May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Main Entry: pa·tri·ot·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈpā-trē-ə-ˌti-zəm, chiefly British ˈpa-\
Function: noun
Date: circa 1726
: love for or devotion to one's country

Election eve thoughts.

The terms patriot and patriotism have been bounced around alot lately...everyone (Political candidates mostly...) thinks they are a patriot, and accuses the other of not being one. How do you define it?? Although not a definition per se, I like Edward R Murrows quote..."We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it."
Also Twains, "Loyalty to country always, loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

By definition...are we patriots simply by loving ones country? To what degree? How many of would willingly die for your country? What sacrifices will you make to ensure that the next generations enjoy similiar benefits to yours?
I need coffee..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I first joined the military, I had a long sit down with my grandfather (on my dad's side) who was the only other member of my family to ever do so. It was also the only real heart to heart he and I ever had.

He felt that it was every son's duty to serve at least one stint in the military to give back all that you have and will be given in this country. He never chastised my father for not joining because he went to college and later became a professor, teaching the future of this country.

While I don't fully agree with my grandfathers idea of a moral mandatory service, I do think that everyone should do SOMETHING to give back. Not necessarily a lifetime of commitment, but like a Mormon does for his faith. 2 years in a community service like the National Guard, Active military, peace corp, habitat for humanity, something to give back either before or after college.

I was willing to die for my country and I hope to feel that passion again. That passion died on the second term of the Bush Administration. But I think a true patriot is someone who puts service to the community and ultimately the country first at some point in life.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Patriotism and idea of sacrificing your life for your country should be directly related to the size of the opponent.

I listened to Bill Hicks, who was active in the 80's, probably the least "patriotic" time in the last 50 years. We were recovering from an unnecessary and racist war, and we right in the midst of the Me Generation.

There has been a lot of press for Harvey Milk for the upcoming biopic. Here is a man who served his country during war and became a politician and civil rights activist who died in service of his city during a time of huge crisis for gays.

Again, there is many standards of patriotism.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Winds of patriotism renewed - Election brings a liberal zeal for Old Glory
Ronnie Chapman has hidden away his American flag for much of the past eight years. "I felt it was no longer a symbol of the country I love, but of Bush and support for his war," said the 48-year-old pharmacist from Cary. "The first thing I did the morning after the election was take it from my den and fly it proudly in front of my house."

Chapman's response to the presidential election reflects the emergence of an unusual -- and some might say contradictory -- new figure: the flag-waving liberal.

After a divisive presidency and strident campaign in which patriotism was used as a wedge issue, supporters of President-elect Barack Obama are hanging flags, donning Old Glory lapel pins and humming the national anthem.

"We just feel this pride and this swelling of joy," said Cheryl Kimmel, 49, of Cary, who worked on Obama's campaign with her 18-year-old daughter, Jeanelle Alexander. "We're extremely proud to be Americans today."

"For years it's felt like patriotism was a Republican thing," said Raven Moeslinger, 21, a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill. "Now I feel like we've reclaimed it."

"The night after the election, I got in bed and started reading the Declaration of Independence for the first time in a long time," said Sherry Harmon, 55, of Cary.
hurry up, dubya - shred this, too!