played it all over the country in garages, basements and second rate punk clubs. Gotta give him credit for tenacity!

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
There are alot of cool punk bands today but you won't find them on any radio station. (Well maybe kexp, they have a fantastic punk show!)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
...you wear the uniform.

What? A mohawk and a leather doesn't make you punk? It's all about style over substance. These days anyway. :rolleyes:
someone (i don't know who) had a great quote:

"it's not what you listen to, it's what you look like you listen to"

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Half of today's bands think they're punk. There's a thin line between rocking out punk power chords and appearing on MTV with tattoos and a makeshift geled mohawk playing 3 power chords because those are the only chord progressions they know.