Quantcast

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You're keeping me from my job. So...people come in constantly and touch everything in the store. I immediately engage them with a friendly opener, only to get "I'm just looking around". It's one thing when it's a brush off so you can be left alone to really look around, but most times it's just people killing time. WTF brings people in to just "look around" in a bike shop if they really have no interest in bikes. Do they do the same thing at the music store or the fabric store??? Sheesh.

I can't post on Ridemonkey or screw around if people keep me engaged for nothing. :rant:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I do this. I have 2 really nice bikes but some times it's cool to just go look at new stuff, especially at a high-end shop.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Gosh, imagine, taking a position in customer service and having to deal with, you know, the general public.

The nerve of some people, walking into public stores.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I do that at fast food joints. I like to just go look at the fat people, then leave feeling better about myself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should only allow customers in the store who have made a pre-paid purchase through some kind of on-line store.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I went into this bike shop and the freaking salesperson kept asking "Are you SURE I cant help you?" and following me around and moving anything I touched so it was in the EXACT same spot as before.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
It's called "I want to look for a bike for myself, but I don't want a pushy salesman trying to tell me what I need or don't need." I HATE going into a store to look for or at something and having some obnoxious salesman at the door trying to get me to buy whatever it is his manager told him that he had to sell that day. Yes, I see you. Yes, I know that you work here since you're wearing the same dorky shirt as everyone else. If I have a question, I'll ask you. If I want to take something on a test ride, I'll request it. If I want you to explain in depth the heat dissipation qualities of DOT4 vs Mineral fluid in hydraulic disc brakes, I know who to ask. But for god's sake, LEAVE ME THE F ALONE!

Can you imagine if it went that way in other stores?

Hi, welcome to the supermarket, what can I help you with?
Well, I was just in to pick up some bread, milk and eggs...
Oh, let me suggest this new 24 grain whole wheat bread, it's only $7/loaf and we just got it in.
No thanks, I just want my usual bread.
How about this 22 grain whole wheat bread, it's also $7/loaf and it's slightly less grainy.
I'm not paying $7/loaf.
Ok, how about this 15 grain whole wheat bread, it's only $5.99/loaf, but it's definitely not as healthy.
I'M NOT PAYING $6/LOAF EITHER! Just let me go buy my freakin' bread!
.....I understand, what kind of bread would you like me to go get for you.
Wonderbread white bread. It's for my kids.
You know, that's not as healthy as this other multigrain br....
JUST GET ME MY F'ING BREAD!!

2 hours later on a message board:

"God, I can't believe this shopper wasted 15min of my time and only bought a $0.99 loaf of bread. What a cheapskate. He wandered around, asking all these questions, didn't bother to listen to my answers, and then left after buying the cheapest loaf of bread he could. He even claimed that he wanted milk and eggs, but left without buying those either. Our shop could definitely do without *those* types of customers..."

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It's called "I want to look for a bike for myself, but I don't want a pushy salesman trying to tell me what I need or don't need." I HATE going into a store to look for or at something and having some obnoxious salesman at the door trying to get me to buy whatever it is his manager told him that he had to sell that day. Yes, I see you. Yes, I know that you work here since you're wearing the same dorky shirt as everyone else. If I have a question, I'll ask you. If I want to take something on a test ride, I'll request it. If I want you to explain in depth the heat dissipation qualities of DOT4 vs Mineral fluid in hydraulic disc brakes, I know who to ask. But for god's sake, LEAVE ME THE F ALONE!

Can you imagine if it went that way in other stores?

Hi, welcome to the supermarket, what can I help you with?
Well, I was just in to pick up some bread, milk and eggs...
Oh, let me suggest this new 24 grain whole wheat bread, it's only $7/loaf and we just got it in.
No thanks, I just want my usual bread.
How about this 22 grain whole wheat bread, it's also $7/loaf and it's slightly less grainy.
I'm not paying $7/loaf.
Ok, how about this 15 grain whole wheat bread, it's only $5.99/loaf, but it's definitely not as healthy.
I'M NOT PAYING $6/LOAF EITHER! Just let me go buy my freakin' bread!
.....I understand, what kind of bread would you like me to go get for you.
Wonderbread white bread. It's for my kids.
You know, that's not as healthy as this other multigrain br....
JUST GET ME MY F'ING BREAD!!

2 hours later on a message board:

"God, I can't believe this shopper wasted 15min of my time and only bought a $0.99 loaf of bread. What a cheapskate. He wandered around, asking all these questions, didn't bother to listen to my answers, and then left after buying the cheapest loaf of bread he could. He even claimed that he wanted milk and eggs, but left without buying those either. Our shop could definitely do without *those* types of customers..."
What kind of pita bread do you have in your shop?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Just standing there absorbing the whole feeling of being surrounded by thousands and thousands of dollars worth of top end bikes & parts.

