Quantcast

Your Bike and Jenny Craig

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
What is the weight of your bike?

I just put another Hei Hei 29 fs together and hit the scale before it went out the door. Right at the 30# mark like N8 said. Took mine to the scale next and with fender, splash guard, Rock ring,Shimano M424 clips, chain stay wrapped and computer 31#8oz. This weekend I start swapping out the parts I have been acquiring.

My Kula 29 ht set up as above with the rest stock chimed in at 28#12oz

Both bike are 18" frames

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
ugh, 29ers are heavy(er) there's no way around that.

my inbred SS with full race build (mega-light wheels) is around 26# with a Reba fork.

my RIP9 isn't built yet, but after weighing most of the separate parts and frame, it should come in around 32# with a durable build.

tires/wheels are really the issue, i'd probably lose 2 full pounds off the race bike if i was willing to run real race tires (Crow, karma etc.) but i prefer traction....

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'll never understand the fascination with bike weight. I guess it would be different if I raced. As long as I'm riding more than I'm walking I'm happy.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Wheels are the first to go. Ringle'/Mavic TN719 build w/15g spokes and alloy nipples. Saddle/post now. Cassette and tubeless tires later.

BikeGeek I never cared too much about weight considering its cheaper for me to lose it than the bike. I'm doing a 24hr later and don't want the weight penalty

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
My Kula 29 ht set up as above with the rest stock chimed in at 28#12oz

Both bike are 18" frames
We'll have to put yours on the scale. I don't have one that small here. My ht has those big platform pedals on it also. By next week it should have the candy sl's like yours

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I'm reluctant to weigh mine, but it's gotta be over 30#. It's a HT SS Retrotec w/ twin top tubes and an extra "beauty" or "tank" tube. Added to that initial weight penalty, I'm running BB7s, a FSA V-drive Extreme cranks and a bash guard. But really, I think I'd be just as slow if it was 25#, and I'd rather have the peace of mind that comes with stout parts. I had Curtis us a +1 philosophy when choosing the tubeset for the frame, telling him I was not an elegant rider and valued durability over compliance.
- Joe

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Don't get me wrong on the weight issue.I won't give one inch on durability! I could shed more weight than the bike. I'm just curious as to what other bikes weight in at. A few of us ( snacks included ) are doing a 24hr and don't want the extra weight but these are our daily riders also.

I worked really hard to get the weight down on the wheels and not make them race only. The post I'm changing is only marginally lighter than stock but I wanted the cockpit to be the same as my Kula 29 so there wouldn't be any difference.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The HiFi Deluxe, stock and ready to ride weighed just a shade over 28lbs. The OS Bikes Blackbuck came in right at 25lbs as you see it.

I'm testing a Diamondback Overdrive Pro that weighs just north of 32lbs! That said, it really is a fun bike to ride, for the price you pay for it. (About a grand)

I usually err on the side of durability. I went through the lightweight parts binge in the mid 90's and paid dearly! ($$$$)

Attachments

croscoe

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
My bike was 28 lbs stock... with the new wheels/tires, it'll probably be 32ish... I don't really care though.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
The old girl has shed almost two pounds and still has all the winter gear for mud on it. Biggest investmest was the wheels. Tubeless next week. I think N8 and his buddy were right on target.

:spam:Sligtly used wheelset cheap. PM me

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Watching you weight that Sat I would have bet it was going to weigh a couple more pounds. 34# is impressive for that build.