Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Working in bike shops in NYC, New Orleans, and the 'burbs never prepared me for dealing with tweakers.

I can deal with a-holes, snobs, and drunks; but tweakers ask me idiotic questions to the point of total irrelevancy and expect hand-n-foot service.

Like the guy who pointed to our rack of new bikes and asked "Is this a good bike?" Or the father who mad that after I told his son to stop playing with a new Mavic rim I said "You would pay for it he breaks it?"

P.S. I know many of the monkeys know absolutely nothing about working retail. Free free to fire away with your thoughts.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ahhh......the Local Bike Shop, the only place on earth with more snobbery and attitude than the local record store.
Does the record store employee go from installing Armadillo tires on a dirty POS, adjusting the low limit screw on a $300 derailleur, then answer a stupid question about what's the difference between 26 and 27 inch wheels?

I have...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Does the record store employee go from installing Armadillo tires on a dirty POS, adjusting the low limit screw on a $300 derailleur, then answer a stupid question about what's the difference between 26 and 27 inch wheels?

I have...
I know, I get all pissy when I have to do my job at work too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
P.S. I know many of the monkeys know absolutely nothing about working retail.
usually cube jockeys bitching about someone drinking the last cup of coffee and not making a fresh pot....how great they are at their job and everyone else there is a slack jawed obese cousin fvcker...

Bigdroptoflat

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Maryland
My experience with this situation is that it's pretty easy to tell who has no clue what they're doing when they come to buy a bike and who's done their homework.

I simply greet people with a "hey how's it going today" out of common courtesy and then they normally ask any questions if they want to. Beleive it or not, some people expect to be approached and sold on a bike or product and get pissed when you don't.

My pet peeve: Customers who are close talkers.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
All those patch repairs in the concrete floor of the basement are going to get noticed someday. When they do... I'm just going to take the best bike I can and ride off into the sunset.....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So... was it the just looking that bothered you or the sudden realization that this might be as good as it's ever going to get for you?
He had his mechanical pencil with the lead out nearly an inch incase they attacked. But they barely noticed and kept browsing for online deals on thier Iphones anyways...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You shouldn't feel bad for bike shop employees who have to do their job. Incidentally, we don't care about your traumatic drive to work on the way to the cube farm where you diligently work off your student loans and car payments while being unproductive on the internet. Boohoo. Stop making retarded threads about it.

9 out of 10 of bike shop customers will thankfully accept help when you offer; assuming you look presentable, are inviting and sincere, and confident. If you're a low-brow mechanic with a defensive stance and lack of eye contact, you'll get the same response that you project - uninterested. Anyone who works in a legit shop that makes money knows these in's and out's.

The 1 out of 10 that's "all set", you apologize to and invite them to take their time. They usually buy something small, and make small talk at the register. For the 1 out of 20 thats too good to be there, like many of you in this thread; dont worry, it's not just those LBS punters you look down on that think you're a complete wanker, its everyone else. Newsflash, an overwhelming majority of us really do have our finger on the pulse, shred harder than you (and more frequently), and genuinely want to earn your business. Walking into a small specialty business expecting to be left alone is nothing like going to a supermarket. A fake smile and "no thanks" would be fine, then you can return to living inside your head where you're more pompous than the people trying to help you.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
LOOK AT THE SIZE of that PENIS!!

You shouldn't feel bad for bike shop employees who have to do their job. Incidentally, we don't care about your traumatic drive to work on the way to the cube farm where you diligently work off your student loans and car payments while being unproductive on the internet. Boohoo. Stop making retarded threads about it.

9 out of 10 of bike shop customers will thankfully accept help when you offer; assuming you look presentable, are inviting and sincere, and confident. If you're a low-brow mechanic with a defensive stance and lack of eye contact, you'll get the same response that you project - uninterested. Anyone who works in a legit shop that makes money knows these in's and out's.

The 1 out of 10 that's "all set", you apologize to and invite them to take their time. They usually buy something small, and make small talk at the register. For the 1 out of 20 thats too good to be there, like many of you in this thread; dont worry, it's not just those LBS punters you look down on that think you're a complete wanker, its everyone else. Newsflash, an overwhelming majority of us really do have our finger on the pulse, shred harder than you (and more frequently), and genuinely want to earn your business. Walking into a small specialty business expecting to be left alone is nothing like going to a supermarket. A fake smile and "no thanks" would be fine, then you can return to living inside your head where you're more pompous than the people trying to help you.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
LOOK AT THE SIZE of that PENIS!!
:stupid:

For the record, I haven't purchased a bike part from teh interwebz since may of 2007 when I bought my first Niner frame from a shop in Lyons. Since then every purchase I have made has been from a wonderful local bike shop that takes the time to address not only my question and concerns but every person who comes in the door. Do I pay more when I shop from them? Yes, they know it, and I know it, but the customer service and help is worth it, plus they are huge sponsors of local races and advocacy groups. This town is full of LBS's but I only shop at one in large part because all of the others display the kind of attitude discussed in here previously. Sure, everyone has bad days and your occasionally going to get a customer thats over the top stupid, but its retail, if you don't like people, maybe you shouldn't work in a bike shop.

Last edited:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I think perhaps that some of us may have taken something that was kind of intended to be somewhat comical and light hearted and taken it personally. Sorry you guys find people less than helpful. The point of my original post was to show that you can't really help people that don't want to be helped. If I walk into a retail store, I expect that someone may want to help me. If I just wan to kill time, I typically do it on my bike or on the Interwebs.

For the record...I like most people. I really like most people that like bikes. We have common interests. I don't really even mind the know it alls.

I also felt bad that I couldn't help, or allow Wumpus to help, the guy that bought a used fork for his CX bike. The steerer tube had been compromised by over tightening a stem. If I see something broken, or likely to break, I can't work on it, due to liability. Sadly, that guy probably thinks I just didn't want to help him. Partially because I wouldn't install the stem on it, but also partially because I didn't spend a bunch of time discussing it. It was an example of me having something else I was tending to, but also because I wouldn't assume responsibility. Talking about it wouldn't have fixed it, so I went on about my day. I explained the risks and allowed him to buy the compression plug for his fork. Once I stressed the dangers of a compromised fork, I had to step away.

That's just an example of why people might not like the LBS. I personally would be happy for someone to tell me my bike was dangerous, but some people think you are just trying to upsell. I only upsell bottle cages. Bontrager Race Lite nylon cages are awesome, if you didn't know.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Understood,and all that but you're still whining.

If I want to look and don't require assistance, please feel free to find something else to do and don't get pissy about it.
It's guys like you that look like they'll steal and I have to watch them. ;)

Small shops are frustrating though, with small staffs, it's hard to work where you're needed and still maintain a presence. That is no fault of a customer's though. Sadly...tomorrow I need to move all of our glove inventory, because I have found multiple header cards in various places.

btw - you'd have the roam of the store, old man. I like curmudgeons.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
James Cash Penney - The Golden Rule :)

Courteous treatment will make a customer a walking advertisement.

Every man must decide for himself whether he shall master his world or be mastered by it.

I was long brought up to think that it was nothing short of a crime to miss a sale.

It is the service we are not obliged to give that people value most.

Salesmanship, too, is an art; the perfection of its technique requires study and practice.

Success will always be measured by the extent to which we serve the buying public.

The best of merchandise will go back to the shelf unless handled by a conscientious, tactful salesman.

The well-satisfied customer will bring the repeat sale that counts.

and so on. :)

Last edited:

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
relax. at least they aren't asking a ****storm of stupid questions without caring what the answers are, or being difficult in general. that's the worst.