Quantcast

Your worst injury

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Two come to mind--

...proceeds to tell my wife that "this is what happens to guys in their 40's trying to re-live their 20's". Thanks, doc, however, alcohol was not involved at the time.
I got a similiar comment a couple weeks ago at the ER after endo-ing and landing on my head and jacking up my neck and shoulder. Of course the doc a fat bastard with a pack of smokes in his shir pocket. He was probably 30 lbs heavier then me, and 10 years younger.

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
I broke my neck (C5 and C7) at Mammoth a few years ago. I was deemed a quadriplegic by the surgeon but somehow managed to learn how to walk again! Just got a used RFX frame to build up as a trail bike, back on the bike again soon!

Everybody doing lift assisted runs should try and get a neck brace... take it from me, intravenous morphine is the only upside to breaking your neck.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I got a similiar comment a couple weeks ago at the ER after endo-ing and landing on my head and jacking up my neck and shoulder. Of course the doc a fat bastard with a pack of smokes in his shir pocket. He was probably 30 lbs heavier then me, and 10 years younger.
Cool thing about the doc is that he knew the part in Shrek 1 where donkey said "you gotta warn someone when you crack one off like that". Oh, and as they wheeled me off for surgery, Alaina tells them to wait while she gives my ankle a kiss for good luck. Oh, the look I gave the doc when I said, "you better not let her down".......

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I broke my neck (C5 and C7) at Mammoth a few years ago. I was deemed a quadriplegic by the surgeon but somehow managed to learn how to walk again! Just got a used RFX frame to build up as a trail bike, back on the bike again soon!

Everybody doing lift assisted runs should try and get a neck brace... take it from me, intravenous morphine is the only upside to breaking your neck.
awesome! i got no drugs for my c3/4 but i didn't feel i ever needed them. it was 9 months ago, but i hope to be on a bike again this summer, though no more lift runs for me.

a big :thumb: to another "quad" walking again :weee:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My worst injury happened during a checking drill in hockey practice. The amusing/embarrassing part is that neither of us involved were taking part in the drill at the time. We had both just completed the drill and were skating back to the line. We both had our heads down and ran right into each other. I split my chin open and had to get a few stitches. He had a mild concussion. Then we both got to skate extra sprints at the next practice for being dumb.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Went OTB once, managed to unclip from the pedals and land on my feet... problem was my right foot landed on the slope just off the trail. Twisted it pretty badly. That was definitely worse than the boo-boo on my lip.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Went OTB once, managed to unclip from the pedals and land on my feet... problem was my right foot landed on the slope just off the trail. Twisted it pretty badly. That was definitely worse than the boo-boo on my lip.
Wow that's by far the worst one yet.

How long did it take you to get back on the bike?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah it sucks big time going through the recovery process but at least we know we're hard to kill :D
a bud just asked me a question that i had already my therapists:
what will i do now that i know i'm indestructible? :D

srsly, what are the odds that we will break our necks a second time? statistically, that must nearly imposible ;)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

but srsly, have you, or anyone else here considered a full face just so you can run a Leatt on XC/trail rides? i'm thinking it could be worth it, or it might be running a moto helmet in a slow speed bike crash where the intended design was for a bigger impact and "slower" impacts result in more injury.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
november 09 i went otb at the BMX track. landed to flat and snapped my femur in half and broke my collarbone. now i got a fancy titanium rod running the length of my femur. ive been back on the bike for almost a year now. im back at like 90% fitness of what i used to be but unfortunately ive only ridden my DH bike like 4 times.

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
I'm not doing any lift assisted stuff for the foreseeable future. That being said I was thinking about eventually getting a Leatt or some-such brace for all/most riding. Before I had my crash I would always ride with a full-face anyway, and I'm thinking that for hike up and bomb down types of trails brace + full face is probably the way to go. You can always hang it on your camelback on the way up or something after all.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Mine was at tehachapi two summers ago.......... exploded on the finish line going OTB..... four broken ribs, cracked sternum, torn meniscus, severe bone brusing on the top of tibia, sever bone brusing on bottom of femur, unseen damage to three ligiments<now seen> been two years yet I am still dealing with the knee damage. At this point it looks like I might be getting three lig's and a synthetic meniscus.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Comminuted fracture of the fibula and distal fracture of the tibia coupled with a 90 degree dislocation of my foot. I think the reduction hurt more than the actual break. A plate and 9 or so screws and I'm more or less back to normal.

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Comminuted fracture of the tibia and distal fracture of the fibula coupled with a 90 degree dislocation of my foot. I think the reduction hurt more than the actual break. A plate and 9 or so screws and I'm more or less back to normal.

Cool. Your X ray looks like my X-ray...

Summer '04 / Snow Summit

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My worst injury happened during a checking drill in hockey practice. The amusing/embarrassing part is that neither of us involved were taking part in the drill at the time. We had both just completed the drill and were skating back to the line. We both had our heads down and ran right into each other. I split my chin open and had to get a few stitches. He had a mild concussion. Then we both got to skate extra sprints at the next practice for being dumb.
Had over 70 (Really fine catgut...) stitches in the face, head and hands from hockey. Got my lower jaw split open by a Super Bowl MVP after I skated by him in a shinny session. (Tried to lift my stick and missed...). Broke my ankle after stepping on my sons goalie stick while throwing a spin-o-rama playing road hockey. Landed on the top of the stick, he held on to it and my ankle rolled and snapped...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Blew up my knee....torn ACL/MLC/LCL/meniscus. That entire experience pretty much sucked.
I did that too, but was spared any meniscus damage. Sucked indeed.

I've also snapped the head off my humerus and needed to get pinned back together. I was only about 7 or 8 when that happened.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I think my broken and dislocated ankle was the most gnarly to see. Nothing like seeing the bottom of your foot touch the inside of your other leg with you leg straight.