I'm not going to buy anything. I have the internet for that.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yesterday I had a Dave Chappelle character wander in and try to sell me on his church website/ jewelry fashion scam. I used jedi mind tricks to make him leave and was never once rude to him.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
I know the type, I work at a rental shop people come In and talk to you about renting a bike for a like half a hour then don't end up renting one. If there looking at bikes it's a little diffrent if they say there just looking let them be, just make sure to tell them if they need anything just to ask. Other the that just chill you work at a bike shop it's a layed back job. :thumb:

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
This thread is full of win.

Them "just looking around" means a lot of things:
1. They know what they want, and don't need your help.
2. They don't need anything specific, but possibly want to spend some money at your store, and don't need your help.
3. They like bikes and bike parts and need to kill some time, and don't need your help.
4. They want to fantasize about new parts or bikes, and don't need your help.
5. You can do other things that need to be done around the store.
6. You can help other customers that DO need your help.
7. Later, when it is slow and you have done #5, you can straighten up anything they touched or moved.

Of course, it also could mean that they want to steal stuff. But that's where your judgment comes in.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Whenever a customer responds to my greeting with "I'm just looking", I retort with: "well what are you looking for?"

Slips people up most of time.
I use that frequently. This guy turns out to want a mtn bike, but doesn't really want a mtn bike. I think the fact that I hate people should make me find a different career path. I have started to treat everyone like they are MMike, and no one really deserves that. I made signs that say "Leave me alone" and hung them all over the store. I hope they work.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
This thread is full of win.

Them "just looking around" means a lot of things:
1. They know what they want, and don't need your help.
2. They don't need anything specific, but possibly want to spend some money at your store, and don't need your help.
3. They like bikes and bike parts and need to kill some time, and don't need your help.
4. They want to fantasize about new parts or bikes, and don't need your help.
5. You can do other things that need to be done around the store.
6. You can help other customers that DO need your help.
7. Later, when it is slow and you have done #5, you can straighten up anything they touched or moved.

Of course, it also could mean that they want to steal stuff. But that's where your judgment comes in.
Chances are I probably know more about the product I am looking for then the person trying to sell it to me. I just dont want to be annoyed while I consider which model I want or price range etc. I may also want to take some time to contimplate how it may look or perform on my bike on me or whatever. If I have a question or need help I will find you

I am in sales myself and get commission on my sales, but learned if you bother the customer chances are they will leave and spend the cash where they feel comfortable shopping. Sales keep my employer in business, comission is an added bonus for me. I would Rather let anyone in the shop make the sale if need be then scare somone off and have the shop get nothing.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Chances are I probably know more about the product I am looking for then the person trying to sell it to me. I just dont want to be annoyed while I consider which model I want or price range etc. I may also want to take some time to contimplate how it may look or perform on my bike on me or whatever. If I have a question or need help I will find you

I am in sales myself and get commission on my sales, but learned if you bother the customer chances are they will leave and spend the cash where they feel comfortable shopping. Sales keep my employer in business, comission is an added bonus for me. I would Rather let anyone in the shop make the sale if need be then scare somone off and have the shop get nothing.
You can not know more than me. Have you not heard who I am??? :D

Chances are, I can't trust you to leave you alone with my stuff. ;)

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Gosh, imagine, taking a position in customer service and having to deal with, you know, the general public.

The nerve of some people, walking into public stores.

Yeah the nerve of those people. I worked in a slightly different culture...looking around browsing is not allowed.

"Buy something or get the fick out turkey brains, times money. What is that Hamburgers? 60 psi 60 psi is good for off-road, He ain't gonna buy anything, give him the bums rush we got real work to do."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
"Buy something or get the fick out turkey brains, times money. What is that Hamburgers? 60 psi 60 psi is good for off-road, He ain't gonna buy anything, give him the bums rush we got real work to do."
:rofl:

You could almost watch Bruce's blood pressure rise every minute you were in the store and not spending money.

He mellowed the f**k out, though. Was in there at Christmas and he was as calm, relaxed and pleasant as I've ever seen him. Is he taking drugs?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
fify.

I would wear just shop apron and crocks.
:rofl:

My old shop was only open afternoons and evenings, mostly so the staff could ride mornings. We had our priorities right. Anyway, one time I was in doing some work well before the shop was set to open (like noonish, opening at 5pm that day). It was about 95 and humid out, and the shop was out in the sticks, set back from the road a bunch so you couldn't see the shop at all until you got a ways in on the driveway. There's a pond out front, and I decided to take a quick splash in to cool off. Nobody's around, so I see no reason I needed to be wearing pants for this. Just as I'm getting out, the UPS guy comes down the driveway. :rofl: I decided my best course of action was to dive back in and wait it out, but I'm pretty sure he saw more than he needed to.