Quantcast

your heart just breaks for these victims

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Kent and Mysti Cope were well-paid executives at subprime lenders who never thought the industry could disappear overnight. Now they're just trying to get by.
The two didn't say exactly how much money they made at their last jobs but Kent admitted they each had six-figure incomes.

Today, they're trying to get by on his unemployment benefits of about $450 a week, which covers only about an eighth of the basic payments they owe every month.
call me silly, but if my household was pullin down a 1/4 MILLION / year, i'd put a few nickels aside. how the fcuk do you anchor yourself w/ $10k of debt per month?

let them snort cake.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Life can be a bitch.

I feel into the same situation when I was making bank back in 1999. It seemed like I would forever make truckloads of cash and I didn't manage to save much of anything. My debt was only about $5k a month, but $400 a week on unemployment is a bitch.

I managed to sell off everything and reduce my standard of living fairly quickly. Even though I make more money now, my standard of living has remained somewhat the same (only I save a lot more now).

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I was shopping for a house in Seattle, and every person I spoke with tried to get me into an investor mortgage. When I brought up that I wasn't interested in anything but a standard mortgage they did their damnedest to steer me away from it. Mostly so they could sell a house I couldn't normally afford. I walked away without a house after I gave up trying.

The industry made its bed and I have no pity for them lying in it now.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Heehehe...I was jsut reading that article thinking along the same lines.

Had to get rid of your gardener? Cry me a f*cking river.
Good luck selling bikinis you idiots.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and just in case you think anyone who chooses to go by "Mysti" is smarter than a stripper, i offer you this:
Mysti said she and many other employees who survived the early rounds of layoffs at New Century thought they'd be able to ride out the bad times even after the firm stopped taking new mortgage applications in March of last year and filed for bankruptcy in April.
every once in a while, a crappy company makes a good decision.
letting go people who have nothing to do - especially during a rebuilding period - is a no-brainer.

lo! the plight of upper class orange county white people

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
My parents live in San Clemente, perhaps not too far away from the douches featured in the article.

My parent's next door neighbor clearly purchased her house as an investment. I believe she lived in the house for the requisite two years before putting the house on the market circa 2006. At one point, she turned down an offer of $1.4mil on the house. The renters have moved out, the house remains empty, and she will be lucky to get $900k. Stupid b1tch.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
and just in case you think anyone who chooses to go by "Mysti" is smarter than a stripper, i offer you this
Ol' Kent's not lookin' too sharp there himself: Nothing spells business acumen like posing in your velour track suit for your CNN exposure.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
From a Vette to a Suburban. WTF?
it had better look like this:

and I can see that they haven't gotten any smarter about finances, they're still clinging to their "dream home" while cashing out on savings and emptying their 401ks... :disgust1:

edit: further rantings.

"You can't run into someone who isn't impacted by what's going on," said Kent. "It's very expensive to live in Orange County, and you pay a lot for your home and you can't get what it's worth now."
guess what? your home is currently "worth" what someone else will pay for it, just like it always was, no less and certainly no more. if you don't understand that much, you're not going to be that good at foreclosure real estate either... <shaking head>

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
it had better look like this:

and I can see that they haven't gotten any smarter about finances, they're still clinging to their "dream home" while cashing out on savings and emptying their 401ks... :disgust1:

edit: further rantings.

guess what? your home is currently "worth" what someone else will pay for it, just like it always was, no less and certainly no more. if you don't understand that much, you're not going to be that good at foreclosure real estate either... <shaking head>
Probably have an interest only loan and would have to pay to sell their house at a loss.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
precisely.

furthermore: googling "mysti cope" reveals the #1 hit being this article. nothing is a humiliating as having it done publicly.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i feel for these two morons more than i do for idiot home buyers who took out stupid-low APR ARM's and are now crying about being "victimized.."

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
A lot of people who made a lot of money in the mortgage industry weren't what you would call financially sophisticated...that's why the whole house of cards took so long to fall.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I can say honestly that I have not been directly affected by this crisis. I too shot down a real estate agent who tried to sell me on an ARM a year and a half ago.
If it sounds too good to be true, it prolly is...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
"Since he lost his job, Kent has gotten a real estate license and is trying to start a business selling the rapidly increasing inventory of foreclosed homes in Orange County, Calif"

So is he is turning lemons into lemonade, or trying to reap the rewards of his own scamming?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Too bad she didn't get an interest only boob job.

Eh, add her to the PPILF

Poor People I'd...

She should start contacting horny ex-govenors, they pay pretty well..

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I thought the same thing. You would think $3+ a gallon would steer them clear of that trade
Nothing said they were smart...article should have tipped you off on that!
I picture her twisting around a very large and sturdy pole at a low rent peeler bar soon, and him, well, reall estate foreclosures are perfect, or a used car guy.