Quantcast

Your most influential book

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Might seem cheesy to some, but this was a great read.

I have met up with Tony in the early years and skated with many of the same groups when the Bones Brigade would come to town. If you read this, then watch "Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator (2002)@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU3MzE4MzU2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDM3NDAwMQ@@._V1._SX93_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTU3MzE4MzU2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDM3NDAwMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX93@@AMEPARAM@@SY140", it is an interesting look at skating in the late 80's and the progression from culture to sporting event.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My first skateboards had steel wheels - we'd swap them with roller skate wheels stolen from rentals at Skate City - that's hard core for a 12 year old in 1978. :)

jimmydean said:
it is an interesting look at skating in the late 80's and the progression from culture to sporting event.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I read "There are no Children Here" and "In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Bario" as a freshman in college and changed my major from Psychology to Urban anthropology to focus on systemic causes of poverty. I then read "Savage Inequallities" and shifted my interest from systemic influences on poverty, to specifically the school system and it's direct influence on poverty. I went on to get a master's in anthropology with a focus in urban medical issues and a speciliazation in community health. While my interests have shifted over time I still work in an urben setting within schools and child serving agencies focussing on systemic influences on health and health/quallity of life influences on poverty. I can trace it all back to those two books and one really great teacher.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Friedrich Nietzsche: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spoke Zarathustra) - I'm still trying to figure it all out, but it has had a rather profound effect on how I view the world. Too bad his sister was a Nazi (he despised both nationalism and conformism in the worst way, and basically told her to piss off before he collapsed).

Maurice Merleau-Ponty: The Visible and the Invisible - Not actually a completed work, but the ideas in there are rather profound. Again, big effect on how I see the world.

JRR Tolkein: The Hobbit - got me into reading. Dad read it to me when I was 4. Read it for myself at 5.

Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse 5 & Breakfast of Champions - I discovered that writing can be thoughtful, irreverent and fun all at the same time.

Last edited:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I saved up my nickels and dimes to buy Greg Hill's Professional BMX Skills book. My bmx racing career took off after that.