Quantcast

You've got $1500 to buy a DH bike. What do you get?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wait a second... You were riding the world DH championship PODIUM performing yeti SB66, and you're looking for a new DH bike?

Why? Spend the extra dough on adding a "C" to it.

Or maybe a 180mm fork?
Because I'm not Graves. Also, I'd prefer to not make my SB any more dh than it already is. I'm spending ~1hr every time I want to swap to dh mode. I'd prefer to have grab and go abilities.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
LOLLLLLLL yeah because THAT'S what matters.

All of those were pretty fragile bikes too. M3's break left and right, none of them are straight. Plus they're tiny. Round tube DHR's were also weak as hell (snapped swingarms and will break shock/linkage bolts if you look at it wrong). V10's clap out just from sitting still. Older demo's are relatively strong, but just odd.

Flatlines are surprisingly solid bikes. Not super racey, but simple, non-gimmicky, good geo, and cheap enough for a recent bike (it seems).
Please :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...thousands of all those bikes were sold and ridden...and are still ridden. I forgot all of those frames I mentioned spontaneously cracked and disintegrated when people bought them. There have already been plenty of bikes posted in here that meet his needs. His biggest problem will be finding a large enough frame. Tell him he needs to up his budget to five grand to find something rideable.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Id wait and save a few more bucks.

Sounds like you could use some time off the big bike anyway. And it's about to snow. Newer bikes will just be that much older next year.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Id wait and save a few more bucks.

Sounds like you could use some time off the big bike anyway. And it's about to snow. Newer bikes will just be that much older next year.
Unfortunately, that is my budget and it's not going to change with time.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd look into something durable with a 1.5 headtube so with offset cups you can have modern geo.

I remember driver 8's being very cheap because they had idiotic geometry but with -2 cups and maybe offset bushings that may be fixed and you may end up with a cheap, relatively new bike. They often go for 1700-1900$ but maybe you can haggle a bit.

From older bikes that are quite durable I'd think about a Morewood Izimu, an older glory with offset cups or trying to find a sunday in decent condition. Transition blindside ca 2009-2010 may be an option too.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Please :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...thousands of all those bikes were sold and ridden...and are still ridden. I forgot all of those frames I mentioned spontaneously cracked and disintegrated when people bought them. There have already been plenty of bikes posted in here that meet his needs. His biggest problem will be finding a large enough frame. Tell him he needs to up his budget to five grand to find something rideable.
I'm 6' and 180-190# and had major problems with two of the four that you listed that I owned personally. If he's 6'4" and weighs....well, more than that, he'll be able to break them even easier. Don't think that's what he wants to sign up for.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
6'1", 225 and I would have no issues buying a used V10. You're missing the point that there are plenty of perfectly fine DH bikes available. He's a little more limited by his height than his weight. $1500 ain't buying a nice dirtbike, unless you are partial to clapped out two strokes.

FWIW Stoney, your 3" taller than me, but I would ride the large Izimu that my bro picked up. Seems roomy enough to me. I should be getting some actual saddle time on it this weekend.

May also want to check into Turner Highlines or a Sinister R9.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
6'1", 225 and I would have no issues buying a used V10. You're missing the point that there are plenty of perfectly fine DH bikes available. He's a little more limited by his height than his weight. $1500 ain't buying a nice dirtbike, unless you are partial to clapped out two strokes.

FWIW Stoney, your 3" taller than me, but I would ride the large Izimu that my bro picked up. Seems roomy enough to me. I should be getting some actual saddle time on it this weekend.

I like long bikes. Like, Yeti long. Pushing 25" TT long. I also want a true DH bike, not a FR bike that I can drop a triple onto. Long and low.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Picky and your budget may not go together as well :). Not that you can't find something, but options will be limited...especially for something that long.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
If a person wants to let go of a bike quick or needs cash, things will happen. If hes just posting to test the waters, then hes not gonna haggle that much. Its a mix of diligence, sales talk and luck.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
$1500 ain't buying a nice dirtbike, unless you are partial to clapped out two strokes.

$1500 would get you a really clean '04-'06 YZ450F with a (relatively) durable motor. Miles of smiles.

My old Sinister R9 frame is still in my parts collection. Pretty sure I'll never get rid of that one.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
what's with all the "get a moto" suggestions? since when is DH and motocross interchangeable?
(although we do have a killer track in the neighborhood!)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Those Operators are clean. I didn't even think about Kona.
Comparably roomy in the larger sizes, also.

If I remember right, a large izimu was like a medium compared to most when I was looking for a large myself.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yes, they only make two sizes in the previous years, not sure about currently. That's the bigger of the two.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So, page one was about dirt bikes and Morewood....................thread is progressing well.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Stoney: Trestle Pro shop sells off the demo fleet each season, if they have an XL demo or Status or something that might be an option. VeloSwap is coming up as well, might be able to find something there. As for me reaching out to friends, etc. so far I've turned up squat. Offers of a $5500 brand new and completely pimped to the tits V-10c in an XL, but nothing else.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What is it with Canadians and refusing to ship internationally? I feel like Fry. "Take my money!"