Quantcast

Your most disappointing bike related purchase, what was it?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Ten years ago crank brothers candy pedals. cleats had barely any wear on them and there was so much float that I could barely put any power down and my shoes would pop out on moderate bumps. replaced them with low cost shimano SPD's - More weight but much better performance.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Burgtec Penthouse Mk3 pedals have to be up there for me.
Why would you not put a taper on the leading edge of something that is likely to hit rocks? They'd turn what would normally be a light glance in to a more scary experience.

The poor machining on the spindle and body stupid shape saw me snap the only spindle I have ever snapped, couldn't bring myself to buy a replacement because I hated them so much.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Haha. Is it that bad? I’ve been curious about what is in those every month. I feel like it’s mostly stickers and chain lube.
Its a rip off, Chinese versions of everything and mostly useless after a couple uses. Things like chain brush, bike wash, horrible lube. Then there are the gloves/shirts/jerseys, I doubt I have had any of their gear last more than 3 washings. Every multi tool I got was destroyed after a single use. Just a waste of money.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its a rip off, Chinese versions of everything and mostly useless after a couple uses. Things like chain brush, bike wash, horrible lube. Then there are the gloves/shirts/jerseys, I doubt I have had any of their gear last more than 3 washings. Every multi tool I got was destroyed after a single use. Just a waste of money.
That's why I buy it one off when its something worthwhile. There was one with a digital shock pump that was good, and another with some tifosi sunglasses that have been good as well.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Been doing this sport since '93 with various intensity and desciplines, but what really stuck in me for being bad were:
1. RS Reverb. True punishment that product.
2. dual Control shifter brake lever combo was also a night mare
3. Sun Ringle had a SingleTrck that was supposed to be tubeless via a rubber band running along the spokes on the inside. Never managed to make it work, at the end I truly wanted to burn them! :D Later I bought a mavic 823 UST rim, never looked back.

There are others worhty to mention such as Specialized Magnesium pedals, which lost their pins faster than my boy his baby teeth.
Original Grip Shift (before Sram) which never worked when wet, and especially when your hands got muddy or wet too.
Tioga tires with that block pattern, cant recall its name, but I rmemeber for not having luck with those.

It's night and day how much better the products perform these days, and it appears that if they suck it comes down to the lack of Quality contorl/assurance or if a given brand just incapable to manufacture propery (tolernaces and whatnot).

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I don't know how they are now, and I ain't aimin' to find out, but I had the misfortune for a bike to show up with Schwable Slippery Steves or whatever they were called, and I would fall down any time the trail turned. I thought I had an inner ear infection. Swapped them for some trusty Maxxis Minions and my inner ear problem went away.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
Send em here. I have a trusty set of XT's that you can have in exchange.
Nah, I still have a set of Saints. The Trickstuff were kind of a hand-me-down.The first owner didn‘t like them, nor did I.
German Engineering at it‘s finest. A solution looking for a problem.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Marzo AM SL1. Went through 4 of them then they got sick of me and sent me a 55. Went i got my second one of those I sold it for like $100 brand new and bought a 36

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I was so excited to have XTR trail brakes on my SB66C…. They looked so good, and worked so well… until they didn’t. I wasted months for the privilege of having “the best brakes around”.

My stupid Oneup stem was another good one. That preload system that required 2 Allen keys at the same time to properly load and lock was an ironic design flaw for those carrying only the EDC. I’m sure there was a way to do it, but the cheese grade tool and Micro threads in the stem were hardly “just crashed and need to straighten my bars trail side”-friendly. 1/10 would not bang. the chain tool is a waste of time as well (maybe they’ve fixed it since)
The oval cross section bar is neat, until you want to mount your light on the bar…

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
PAGING @Udi ... @Udi to the white courtesy phone please!!!
Note the guy says "Trickstuff brake" rather than naming the model, possibly bought used Piccola XC brakes :D
If it's the DRT / MXM then I'd definitely say user error, 5th year of ownership here with < 5 bleeds.
Bleed system is pretty standard (dual-syringe) and works great.