Quantcast

you know you're an alcoholic when...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DARWIN, Australia (AP) -- An Australian driver who secured a carton of beer in his car with a seat belt but left a 5-year-old child unrestrained was fined 750 Australian dollars ($710; €460), police said Tuesday.

Constable Wayne Burnett said he was "shocked and appalled" when he pulled over the unregistered car on Friday in the central Australian town of Alice Springs.

The 30-can carton was strapped in between the two adults sitting in the back seat of the car. The child was also in back, on the vehicle's floor.

"The child was sitting in the lump in the center, unrestrained," Burnett told reporters Tuesday.

"I haven't ever seen something like this before," he said. "This is the first time that the beer has taken priority over a child."

The driver was fined for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle, and for failing to ensure a child was wearing a seat belt.

Alice Springs Police Superintendent Sean Parnell expressed shock at the incident in a statement released Tuesday.

"This serves as a timely reminder to all drivers to ensure they wear seat belts and ensure as is their responsibility that all passengers in their vehicle are secured in the appropriate manner," he said.
I hope it was at least good beer.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Smells like prioritization...you can always get another kid.
What happened to the days of riding in the back of a pick up truck, flying down the highway at 75, flinging beer cans out as you go? Now those were the good old days...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Smells like prioritization...you can always get another kid.
What happened to the days of riding in the back of a pick up truck, flying down the highway at 75, flinging beer cans out as you go? Now those were the good old days...
Sounds like an ordinary day in my neck of the woods.

BTW, Im enjoying a nice beer right now. About to start painting some trim though. :plthumbsdown:

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Round here we consider MGD good & Natural Light acceptable. If we are feeling spending we buy some Heineken. Heineken is considered awesome.

Apr 30, 2008
all they did was fine the driver? wtf? no one thought it would be a good idea to call child protective survices? Australia is f-ed up. and when it comes to my beer i prefer not to buy anything that comes in a can unless im broke and desperate. and hefeweizens rule.