Quantcast

Your go-to tools

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
What retaining ring pliers do you use? I have a cheap no name set that can be a bit frustrating and a knipex on which I bend the tip first time I used it...
One that work for Guide levers would be nice too.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Never bought a pre-built wheel, can't see why I ever would. I have a friend who builds awesome wheels for me for spare parts or beer. I'd be down for an RM Spokey if it happened.

My favorite tool is my shock bushing tool that @4130biker (I think? It's been a while, sorry) made for me for RMSS.

Felco cable cutters are awesome as are Knipex cable tie cutters (so unnecessary, but so worth it).

Lezyne Dirt Drive floor pump has set up every tubeless tire I've ever mounted without a fuss. No need for a compressor.

I resisted buying master link pliers for a long time, but they sure are handy. Those are Park, because I bought them from a bike shop, which is petty much the only reason to ever buy Park. I also have a Park big blue toolbox that was a gift and is fucking sweet.

Oh, and I'm with @jonKranked on beer. Fuck the corporate overlords.
That was me- I’m glad you like the bushing tool! :cheers:

Good to hear that you like it, my dad designed the Spokey over 30 years ago and we are still making them. If this site still had enough members I'd be totally down with producing a RM edition Spokey, but I doubt we could get enough people together for this to be feasible.
i've always used the Park spoke wrenches and have several, but upon this little gem of knowledge, i will promptly get a Spokey and ditch the old doodads...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My latest bike came with a DT350/Stan's Flow combo, I made it a little more round/true, and haven't touched it in a year of a LOT of riding.
Impressed, actually. One of the side benefits of the wider rim rage is that they are getting stronger, too.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
What retaining ring pliers do you use? I have a cheap no name set that can be a bit frustrating and a knipex on which I bend the tip first time I used it...
One that work for Guide levers would be nice too.
I bought these recently for my Lyrik rebuild and they're pretty solid:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CHANNELLOCK-Snap-Ring-Pliers/50424410?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-PliersAndWrenches-_-50424410:CHANNELLOCK&CAWELAID=&kpid=50424410&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1192&k_clickID=c7fffd84-b959-4c9e-9b8f-83c917d3fe9b&gclid=CjwKCAjwuO3cBRAyEiwAzOxKssiHOFfSu0KO3xxJDWVWsUPcUFcQc_rfeAgGLnLNsmkrBgqQIDvH_BoCDpIQAvD_BwE

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Was talking more about unlocking quick links. I am fully aware that channel locks for wheel true is using the wrong sized hammer to diffuse a hand grenade.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Out of interest, can anyone on this thread recommend a shock pump that doesn't suck? If you could suggest one that not only doesn't suck but also has easily sourced replacement hoses / fittings you'd basically be a god in my eyes.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Usually just stick to the rockshox one at work, switching to their digital one when I want to be a bit more anal about exactly what pressure I'm putting in.
Reliable, easy to read gauge, inexpensive.
I don't rate the Birzman & Lezyne ones at all.

I don't know about any dedicated shock pumps that do replacement hoses?
I'd question what your doing with it if you're trashing those on a regular basis?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I'd question what your doing with it if you're trashing those on a regular basis?
Servicing suspension in a commercial setting. Hoses blow all the time and leave behind perfectly serviceable gauges, bodies and so on. Sucks to throw those away because no one sells replacement parts.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Good to hear that you like it, my dad designed the Spokey over 30 years ago and we are still making them. If this site still had enough members I'd be totally down with producing a RM edition Spokey, but I doubt we could get enough people together for this to be feasible.
Count me in! When shall I start throwing money on your direction?

