Quantcast

Your Full Suspension Cross Country Set-ups - let's See em

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well I sold my Belair frame and I acquired some Mavic 317 wheels recently - so I'm getting ready to build up a more XC/Endurance riding type of full suspension bike.

And I'm looking for ideas.

So.............show me whatcha got! Pics and specs and weight would be killer.

Thanks!

Mark

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
No pics, but I picked up that free Specialized FSR the other day. It needs work. The fork is so stiff it might as well be rigid, the shock is really squishy, the cables are all stretched out, the cranks, BB, and rings are shot. :dead: I'm looking forward to working on it though. I've never worked on a FS bike.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
No pics, but I picked up that free Specialized FSR the other day. It needs work. The fork is so stiff it might as well be rigid, the shock is really squishy, the cables are all stretched out, the cranks, BB, and rings are shot. :dead: I'm looking forward to working on it though. I've never worked on a FS bike.
Tim - if you need a fork for it, I have one for sale in the buy and sell at a great price - 2001 Manitou X-Vert Air with TPC+. :thumb:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
22-24lb Titus Loco Moto, sorry no pics right now. Build has changed a bit over the years (I've had this frame for 3 seasons) but here is how it sits right now.

'02 X-Large frame with Float RL
'04 Vanilla RL
Martas with Stan's aluminum rotors (1 wavy prototype)
Thomson stem and post
Monkeylite riser (not SL)
SRAM XO shifters and rear derailleur
WTB Laser V Stealth w/ti rails
King Headset
FRM ISIS bottom bracket with custom double bearing driveside setup
Truvativ Stylo Team cranks
Time ATAC Carbon with Stan's kit (ti axle, ti springs, and aluminum pins)
Foam grips
Hutchison Mosquito Golds (2.0) or Kenda Karmas
One of the following wheelsets - ZTR355/Hugi 240s, ZTR Olympic/Hugi 240s, 317/Hugi 240 - may build some special Olympic rims to some King hubs this winter, all sets running tubeless

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
xbluethunderx said:
You got a Loco-Moto down to under 25? Nice...Me want Racer-X 100 :(
Sure did, but I have access to a lot of non-production lighweight parts that I test for Stan. If I had to pay full price ... I wouldn't.

Racer X 100 would be my 1st choice if I did any racing at all.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
You know mine... Yeti 575. Complete buildup is on my website, let me know if you have any questions. And yes, there are a few things I would do differently now that I've ridden it for a while.

The biggest thing is that I'd put less money into the shifters/derailleurs. I bought into all the XO hype. It's a good der, but for me, XT stuff would have been fine, and that would have freed up $100 or so for better cranks.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well you know my bike, Mark...but just to chime in anyway...

2002 Quasi Moto
Vanilla w/Propedal shock
Vanilla fork (125mm)
Mavic 221 rims with XT hubs
Avid mechanical brakes
Answer Pro Taper riser bar
XT drivetrain

31 lbs

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
Tim - if you need a fork for it, I have one for sale in the buy and sell at a great price - 2001 Manitou X-Vert Air with TPC+. :thumb:
Thanks Mark, I'll keep that in mind. I want to tear this fork apart to see what's up with it before I buy another.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO

The only thing I've changed since this pic was taken is that I've tossed the Maxxis Larson TT's for some tires that actually work for XC - Panaracer Fire XC 2.1's.

Build:

Fork: FOX TALAS RLC
Rear shock: FOX RP3
Headset: CANE CREEK S-2
Bottom Bracket: INTEGRATED W/ TRUVATIV CRANK
Crankset: TRUVATIV STYLO SL 42X32X22
Front Der: SHIMANO XT
Rear Der: SHIMANO XT SGS
Shifters: SHIMANO LX
Cassette: SRAM 7.0 11X32
Chain: SHIMANO HG-93
Hubs F-R: ARC-YETI / SHIMANO 525
Rims: MAVIC XM 317
Tires: PANARACER FIRE XC 2.1
Brakes/Levers: HAYES HFX-9 XC - 6"
Handlebar: TRUVATIV TEAM CARBON RISER
Stem: TRUVATIV TEAM 3-D (100MM)
Grips: YETI HARD CORE
Saddle: YETI / WTB ROCKET V cro-mo
Seatpost: TRUVATIV TEAM (27.2MM)

I did not choose any of these components except the Talas and the tires. This was the stock "Enduro Disc" setup provided directly from Yeti.

Not EXACTLY sure of the weight. Bike weighted 29.8 lbs when I wheeled it out the door. Lost around 2.3 lbs when I switched tires, so that would put it right about 27.5 lbs.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
MMcG said:
Holy Moly that is one light Loco-Moto build!!

