Quantcast

You'd need a high class hooker to have more fun for $500!

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Weak sauce I am afraid....anemic brakes and tires.

Pick up a Monocog or a KM from someone cheap and get some Cody Fenders and a set of moustache bars for it instead. But if you have ever ridden M bars much you will probably know that they are hard on the wrists and opt for some Mary's or drops or some such instead. It probably won't cost you much more and you'll get the ability to have some real binders and a much broader range of tire sizes. I really like running fats on my townie because you can run over just about anything and not care about it. But when it is time to do some serious road work you can lay on the skinnies and pump her up. But Nano's at 50 psi roll pretty darn fast.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

Pick up a Monocog or a KM from someone cheap and get some Cody Fenders and a set of moustache bars for it instead. But if you have ever ridden M bars much you will probably know that they are hard on the wrists and opt for some Mary's or drops or some such instead. It probably won't cost you much more and you'll get the ability to have some real binders and a much broader range of tire sizes. I really like running fats on my townie because you can run over just about anything and not care about it. But when it is time to do some serious road work you can lay on the skinnies and pump her up. But Nano's at 50 psi roll pretty darn fast.

awww man.... hate to hear this bike is the weaksauce...

thought it was kinda nifty being a ss or a fixie.

:(

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH

:disgust1:

WTF? That is a great bike for the money. For a pure commuter, I'd rather have those skinny tires and moustache bars than a monocog anyday. I seriously considered one of those when I bought my super-hybrid.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
The past 2 weeks I mainly commuted the singlespeed road bike (first in long).
28mm lightweight tires, which are actually like 25-27 I think.
Perfectly smooth asphalt for most of the way.
Before, I've mostly done this on at least 29x2.0 and preferably 2.35" slicks. The road bike is like a punishment in comparison.

$329 Motobecane bike
$50 fatty slick tires
$15 fenders
$20 Origin8 Space bar
That should work fine as a commuter. Swap to a 32t Surly SS chainring ($35?) and you've got yourself a fun offroader to mount the original knobbies on.

Still waiting to se a geometry sheet on the bike somewhere. Although for commuting, it likely is spot-on.

brant

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
Is that the first production bike with a moustache bar since the Bridgestone XO-1?

Respect!

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
awww man.... hate to hear this bike is the weaksauce...

thought it was kinda nifty being a ss or a fixie.

:(
My local shop has one and it is awesome, what a ball to ride. Weak brakes? Ride it fixed!