Quantcast

Your first car

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal

I was 18 and beat the absolute **** out of the car. I often had 5 bmx bikes hanging out the trunk.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Driving home at about 4:30am, knowing I was grounded, I hit about 120 going down a hill here in Reno, and some jackass ran the light down the hill. I hit the brakes, got it sideways, hooked it over the "sky bump" in the road. Flipped 10 times.
But I thought that they had awesome suspension to make up for that "large engine hanging off the rear axle" layout? :biggrin:

1st car I owned (free) was a rusted out '77 Camaro (this was 1993) with the mighty 305 V8. 3sp auto, and a breathtaking 140hp trying to push around 3800lbs. At least with the crappy suspension and partially bald tires, it SEEMED like you were going fast as you'd get tire squeal going around every corner...

1st car I bought myself was a 1988 Prelude, with a 5sp and 140hp pushing around ~2600lbs. Suddenly "fast" took on a whole new meaning...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
You expect poor people to be on a serious mountain bike forum... I mean seriously. :brow:

kid down the road has a bike that is $100
we have a bike that is $1000

kid down the car drives a car that was $2000
we drive cars that are $20,000
:rofl: no, it's more like the kid down the street has a $100 bike on a $20,000 car. with mountain bikers I see a $1000 ($5,000?) bike on top of a $500 car.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Go ahead, flame away, I deserve it. :busted:

Ha, mine was just like this color and all, except of course mine had t-tops.
We got it straight from my dad's mechanic, and it was his personal car, so it was in good shape,well except the the t-tops leaked like a Nawleans Levy.
Sometimes I can still the smell the mildew, spilled 40 ounces and cheap perfume.:twitch:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
hey Tony, nice car! you heading the shore later on?
i don't think they allow you to cruise the shore unless you've got the full Firebird painted on the hood...some kind of stipulation. i think it's in accordance with the slicked back hair and/or mesh tank-tops.

That's what I pictured Manhattanprjkt17339951123565661 driving.
or this guy

Last edited:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
1987 VW GTi. had it and loved it for about 6 months, then it randomly blew a hole in the transfer case. moved on to a J.e.e.p. Cherokee (Just Empty Every Pocket).

bad picture. fun little car though. always wanted to upgrade it but all i got around to doing was having the wheels painted and getting a new grille put on.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
A chevrolet 1989 R2500.. a giant white crew cab long bed pickup with a 6.2l diesel engine. It was an old police truck with spotlight/etc so naturally the first thing I did was add a loudspeaker to it. :biggrin:
It was the perfect shuttle truck, save for the bad suspension.

With bad rings, worn injection pump, loose idler arm, extremely bald tires (the front left one had a hemroid the size of your fist!), rotting engine mounts and a broken transmission mount that made the vehicle bump when you first put it in reverse, everyone who stepped in or drove it got their turn to chance death.

Insurance for it was 100 bux/6 months. I didn't have comprehensive, but I did bump the personal injury and property damages up to the "preferred" amounts. This was in late 2007.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My first vehicle was a '92 Jeep XJ. Wish I still had it as a trail rig to beat the piss out of.
Ditto. I bought mine from the 'rents. I miss 'ol Blacky, but with a leaky gas tank and the slipping transmission, it was time to move on.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I got lucky. From the age of about five, every time we'd visit my grandparents, I would ask grandpa to pull out their 1965 Mustang so I could wash/wax it. I was obsessed with the car, and after my grandfather passed, my grandmother gave it to me on my 16th birthday. It was my daily driver in HS and college in some nasty Northern Arizona winters. Babied it, and never modified it other than adding dual exhaust. Had it repainted the original color in 1991... other than that and some normal-wear parts, it's all original.

225hp/4 bbl carb and 3-speed automatic. Not super-fast but enough to keep a smile on my face. With the ancient suspension it corners like a bathtub, but it's still fun. It's a weekend/car show driver now.

Pic of it at last May's "Mustang Mania" here in Tucson. Took 2nd in street driven unrestored: