Quantcast

your HAYES brake will KILL YOU!!!

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
O.K. a little over the top but maybe this cought your attention. if you own a HFX-9 brake please inspect your rotor and pads, please reply if you notice heavy gauging on the rotor, also the center of the braking surface (at the vent holes) will feel concave. this has been happening in a short period of time so if you own this brake and is somewhat new, inspect them NOW. if you work at a shop and have seen this please reply with what you have seen.
thank you.

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
I work at a fairly large shop and we are seeing this on almost all hfx-9 brakes. espically ones that come on yeti 575's it is happening because the semi metallic pads are gauging the rotors. hayes has been fairly cool about this and has sent us replacements. we have been seeing the rotors go bad within a few weeks. this is serious as it will destroy your rotors/pads and eventually calipers or you could loose all braking performance durning a ride if it gose unchecked. anyways if you notice this call up hayes and they should help you out. or just go to your lbs.

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
well i dont think you will die during a ride because of this, is just that the rotor should not wear this fast, especialy when the pad is suppossed to be softer than in previous years. the sintered pad has been around ever since HAYES introduced their brake, and as far as i know it has not changed. a sintered pad is very metallic and works better under high heat/ high load application, they tend to not feel as powerful under light load or may feel really grabby at fiirst and then taper and then back up again, the resin or organic pad is suppossed to be a softer pad designed for XC ridding where the power is better needed at relative low speeds but this is not the case with the current run of resin pads from HAYES. the thing is that i have seen two rotors so far out of roughly 32 that were dangerously thin at the center of the braking surface, that is enough to really be concerned. if the rotor broke while riding it could be very bad.(for the rider)
any east coast or west coast people out there that have seen this "phenomenon"?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The fact that the wear pattern makes the rotor concave is not unusual at all. The time reportedly takes is though. There is less material though the vent holes so it's only logical that the rotor wears differentially. All Hayes I have used wore like that. But it usually took two or three sets of pads before the rotor was so dished it warranted replacement. about 2 years for me.

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
yes that is true. the concave wear pattern is a normal wear pattern, and with the old pads (sintered) that does take over a year to wear out the rotor. the wear i am talking about is very characteristic to the resin (organic) pads and only those pads and it happens in a very short time. TOO short!!
has no one else seen this???

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
*runs off to inspect bike*
*bike is nowhere to be found*

Oh wait... it's in the shop... CRAP !

I'll check it out as soon as I get it back. I'm running a 2003 HFX-9 brake in the rear... but the rotor is brand new though... so, it might not be worn yet... but I'll inspect my previous rotors...

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
funny you should mention this. I noticed my rotors wearing in this pattern only a week ago. Mind you - i didn't notice it until I had switched to EBC "Red" organic pads.

-B

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
so you guys are also seeing this type of wear in a very short period of time as well? i need to get the word out so we can get Hayes to change the pads or something. this is something that i am still seeing on all of my bikes that have the resin pad. (stock with HFX-9) please inspect your bikes and your buddies bikes and write back with what you are noticing. power in numbers!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
is taht why my hayes sucks sucks so bad? my rotor is gouged all to hell and the peice of crap has never functioned right anyway.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
So what will the rotor look like. I run hayes HFX 9's on the back of my dirtjump bike and i want to know what the rotors would look like if this event did happen to my brakes. Thanks alot