Mike B are you looking at the new Motolites now??
Yeah, Mark I'm looking at the Motolite - I think I pm'ed my demo days review to you at some point. The first 2 production runs are already sold out to dealers and individuals so it will now be at least March/April time frame until they have any for sale again. I really like the bike but I want mine anodized, not powdercoat which is my only hang up about it.

When you see that weight, keep in mind I've got some Olympic rims that are 287g each - for testings sake, and if you pick through the pile, you can find Karmas that weight 420-420 grams. Also, a prototype wavy aluminum rotor in a 160mm weighs < 50g. I'm not a weight weenie myself but Stan is and I benefit from it. Keep in mind, I'm 175lb without riding gear and I haven't broken anything yet. If I started breaking stuff I'd ditch the lightweight goods in a second.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Just finished last week.

Giant VT2 frame 18.5 in Team Blue
Manitou Black Super Air
Thomson Stem and Seatpost
Azonic CF-1 Handlebar
ODI lock on ruffian clue collar
Full XT w/XTR rear derailleur
XT disc hub to Sun Rhyno Lite Wheels
XT discs the 4 piston models
WTB Rocket V ti saddle
Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1 black folding
For special performance I put on some regular old cables and housing.

I might have pics next week. Hopefully.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
No problem Tim - what kind of fork is it?
It's a Manitou, not sure of the model. It has a sticker that reads "Pro" and another with the Specialized logo with "LT" under it, then "Long Travel" under that. Was the "Pro" an old Manitou model?

I actually got it functioning last night. The previous user had one of the knobs on top at the extreme "+" side, and the other knob all the way to the "-" side. I'm not sure which knob is which yet, but I centered them and the fork got a more responsive. I won't know if it's usable until I get a chance to take it apart. There is some hard gunk around the one top-cap that looks like it leaked out then hardened.

*edit* I just Googled it, and found that the Pro is an old Manitou model. "Long Travel" in this case means 80mm :rolleyes:

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
pixelninja said:
Specs and weight?
It's a medium frame with full 756 XT kit besides the deore discs and the XTR rear derailleur. I'm planing on putting on some XT discs and some tubeless wheels in the near future . The bike, with some WTB XC 2.1 tires, came out to be about 29 lbs. I'm guessing it weighs about 31 with these fatty Kenda tires.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
genpowell71 said:
But do you really need to worry about weight with a Foes? Its a kick arse ride and takes a h3ll of a pounding.
Oh, I've never worried about the weight :thumb:. Never even weighed untill the post in this thread. I've beat the snot out of mine, it's held up under my 195lb carcass pretty well. Light weight bikes need not apply

warthog

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
San Luis Obispo Ca.
2002 Kona Mano-Mano frame w/ Fox Float RL shock
2004 Manitou Black Super SPV
Syncros Lil' Snapper rims w/Chris King hubs, 14/15 DT spokes 32h
Truvativ Stylo Team cranks
959 pedals
XTR derailluers
XT shifters
Titec Hellbent XC bars
Truvativ Team SL stem (Koski in photo, just replaced it)
Avid SD-Ti brakes and levers
Specialized Team Control SL 1.9 front tire
Love/Slime Mona Lisa 1.85 semi-tubeless rear tire
26.2 lbs.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Click the link in my sig "-XC-" to see my bike, I'll save the bandwidth for those interested.

Bike is a Kona Bear (Dawg) built with XTR/XT, carbon bars King/Mavic EX823' wheels, etc. The total weight is 30lb exactly with 2.5 Michi Wildgripper UST's. The bike is very strong for how light it is.

Shredder

Chimp
Sep 28, 2003
Bellingham, WA

2004 Intense Spyder - L
Fox F100X
Manitou Swinger 3-way
FSA wheels, carbon bars, seatpost, cranks, headset
Sram X.O derailleur, shifters
Magura Marta brakes
Nokon cables
Conti tires w/Stans

24-25 lbs

xl_cheese

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
It's a lil different now. The cranks are on my SS (see other thread) This bike has the RF deus cranks now.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
2003 Specialized Enduro Expert FSR

Fox Float RLC
Fox Talas RL
Shimano:
Hubs garbage...
BB garbage...
Clipless caged pedals
LX cranks
XT M755 4 piston hydro disc
XT derauiluer
FSA bash ring
Sram 9.0 cassette 11-34
Sram PC-69 chain
Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends
Yeti grips
Azonic Double Wall 1.5 risers
Easton EA-70 stem
Specialized seatpost quick release
Thomson Seatpost
Specialized Avatar Gel Saddle
Mavic X223 rims
Maxxis 2.35 Minion DH front and rear respectively

Hubs/BB/and possibly rims to be replaced when i blow them up....

weight 32lbs.