Quantcast

Your take on NORBA?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
While beginners and amatures it makes sense to give them (us) schwag, the pro's should get considerably more. I mean the only difference between me and Steve Peat (on the podium) is a damn sweatshirt ....How does that work?

I'm not at all savvy with NORBA like many here, but from someones immediate observations, it seems like they need to change their approach, or there going to dwindle into non-existence.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Snowshoe and Diablo are my races of choice, sugar and maybe mt snow and if i qualify again ill try to make it to mammoth.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
biker3 said:
Totally agree, I'll see you at the Nationals. Everyone loves to complain about Norba but no one actually has a plan for big level racing in the US. It sucks until its gone, then what?
Yea, NORBA could be better, I dislike the amount of riding time at Nationals and prizes suck, but it will still be racing and hanging out with friends. Two of life's pleasures. :love:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
ViciousDHer said:
Yea, NORBA could be better, I dislike the amount of riding time at Nationals and prizes suck, but it will still be racing and hanging out with friends. Two of life's pleasures. :love:

A very valid point.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
So on Sunday I entered a local urban dual slalom race. I had to pay 10 euros to enter, as did everyone else. The event started at 10am, and was over by 2pm. There were over 60 competitors, and my friend who won got a check for 150euros. The top fifteen riders all got paid. Every competitor got a free backpack, a shirt, 2 hats, and some more random goodies. All for 10euros, no license of any sort required. Only two classes, male and female. How is this possible in Spain, the seventh richest country in the world, but not for the ole USA?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
because we can not race without liability being covered by liscense and/or insurance ($$$$$$). Its lame, but if some one got hurt they will sue someone else and all will loose. :(

We are trying really hard to put on a few grassroots races without NORBA oversight and insurance.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
profro said:
because we can not race without liability being covered by liscense and/or insurance ($$$$$$). Its lame, but if some one got hurt they will sue someone else and all will loose. :(

We are trying really hard to put on a few grassroots races without NORBA oversight and insurance.

I can't wait to get to law school! :thumb:

:p

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
sirknight6 said:
While beginners and amatures it makes sense to give them (us) schwag, the pro's should get considerably more. I mean the only difference between me and Steve Peat (on the podium) is a damn sweatshirt ....How does that work?

I'm not at all savvy with NORBA like many here, but from someones immediate observations, it seems like they need to change their approach, or there going to dwindle into non-existence.
The difference between pro's and am's isnt a sweatshirt or a medal. It's compensation by their team/primary sponsor. If you dont have that deal you are really privateer racing against the factory