Quantcast

You SoCal guys ok?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The Southern California Deserts are rocking tonight
Southern California was jolted by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake at 8:19 p.m. on Friday one day after the region was hit by a 6.4 quake, the USGS reports.
The epicenter was 10.5 miles away from Ridgecrest, Calif., and there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. According to the USGS, the quake was felt as far north as San Jose and as far south as parts of Mexico.
After Friday night's quake, the USGS said Thursday's 6.4 quake was a "foreshock" for the earthquake Friday night, and Southern California residents should expect aftershocks.
The USGS also did not rule out the possibility that Friday night's 7.1 quake could be a foreshock to something even bigger. After Thursday's quake, USGS officials said there was a 5 percent chance a bigger quake could strike the same region.
"With any earthquake, there is a 5 percent chance something even bigger will happen within the next three days," USGS seismologist Susan Hough told SFGATE on Thursday. "If it did, it would be in the same remote area." A 5.4 quake early Friday morning was the largest aftershock of the Fourth of July quake.
The quake was felt in both Los Angeles and Las Vegas. An NBA Summer League game between the New York Knicks and New Orleans Pelicans in Las Vegas was postponed indefinitely.
Thursday's quake struck at 10:33 a.m., and was the largest temblor to strike the region in 20 years, until Friday night. According to the USGS, the 7.1-magnitude earthquake was 11 times stronger than the 6.4 earthquake.
http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Quakes/ci38457511.html

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Been there, got the T-shirt. Still shell-shocked. Not fun to live through this. Immediately after, we were getting aftershocks every 5 minutes or so, they eventually became further apart...that took around 3-4 months. The seismologists were spot on about the causes, the delayed effects and how it would propagate afterwards, which made it seem a little better, but it was a hell of a wild ride that I don't want to repeat.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thankfully it's out in BFE. Even still, my mom's said it was the biggest quake she's felt in over 15 years. They are OC coast though, @kazlx and @-BB- are going to be closer, but still both OC. No sane people live that far out.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Thankfully it's out in BFE. Even still, my mom's said it was the biggest quake she's felt in over 15 years. They are OC coast though, @kazlx and @-BB- are going to be closer, but still both OC. No sane people live that far out.
There's a large military installation in Ridgecrest/China Lake so population is greater than you'd normally expect for such remote area.

I felt the last night's earthquake, 200+ miles from the epicenter.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There's a large military installation in Ridgecrest/China Lake so population is greater than you'd normally expect for such remote area.

I felt the last night's earthquake, 200+ miles from the epicenter.
Something like 20k? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Twice as a kid, both times at home. The freakiest part was the high pitch "twang" the fishing line made from all my model airplanes that were hanging from the ceiling several seconds before you could actually feel the earth shake. :fie:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Twice as a kid, both times at home. The freakiest part was the high pitch "twang" the fishing line made from all my model airplanes that were hanging from the ceiling several seconds before you could actually feel the earth shake. :fie:
A few months ago we got pretty good at hearing the aftershocks before they’d hit. There was a low frequency rumble like a dumptruck driving through your neighborhood that would proceed the earthquake by several seconds.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Aerial view of faulted road on the China Lake NAWS base. Total measured right-lateral offset of about 6.5 feet and approx 3 feet vertical. Large offset at bottom of pic is ~5 feet. SO COOL!! #Ridgecrest#earthquake #RidgecrestEarthquake
From (mrbrianolson) https://t.co/qMMJZNgcq5

Look up our earthquake pictures where the soil liquified, real interesting, especially when zoomed out. That’s the real problem up here. Once it liquifies it amplifies the effects like crazy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Look up our earthquake pictures where the soil liquified, real interesting, especially when zoomed out. That’s the real problem up here. Once it liquifies it amplifies the effects like crazy.

Something like 17% of Seattle is built on filled tide lands that will liquefy. Only a few of the newest buildings were built with sufficient piling to prevent a complete loss in such a circumstance. There is a 30% chance of a >9.0 in the next fifty years. I am slowly seismically retrofitting my house but I suspect it will make little difference. Not too long ago earthquakes weren't even considered a threat here so the area is totally unprepared. This place will become turn into the third world overnight. I suspect the seasoned and practiced homeless will have a good laugh.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Where I was during loma prieta was inside Pizza my Heart on the beach at the Capitol Esplanade. Wooden building on pilings driven into the sand at the mouth of Soquel Creek. That area and the Marina District of San Francisco suffered liquifaction and the most severe ground movement. I remember the 1000 pound 500* pizza ovens bouncing in the air, their doors opening and closing in syncronous harmony, door jambs flexing 20* each way for 30 seconds, everything coming off the shelves and hitting us. Then silence followed by a chocking dust clound from the collapse of the beach cliffs. Zeldas kitchen catching on fire as i struggled to turn the rusty gas valves that fed all the restaurants. It took everyones fire extinguishers to put it out. Then we headed for high ground. I was on my MT Bike and from the top of the hill you could see the smoke from the fires in Santa Cruz and Watsonville. we had no power for a week and constant aftershocks

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, all good here. Wife and I were watching a movie on the couch and both initially thought the other was kicking or moving around. Then it started to roll more. Our pool sloshed over and was moving pretty good. Other than that, we are pretty far from it and even though we felt it roll pretty good, there wasn't any damage and it was pretty mild.