Quantcast

Your Starbucks coffee is gonna cost more...

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
SkaredShtles said:
:confused: Starbucks?? Their cappucino is like an Italian latte, only with even MORE milk than a latte. A proper cappucino is served as a shot of espresso topped with a nice layer of milk foam.

:confused: again........ Italy was where I first saw sugar dispensers that looked to be about 10 lbs of sugar, right next to the bar. With those cool automatic-closing tops. And everyone I observed took sugar in their espresso. <shrug>

-S.S.-
Yeah, I know but that's the only place that's even had someone do it right, although, that has been becoming more miss than hit these past couple of years :angry:

I must have missed the sugar dispensers b/c in Assissi and Aviano, the locals were all over us about sugar in our coffee. :) When did you go? I was there in '89 (wow, that sounds like a long time ago) Maybe we infiltrated their ways :devil: :) I can't wait to go back, though! :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
They just put a Starbucks in the town where I live. I don't understand why someone would go there and pay four bucks for a cup of coffee when you can go three blocks away and pay a buck and a half.

It's decent coffee, without a doubt, but it's not THAT good...
I saw a PBS special on them. The reason people like to go there is they provide a place to sit and relax... my local deli does too and you get to see lots of rednecks as well and the coffee is only $1. Atleast at my deli there is some entertainement. I'll NEVER EVER buy a cup of starbucks coffee.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I'm fortunate enough to have great coffee here at work. Each floor has a coffee machine with a big bean grinder right next to it, which is filled with fresh beans every night.

you use fresh grinds with every brew :thumb:

Some floors even have espresso machines! :)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
binary visions said:
I don't understand why someone would go there and pay four bucks for a cup of coffee when you can go three blocks away and pay a buck and a half.

there are many reasons i think. the main one being that starbucks has a drive through window. another reason its so popular is, starbucks is the coffee shop for people who dont like coffee. they like their choco latte frappe sprinkled caramelo milkshakes, and they like the idea of drinking it in a cofee shop. third, most people dont like to try different things, they like to go somewhere where they know exactly what they are getting. starbucks is as farmiliar as mc donalds, applbees and walgreens. the menu is exactly the same all over the country. its like a fast food place so you are "forced" to create a personal relationship with the 15 year old behind the counter because they will be working at the deli in the mall next week.

i think i jhad a little too much coffee this morning. my apologies.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
KPicha said:
<snip>I must have missed the sugar dispensers b/c in Assissi and Aviano, the locals were all over us about sugar in our coffee. :) When did you go? I was there in '89 (wow, that sounds like a long time ago) Maybe we infiltrated their ways :devil: :) I can't wait to go back, though! :D
We spent 4 months in Europe in the summer of '99, with more time spent in Italia than anyplace else. Then we went back to Italy in '00 for our honeymoon. :D Still can't wait to go back. Good wine. Good food. Good coffee. It's ALL good there........ well, except for the traffic. :eek:

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
laura said:
<snip> they like to go somewhere where they know exactly what they are getting. starbucks is as farmiliar as mc donalds, applbees and walgreens. the menu is exactly the same all over the country.
You hit it square on the head! It's really amusing how folks will settle for really quite mediocre food, as long as they're sure to be able to get that same mediocre crap *anywhere* in the country, consistently. :rolleyes:

Applebees is a classic example. Crap food - yet I see lines out the door quite frequently. <shrug>

-S.S.-

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
You all do realize that you can order plain black coffee at Starbucks, right? I pay $1.74 tax included for the BIG size. I don't normally buy it, but if I run out of what I brewed, I certainly don't want to drink gas station mud just to save a few quarters. You are not required to select a candied umbrella coffee w/two pound muffin and sit out front people-watching like a wannabe Parisian.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It makes sense to go there if you like their drinks that you can't get at most other places. I'm not a big fan of their various caramel, chocolate, and other flavored drinks.

There's a drive-thru Dunkin' Donuts for those who like their drive throughs, and this is a fairly small town so all the coffee shops are pretty good as "hang out" places - most of them have bookshelves and magazine racks and plugs for laptops. I'd just much rather to to the local Brewbakers and get a cup of coffee for half the price, and relax in a less commercial/sterile atmosphere.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
binary visions said:
There's a drive-thru Dunkin' Donuts for those who like their drive throughs
I miss D&D... :(

And if you want to be up late for a day or two, hit Miami (or some other heavily Cuban area) and get a Cuban coffee. I threw one of those back like it was an expresso... F'ing eye's almost came out of my head!

My wife and mother in law were laughing so hard they almost fell out of their chair... I didn't sleep until the next night!!!

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
My girlfriend is a personal trainer, one of her clients is a starbucks manager. he said it costs starbucks $ .05 to make a latte.........don't know if this is true but it is probably close.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
He (the Starbucks manager) has no idea what he's talking about. The smallest ones cost quite a bit more than that to make, even if you're only considering the cost of the raw ingredients.

It always seems funny to me that people will complain about the price of coffee in Starbucks or other coffee shops (which are usually more expensive around here), but won't say anything about paying $4 for a drink in a bar.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
llkoolkeg said:
You all do realize that you can order plain black coffee at Starbucks, right? I pay $1.74 tax included for the BIG size. I don't normally buy it, but if I run out of what I brewed, I certainly don't want to drink gas station mud just to save a few quarters. You are not required to select a candied umbrella coffee w/two pound muffin and sit out front people-watching like a wannabe Parisian.
Exactly

I drink that 1.74 cup every day.

My biggest reason for going to starbucks is consistency. If the coffee snobs want to call it consistency mediocre, so be it. It's my morning coffee, not yours.

Second biggest reason is that they have their $hit together when it comes to moving a line of people through there. Every time I stop by one of those mom and pop local joints and there is more than one person in there it takes FOREVER to get my crap and go.