Quantcast

Your First Bike?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I remember mine, a red shwin. It was the coolest thing in town, with its curved glossy frame. Too bad i couldnt ride it on grass.. :D

my dad taught me on the grass, and told me too look at the horizon...then i fell.

any one wanna share?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My first real bike was a Trek SubDude BMX...then I got a DiamondBack XC bike which was stolen....then in 2000 I got a Gary Fisher Tassajara and its been nonstop since then.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by chicodude01
a 50's banana seat cruiser. it broke when i was seven after i took it dirt jumping.

:D
Same here. The rich kids in my neighborhood on Redlines, Fujis, GTs and Diamondbacks laughed at the banana seat, so I took it off and installed a big ol' springer tractor-type seat and painted the frame metallic purple. The still laughed. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my true first was a murray bmx. it had a hard plastic seat with holes in its shell instead of padding :eek:

but this was my first real mountain bike:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Softy
I dig the pro flex frame but the Girvin flex stem is nutty.:confused:
i agree in full. :eek: i quickly bent the fork on that bike back towards the downtube in my early take on "freeriding" (as in i rode whistler via the lift back before any of the trails were built, in 1995 or so), and when it was replaced with a high tech rock shox quadra the flexstem was replaced in turn by a seriously sweet syncros quill stem. that thing was massive, and soooo nice.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
1961 Schwinn Typhoon balloon tire cruiser [um yeah it was brand new at the time] followed by a 5 speed stingray in 1966

yeah I'm old but hey I can still remember some things through the drug induced haze that lasted from the mid 70's though 1990:eek:

I'm suprised that I am more than moderately functional at this point in life....whats your excuse:p

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
My very first 2-wheeled bike was yellow and had plastic tires. I refused to ride with training wheels, so spent what seemed like forever rolling down the hill at the front of the house until one day I rode into the street, rode around the circle we lived on, then rode up our driveway and crashed into the station wagon. I think I was two years old.

Sadly, that bike disappeared when my mom advised me to donate it to the church rummage sale. I didn't get the concept that I was giving my bike away. I was BUMMED when I learned my bike was gone. Soon after I got a JC Penney fake Stingray, which by the time I was ten had been converted to a ten-speed seat, "MX" bars and "MX" grips, and broke shortly after.

Great question, thanks for the chance to remember all that.

my first real bike....that's not a costco bike....a 2000 Gt xCR 4000. loved that thing, except the stock shock sucked major balls. the rebound was soooo slow I swear it was like hitting a bean bag on a fast trail. but it was anice bike for climbing though....but the back end was never feeling like the 4.6 inches that is claimed. oh well

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
1st Bike: Hardcore Ninja Turtles "chain bike" (that's all my 4-year-old mind could think of)

1st "Real" Mtn. bike: Trek Mountain track... 24", some craptacular less-than-one-inch-of-travel fork...

1st REAL Mtn. Bike: Fisher Tassajara.