Quantcast

You lucky high school students!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm sure geographic features like the Grand Canyon weren't just formed by water alone. Tectonic plates shifting is a big factor of such things.

One wonderful example of shift plates is 30 minutes from me... Red Rocks, where you might see live performances of you favorite music artist on CD or DVD.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
Are you actually trying to say that the grand fvcking canyon was a result of the biblical flood?

Creationism isn't satisfied w/ just humankind? It's geological history as well?
My wife and I were staying at the Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon for a couple of nights a few years ago. Every evening, one of the park rangers would give an interpretive lecture outside under the stars. Sort of a relaxing way to end the day in a truly beautiful place. The talks covered topics like geological history of the Grand Canyon and Colorado plateau, local lore, Powell's journey, that sort of thing. Typically, at the conclusion of these talks, the speaker would answer questions for 15 mins or so in a very casual setting.

The ranger delivered a fairly interesting talk on the age of the canyon and the geological forces that formed it, and then opened the talk up to questions. After fielding a few standard questions he was hit by a creationist, asking in a demanding tone why the ranger didn't teach the biblical history of the canyon, that it was 6000 yrs old, had been formed in the flood, and didn't he know there were a lot of "serious" scientists working on the theory producing a lot of "good" work.

There was kind of a hushed silence among the other attendees of what had been, up to that point, a congenial forum. The ranger paused, looked at the fellow, and said in this most even and diplomatic tone, "Sir, I am an employee of the United States Gov't and National Park Service. We teach the geological history as laid out by the United States Geological Survey. If you have issue with that, please take it up with them."

For your enjoyment: Top 50 Atheism Quotes

I particularly like "Atheism: a non-prophet organization."

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Wait a minute...Snuffalufagus is a wooley mamoth?! Woah, a lot of things from my childhood just fell into place.

IMO religion often is just another form of addiction. Some addicts turn to a pipe, some turn to a god. In both cases there is usually a healthy dose of denial.

I have to go watch Evan Almighty to figure this sh!t out.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I asked a Ranger at the station half way between the top and Phantom Ranch where the turkeys came from.

He said, "The winds blow them off the top ledge."

I didn't know turkeys could fly that well and figured they'd splat. So I asked, "They fly down here?"

"No voluntarily," he replied and then he also did an interpretive demonstration of a turkey blowing off the top of the canyon.

The Rangers rock! But I think they all enjoy the local flora ;)

Please do. I haven't had a hearty laugh over pseudoscience in a while.

well lets hear all of your so called scientific "facts"... i cant get ENOUGH laughter from this "billions of years ago" BS

again(times like 3)- i am not trying to push Creationism on any one of you guys, i never will!
in my opinion and according to the Bible, the Lord gave each and every one of us something called free will and leaves Satan to test your faith. its inevitable...

call me stupid, view what i say in this sentence any way you want, but i'm personally done arguing for now. trust me, its not as if i dont have any more evidence supporting my belief and upsetting the evoloutionary THEORY, i am just tired of arguing with the people on a site that i actually look forward to coming online for.

i shouldnt have wrote that i have more(actually i didnt even post that, FCDH nabbed a quick reply as the bell was ringing in school), even though he was correct in saying there is more, i didnt join RM to bicker about the origin of life... i'm sure none of us did.... i just stated my opinion.

H8 me all you want, your beleifs will not change the way i view any of you- your actions will, and personally i hope it is the same for you guys to me. (turns in expectance of onslaught of haters, but hopes that they use some philanthropic tactics to accept this)

again, all of my words have been in my opinion and not said as personal attacks on anyone here... other than how i replied to robdamanii on his personal comment to me, i see no way any of it could be perceived as a personal comment... dont be ignorant and try and slam me for anything of the sort!

i guess we're all monkeys on here right?

Sep 17, 2006
Fair enough. But first before anyone goes bible bashing, I'd like to hear some evidence to really prove evolution as a viable theory. It's important to look at both sides of the argument before coming to a conclusion right?

So far I understand that the average evolutionist believes that in the the beginning there was a spinning ball of super compressed matter (where it came from, I don't know), there was a big bang, in which the matter exploded, thus forming the beginnings of what our universe is now. Approximately 4.6 billion years ago the Earth was formed, a desolate ball of rock, and it rained on the surface of the earth for millions of years (where the water came from, I don't know either). This formed the primordial soup, or solution of complex chemicals. At this time there was no oxygen (how you get rain without oxygen still confuses me), but the rocks absorbed it (according to a recent highschool science book). At 4 billion years ago the first cells came to life out of this chemical broth and somehow survived another 1 billion years without cellular respiration (no oxygen, remember). Then the cycle reversed at 3 billion years ago when photosythesis came about. Finally at 2.05 billion years ago the atmosphere becomes oxygenic (2.55 billion years later). 2 billion years ago - complex cells. 1 billion years ago - multicellular life. 600 million years ago - simple animals (magically formed with faultless DNA). And then the rest of the geolgic column.

