Quantcast

Your Best Bokeh!

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
300mm at 2.8 is a beautiful thing.
Agreed... Here is my Equivalent... since i have a Crop Body 200MM = 300MM...

2.8 is GREAT!

Exit Data:

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D300
Image Date: 2009:04:19 02:20:32
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 200.0mm (35mm equivalent: 300mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0005 s (1/2000)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 200
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ahh okay.... either way, good Bokeh!
A quick explanation stolen from the tubes.

Two images taken from the same location, one with a wide angle lens and the other with a telephoto lens, will show identical perspective, in that near and far objects appear the same relative size to each other. Comparing magnification by using a long lens to magnification by moving closer, however, the telephoto shot appears to compress the distance between objects due to the perspective from the more distant location. Long lenses thus give a photographer an alternative to the type of perspective distortion exhibited by shorter focal length lenses where (when the photographer stands closer to the given subject) different portions of a subject in a photograph can appear out of proportion to each other.
Long lenses also make it easier to blur the background more, even when the depth of field is the same; photographers will sometimes use this effect to defocus the background in an image to "separate" it from the subject.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Uh, no. The longer the actual lens, the more it compresses the background and effects bokeh. All a crop body does is...crop.
assuming you're printing at the same size he's right tho, as the printing effectively enlarges that "200mm" print to "300mm" enlargement.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
assuming you're printing at the same size he's right tho, as the printing effectively enlarges that "200mm" print to "300mm" enlargement.
Yep, it's not quite as cut and dry as a crop body just cropping, because the pixel density is higher on that crop body.

For instance, the 24 megapixel D3x gives you a 10 megapixel 1.5x crop. Which means that the pixel density on the D300 is still higher.

For bokeh, a full frame body will provide you a smaller depth of field for the same framing, since the full frame body is using a 300mm lens and the crop body is using a 200mm lens... but for resolution/magnification purposes, the higher pixel density of the crop body really does bring it close to the resolution/magnification of that 300mm lens.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yep, it's not quite as cut and dry as a crop body just cropping, because the pixel density is higher on that crop body.

For instance, the 24 megapixel D3x gives you a 10 megapixel 1.5x crop. Which means that the pixel density on the D300 is still higher.

For bokeh, a full frame body will provide you a smaller depth of field for the same framing, since the full frame body is using a 300mm lens and the crop body is using a 200mm lens... but for resolution/magnification purposes, the higher pixel density of the crop body really does bring it close to the resolution/magnification of that 300mm lens.
Correct. However, in neither case, the 200mm lens give you the same compression of DOF as a 300mm lens. Optically, they are still different and light reacts differently in them. The way/size they are recorded does not change that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Correct. However, in neither case, the 200mm lens give you the same compression of DOF as a 300mm lens. Optically, they are still different and light reacts differently in them. The way/size they are recorded does not change that.
i don't think this is correct. DOF depends on sensor density (aka "circle of confusion"), effective focal length, and subject distance… and that's it assuming your lens is wide open. being stopped down brings up issues with number of blades in the aperture, etc.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I bought a 75-150mm f/3.5 manual focus Nikon Series E off eBay for like $50, and it produces some of the most outstanding bokeh I've ever seen.

Haven't dug through my pictures to find the absolute best examples but this was in my unfiled directory:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I'll up ya one! My co-worker Mike R nabbed this last year with my camera at the PLO!

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'll throw up a couple random family shots from the weekend:

and yes, having lots of fun with the 100mm f2 I got over the winter (still getting used to the focus, it's finicky for some reason).

edit: and yes, I'm pissed at myself that I left the camera at ISO800 after taking some inside shots when I was outside taking pics of my niece. grrrrrrrrrr.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
holy sh*t.

what is that kid thinking with his hair.

other than that....i like your pictures.