Usually just stick to the rockshox one at work, switching to their digital one when I want to be a bit more anal about exactly what pressure I'm putting in
This. Although there are at least three different versions of the RS pump. I've found the one with the removable pressure gauge (a rebranded Giyo) to be the least reliable.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Out of interest, can anyone on this thread recommend a shock pump that doesn't suck? If you could suggest one that not only doesn't suck but also has easily sourced replacement hoses / fittings you'd basically be a god in my eyes.
If it helps, I have an old Stratos shock pump that is pretty terrible.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My latest bike came with a DT350/Stan's Flow combo, I made it a little more round/true, and haven't touched it in a year of a LOT of riding.
Impressed, actually. One of the side benefits of the wider rim rage is that they are getting stronger, too.
Yeah, I'm not against machine built wheels. Modern machines stress relieve and can do very well. I'm just against the dip-shit stuff like 8-spoke shimano wheels, the paired dumbass spoke crack-brothers cobalt wheels, radial lacing, reverse spokes, aluminum spokes, and so on. All that shit can burn in hell. There is no good reason for it. A good 3x will be a better wheel every damn time.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've got a Topeak one with their version of a zero-loss fitting that has been pretty good. They're not rebuildable AFAIK though, and they're not unkillable if you lend it to dopey fuckers that leave it connected and give their shock a bounce test....

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Yeah, I'm not against machine built wheels. Modern machines stress relieve and can do very well. I'm just against the dip-shit stuff like 8-spoke shimano wheels, the paired dumbass spoke crack-brothers cobalt wheels, radial lacing, reverse spokes, aluminum spokes, and so on. All that shit can burn in hell. There is no good reason for it. A good 3x will be a better wheel every damn time.

3x ?? who uses that? My stuff is 2x and it lives up too my riding style with my wagon wheels.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
All the shock pumps I own blow and none of them sucks. :rimshot: :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What does everyone think that zero-loss fittings are doing when there's a spring-loaded valve on the shock/fork?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What does everyone think that zero-loss fittings are doing when there's a spring-loaded valve on the shock/fork?
3x ?? who uses that? My stuff is 2x and it lives up too my riding style with my wagon wheels.
People who want stiff strong wheels?

Ripped from mtbr:

The technical paper on the Nox site has these relevant figures. You gain a little lateral stiffness and lose a lot of tangential (torsional or braking) stiffness.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not super essential, but it means you can check the pressure that was in the shock more accurately by pressurizing the hose a bit before you open the shock valve. It lets you check if a shock is slowly losing air pressure, otherwise everytime you connect a pump you lose a percentage of the reservoir pressure just pressuring back to the gauge. Normal shock pumps work fine for inflation purposes, but I've had air shocks and forks where a few psi made a noticeable difference so it can be handy to be able to check that loss consistently.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What ever you do, do not get the Shimano/Pro one.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Not super essential, but it means you can check the pressure that was in the shock more accurately by pressurizing the hose a bit before you open the shock valve. It lets you check if a shock is slowly losing air pressure, otherwise everytime you connect a pump you lose a percentage of the reservoir pressure just pressuring back to the gauge. Normal shock pumps work fine for inflation purposes, but I've had air shocks and forks where a few psi made a noticeable difference so it can be handy to be able to check that loss consistently.
With the one that came with my 2006 36 one can carefully attach the hose but just screw it on so much that the shock or fork Schrader valve core stays closed. Then prepressurize the pump to the estimated pressure and fully attach the hose. Air losses are minimal that way. Works only for personal gear of course, where you have a slight idea about the pressure numbers.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Count me in! When shall I start throwing money on your direction?
We've never gotten less than 1000 pieces printed and you need a certain quantity to spread the tooling cost across a large enough number. I also have no way to get them to monkeys as my company is only set up to deal with wholesalers and distributors, so they would be quite expensive if i sent them out individually. It would be ideal if we could find a monkey on the other side of the pond who can do pad printing and is willing to distribute them.

Failing that, I think bikemag should just order a bunch for giveaways and also include a few printed with the logo of their very own forum. Or we could make "Fuck E-bikes" edition, I have a feeling that might expand the customer base quite a bit.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

People who want stiff strong wheels?

Ripped from mtbr:

Interesting , the 3 sources I deal with who make a living building and selling wheels around the world all use 2x.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Interesting , the 3 sources I deal with who make a living building and selling wheels around the world all use 2x.
Do they do a lot of road wheels? 3x gets weird for lower spoke counts, because the distance between spoke holes increases, and the spokes have to go so far over that they don't always sit well against the flange. I'd do 2x for anything 28 hole or less, but 3x for MTB wheels with proper spoke counts (32).