So great great great grandpa was a rock.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Your opinion sucks and the bible is just a collection of stories with no solid origins.

Religion is a crutch for the weak. Stop using it.
seriously dude, you've been a huge prick in this thread.

Disagree fine, but let others believe what they want.

Still love you long time :D

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
This thread's just gotten ridiculous. They're both theories and appear ridiculous to the opposing sides. Evolution has us starting from, as mentioned above, a super compressed ball of matter. Creationism (which I, in my atheistic upbringing, is the adam/eve story) has God creating man in a garden where we got kicked out of for eating apples or some fruit and snakes are bad. Do they both not sound a little far-fetched in some way or another? Does it really matter how we got here? No.

So whats wrong with cheetaprowler having different beliefs than a lot of other people here? He's said multiple times it's his opinion. I don't get it.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
well lets hear all of your so called scientific "facts"... i cant get ENOUGH laughter from this "billions of years ago" BS

Oh my god! I just found one. The oh so elusive creationist. My friends are gonna be stocked. This is awesome. I always so they were urban legends. :clapping:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

again(times like 3)- i am not trying to push Creationism on any one of you guys, i never will!
in my opinion and according to the Bible, the Lord gave each and every one of us something called free will and leaves Satan to test your faith. its inevitable...

call me stupid, view what i say in this sentence any way you want, but i'm personally done arguing for now. trust me, its not as if i dont have any more evidence supporting my belief and upsetting the evoloutionary THEORY, i am just tired of arguing with the people on a site that i actually look forward to coming online for.

i shouldnt have wrote that i have more(actually i didnt even post that, FCDH nabbed a quick reply as the bell was ringing in school), even though he was correct in saying there is more, i didnt join RM to bicker about the origin of life... i'm sure none of us did.... i just stated my opinion.

H8 me all you want, your beleifs will not change the way i view any of you- your actions will, and personally i hope it is the same for you guys to me. (turns in expectance of onslaught of haters, but hopes that they use some philanthropic tactics to accept this)

again, all of my words have been in my opinion and not said as personal attacks on anyone here... other than how i replied to robdamanii on his personal comment to me, i see no way any of it could be perceived as a personal comment... dont be ignorant and try and slam me for anything of the sort!

i guess we're all monkeys on here right?
Believe in what you want, I respect a person with conviction. All I ask for your sake and everyone else's is please separate science and religion. They may not always agree but they are two completely different things but not two completely contradictory things. Using science, or portions thereof, to try and prove faith always fails when fully questioned as does faith when trying to prove science. Embrace your faith to fulfill your spiritual/metaphysical needs, embrace and understand science to further your worldly desire for knowledge.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'm sure geographic features like the Grand Canyon weren't just formed by water alone. Tectonic plates shifting is a big factor of such things.

One wonderful example of shift plates is 30 minutes from me... Red Rocks, where you might see live performances of you favorite music artist on CD or DVD.
colorado plateau = uplift, and the erosional forces of water.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Believe in what you want, I respect a person with conviction. All I ask for your sake and everyone else's is please separate science and religion. They may not always agree but they are two completely different things but not two completely contradictory things. Using science, or portions thereof, to try and prove faith always fails when fully questioned as does faith when trying to prove science. Embrace your faith to fulfill your spiritual/metaphysical needs, embrace and understand science to further your worldly desire for knowledge.
Well said. I would also add that everyone accepts certain things on "faith"...just the way the world works. Religion is not a crutch for the weak, nor the opiate of the masses; I don't think those characterizations are particularly helpful or accurate.

Sep 17, 2006
you're right that this isn't a place to be arguing something of this matter. Although I do have one thing to add just for personal need and defense. Christianity (not all religion in general) can make sense in conjunction to science when you view spiritual matters as present in multiple extraneous dimensions as in quantum physics. Sure it would still fall under the category of a theory as most people define it, but it would be perfectly logic. At least it would explain why they can't be seen (due to the ability to only observe lesser, not greater dimensions)

It's just some food for thought. What you do with it doesn't concern me