Quantcast

You've got $1500 to buy a DH bike. What do you get?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Factory Sepc:
http://www.pinkbike.com/product/rocky-mountain/2010-Flatline-Pro/
Specifications
Release Date 2010
Price $3999
Travel 200mm
Rear Shock RockShox Vivid 4.1
Fork RockShox Boxxer Race
Headset FSA Orbit Z1.5/1 1/8
Cassette SRAM Pg-950-9 11-28T
Crankarms Race Face Respond 170-175mm
Chainguide E13 LS1
Bottom Bracket Race Face Respond X-Type
Pedals RMB Low Pro Flat
Chain SRAM PC951
Rear Derailleur SRAM x9
Shifter Pods SRAM x9
Handlebar Easton Vice Low Rise
Stem e13 Ali Integrated 45-55mm
Grips RMB Lock On Knurled
Brakes Avid Elixir 5
Hubs Wheeltech Disc hubs
Spokes DT Swiss Champion
Rim Alex FR32 Disc
Tires Maxxis Minion DHF / DHR rear
Seat SDG I Fly I Beam
Seatpost SDG I Beam Micro 30.9

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
What is it with Canadians and refusing to ship internationally? I feel like Fry. "Take my money!"
Well, the ad DOES say local pickup only. Americans and their reading comprehension...jeeez.

Perhaps if you throw in a few bucks for his time to deal with the PITA of packing it up and shipping it to you, he'd be more receptive. It's a pretty good deal. If he can get that money from a local, why put himself through the pain of shipping it to you?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Because I would pay for that isht.

Well, the ad DOES say local pickup only. Americans and their reading comprehension...jeeez.

Perhaps if you throw in a few bucks for his time to deal with the PITA of packing it up and shipping it to you, he'd be more receptive. It's a pretty good deal. If he can get that money from a local, why put himself through the pain of shipping it to you?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
You can thank me later. And yes, it's a Large, within the budget, and there's also this: "This bike rides like butter going downhill. It weighs in at 44lbs, which is standard for a DH of this era. Everything is adjustable on the suspension, shock compression, chain-stay length, ride height. This bike has the same technical abilities as the M9 with just a few extra pounds, but at 1/4 the price!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Intense-M1-Downhill-MTB-Recent-re-build-Size-Large-/111107356477?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item19de83b73d#ht_903wt_1328

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You can thank me later. And yes, it's a Large, within the budget, and there's also this: "This bike rides like butter going downhill. It weighs in at 44lbs, which is standard for a DH of this era. Everything is adjustable on the suspension, shock compression, chain-stay length, ride height. This bike has the same technical abilities as the M9 with just a few extra pounds, but at 1/4 the price!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Intense-M1-Downhill-MTB-Recent-re-build-Size-Large-/111107356477?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item19de83b73d#ht_903wt_1328
Hahahaha.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got me a 2001 RM7 of ebay for $400 from a semi-local guy so I didn't have to cover shipping. The rear shock was upgraded and a few parts replaced as needed, but the bike is basically stock.

I upgraded the drivetrain to SRAM X9 gear and have been riding the wheels off it. Other than the fork, I am very happy with the bike overall and considering I have less than $600 into the whole deal, I couldn't be happier.

6'4" not so smooth 42 year old rolling a large. It's awesome.

<edit> The fork is a Super T, not awful for 2001, but a far cry from an 888 or better.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
That first R9 is a beauty. At his size that thing should work well fit-wise, right price, and the sonofabitch will probably never die. Except the fork maybe.
I tend to agree, I miss my R9, but am glad that a local bought mine. Good price, indestructible & I think about a 64 degree HA....kinda RM approved!. ;)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
A lot of my friends (5-6 guys) owned R9s and never really got along with them.
They also measured differently despite being the 'same' frame size so have the owner give actual measurements if you look at one.
They are bombproof, I'll give them that.
Would not bang.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I have to admit that I never "figured out" how to best ride mine, thought it was just me. I get along much better with the next FTW incarnation (FB 10).

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
25.4" Ett?
I have no idea how they measured that, but I rode one at Winter Park last year and couldn't stop my knees from hitting the handlebar. It just felt cramped. And, I am one inch shorter than our loveable curmudgeon Mark. I also rode one a couple years back at Northstar and I had the same issue.

Maybe this discrepancy between stated top tube length and reality is that top tube measurements are not really good indicators -- at least compared to reach -- on a downhill bike. In summary, I wouldn't recommend one to Mark unless he test rode it first and developed a love for tiny things. You have to remember Mark is used to long bikes -- he loves his Yeti's after all.

P.S. To put this into context even more, Mark considered a large SC V10 nigh unrideable when I talked to him about one last year. Just something to put this into perspective.

Last edited:

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
You will not find a DH bike more than 3 years old that will fit you correctly (unless a VP Free in XL is actually XL, I dunno) or you find a FB10.

I was in the same situation 4 years ago and settled on a L Driver 8 because it supposed to be burly (I'm 6'7" and 240) even though not long enough for me.

Since then there are several companies that make a true XL (SC, Foes, Devinci) but I think that's it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the_law nailed it. I like seriously long bikes. The large v10 feels tiny to me... even his XL could use a 50-60mm stem. Sometimes I think I should just find an old dh9, strip it and build it with current parts and a proper shock, then call it a day. Anybody have one floating around.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
or you find a FB10.
If anyone ever finds an XL, let me know. I will buy it. I already have 2. I think there's only 5 or so in North America, definitely less than 10.

Also I would not call that XL v-10 a "real" XL. That cockpit is still smaller than a large FB10. It is unrideably small for me.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So... I found a good condition dh9, but the guy wants $2k with a vintage 2003 build kit. That just won't work for me.