Quantcast

YT to the US after all

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Might be due to the Euro nosediving, but that has been going on for a while, so this price hike is weird coming so shortly after the initial price announcement.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Got to pay for warehousing in states and the free-hucker dude to shill the frames somehow.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Exchange rate of EUR to USD translates 2900 EUR to 3324 USD. The Tues Comp is 2900 EUR over here and 3800 USD in the US, so it must be more than just exchange rate compensation when looking at the US prices (never had, before this). I wonder if the difference is due to how overpriced many/most/all other bikes are in the US presently? Could it be that there simply isn't enough competition to warrant the same low price as we have here in Europe? Granted, the toll must be paid when shipping to the US also, so that is certainly some part of it. Maybe the rest really is the warehousing?

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Wait a minute, we in the UK (and I'm assuming the rest of EU) - always get shafted if we see RRP in USD, then expecting the GBP equivalent being near the exchange rate, but never ever is.

How are you lot liking them apples, now that the boot is on the other foot eh? :D

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
There he is! I was waiting patiently for you to come by and say something negative about Americans. You never disappoint!
Yeah, let's go troll him on some German DH forum! Oh wait, don't speak German. Maybe we are dumb...

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
the prices on their website were momentarily increased. not sure why, but for a couple hours they were increased. as soon as i posted it about it on RM, they dropped back to normal.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Is there a website with more detailed information? Rear wheel spacing, bb, seatpost, etc.? Thanks

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
Call them. That sounds like VAT. I am not 100% current on the new regs but my understanding is that you shouldnt have to pay sales tax on online purchases unless the company operates in the sames state as the ship to address.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Sure as shit, they add 20% sales tax at check out. Nice move YT, set prices back to the original and tack the 20% on at check out.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Welcome to what it's like buying anything from anyone in the US and importing to the EU.

And having said this, I sympathize with you on how much it sucks to see one price first and then a different one at the very end. I wish no company would be allowed to do it this way, but it seems to be how all of them are doing (thus, YT is as bad as all others, not any worse).

Last edited:

CamZink

Chimp
Jan 20, 2015
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to drop in and clear up a few things.
The random changes in the pricing and the glitches in the site were all errors in the website building. YT Industries in Europe adds 19% VAT (German Sales Tax) on top of bikes since they are sold out of Germany. There have been a few accidental tweaks, like that VAT being added to bikes in the US, but were cleared up in a few hours. The payment processing has been a bit of a struggle as the European internet formats are quite a bit different than North America's. However, everything on the site is only live when it is very secure with top level SSL certificates.

Please bare with us through the polishing up of the website.

No bikes were purchased while the 19% VAT was added to the bikes in North America. The only sales tax anyone in the USA will pay is customers from Nevada, as our offices and warehouse are in Reno, Nevada. The variance in prices has to do with a lot of things including our 11% import tax on complete bicycles in The USA, but we will keep the prices as low as we possibly can. We are still the lowest priced bikes on the market.
Bikes in The US will ship for $79 in the lower 48, and all warranties will be serviced from Reno.

Is there a website with more detailed information? Rear wheel spacing, bb, seatpost, etc.? Thanks
Hub spacing on the Tues is 150 rear and BB30 ; Capra is 142 and BB30 ; Dirt Love is 135 standard BB

With the shipping ports being gridlocked due to the Longshoreman's labor disputes with the shipping companies, we were forced to air freight our first shipment of bikes. This is over 5 times the cost of sea freight, but the bikes are almost guaranteed to be there this coming week versus the uncertainty of bike shipped via ocean freight and the likeliness of them not landing until May or even June... We will send an update out this week when bikes land and are ready to ship anywhere in North America!

Thank you everyone for your interest in YT, we are working very hard on this launch into the world's biggest market so please bare with us. Call 775-250-7087 or write service@ytindustries-usa.com if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions at all. We are here to keep you stoked on YT and riding your bike!

Cam

CamZink

Chimp
Jan 20, 2015
Best of luck with your launch, Cam. Any chance of selling frame sets only?
Thanks bud! Maybe in 2016, but no plans on frame only sales for now. The best resolution I have come up with is that used bikes actually sell better complete, (from my personal experiences) so you could take your existing bike and swap whatever parts you have to the YT and whatever you didn't like on the YT to your current bike to sell complete. With all the new hub spacing, wheel sizes, taper head tubes, BB30, etc it just makes more sense to buy a complete right now anyway.
Plus you can buy a complete YT for the price of some companies frame alone...
Hope all is well!

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
How do I play this situation? Do I post an 'omgz' type message about Cam getting his first RM post in a thread I started (the 'claim whatever credit you can, no matter if you just relayed info from somewhere else' option), or do I play it cool and pretend this is an average day to me (the 'sup, Cam' option)?

Either way - thanks for clearing things up, Cam, and thanks for getting involved.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Yeah, well he quoted me in his first post Evarrrrrrrrrr on RM!

Ps, I've been Dh'ing for 15 years now and never heard of him before. Did he win WC or something?

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
lol - I was being ironic towards forum posting in all-too many places, but yeah he did do something. I'm sure you can google that yourself though. My point was thanks, Cam, and that I didn't expect he was keeping an eye on RM.

antihero

Chimp
Jul 3, 2008
Hey Cam,

why don't you use your second post ever to tell us all about the secret carbon fibre downhill bike you've been testing deep inside your Nevada dessert proving grounds.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Hmm thats true. Its kind of an old signature but it is my local shop and I did used to work there... Still support those dudes for my other rides and it IS a killer shop.