Quantcast

Yummy!!!!! Burnt coffee

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
F'n Starpukes coffee really sucks, especially this morning. Their coffee is usally burned, but today it's really bad :angry: Apple fritter is pretty damn tasty though :cool:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My secretary brought in a couple delish pumpkin pies... I love the holidays when all the secretaries try to out do each other with Christmas treats.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i wonder how much thier product varies from across the nation. i've never had a Starbucks anywhere else except for in the Seattle area.... When i was in Boston for Y2K i nearly crapped my pants when i saw a huge line at a Seattles Best Coffee shop. The coffee is crap, maybe they have a better product in Boston? :confused: :confused:
Anyways i'm pissed they don't have irish cream flavoring at Starbucks anymore (wah! boo hoo) but i love their chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon twists. yum....

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I don't know why everyone is so down on Starbucks. Yes, their baristas can be picky; yes, their tenuous grip on the Italiano is annoying; yes, yuppies that hang out front with coffee table books are to be laughed at. But...their ground, bagged coffee is good and their bagged beans are good, too. I like most of their stronger blends. If it tastes burnt, it's probably been sitting on the warmer too long. Take it back and swap it for a fresh one. I personally never leave a place with food or drink before making sure it's right...well, besides liquor and grocery stores.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Did you get their regular coffee? The Christmas blend has a really icky burnt flavor. Still would rather have that than office coffee!

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
llkoolkeg said:
But...their ground, bagged coffee is good and their bagged beans are good, too. I like most of their stronger blends. If it tastes burnt, it's probably been sitting on the warmer too long.

I've just about finished a bag of their French Roast, and it is some pretty burnt-smelling stuff. I have enjoyed it though. It's not like I bought FR looking for mellow flavor.

Just started a bag of Community's New Orleans blend (lots o' chicory). Yummy, almost TOO drinkable. I'm thinking about spiking it w/some of the SB French.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i read somewhere that starbucks roasts their beans longer so that their popular milk-based drinks (lattes and caps) have a stronger coffee flavor.

skooks, i had a seattle's best in NC and it was horrible.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
narlus said:
i read somewhere that starbucks roasts their beans longer so that their popular milk-based drinks (lattes and caps) have a stronger coffee flavor.
Ding ding ding ding ding: Works for me. The Starbucks bottled mocha frap was my "gateway coffee." Now I dig Vietnamese coffee, and mix up my own variations at home.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Fathead said:
I've just about finished a bag of their French Roast, and it is some pretty burnt-smelling stuff. I have enjoyed it though. It's not like I bought FR looking for mellow flavor.
How long did it take you to finish the bag? Did you store it in a sealed container in the freezer? I buy that whenever it's on sale. I LOVE a dark, smoky roast and that stuff packs a punch. Every cup has the requisite gasoline slick on the top that lets me know I'm preppin' for overdrive.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
llkoolkeg said:
Maybe you should try Gevalia coffees or tea. It sounds like you have very delicate tastebuds. ;)
I don't drink much coffee anymore, however some of the best coffee I've ever had was from Tahoe House in Lake Tahoe:thumb:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Brian HCM#1 said:
Thats what I had, usally I get the medium blend which still is burnt.
I am betting in the Bay area there are tons of local roasters, that is where the goods are.

We have been roasting our own beans for about 6 months now. I have never had so many cups of perfect coffee. All it takes is a toastmaster air popcorn popper & some green beans (which cost about 50% less than allready roasted beans). Right now I am sipping on a nice cup of Indian Peaberry roasted at full city.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
llkoolkeg said:
How long did it take you to fininsh the bag? Did you store it in a sealed container in the freezer? I buy that whenever it's on sale. I LOVE a dark, smoky roast and that stuff packs a punch. Every cup has the requisite gasoline slick on the top that lets me know I'm preppin' for overdrive.
I brew about 4 cups/day, at 4-6 tbsp/per pot (can you believe they say to use 2tbsp/cup???). I used most of it in about 3 weeks. I keep it in the freezer w/the top rolled up and the wireband on it. I'll take reasonable care to keep stuff perky, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Ooooh, discussing keeping bagged stuff fresh. . . it brings back good memories. Yah, if coffee were as pricey as bud I would hassle a little more over storage.

Who am I kidding? I'd be growing it and selling it!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Fathead said:
I brew about 4 cups/day, at 4-6 tbsp/per pot (can you believe they say to use 2tbsp/cup???). I used most of it in about 3 weeks. I keep it in the freezer w/the top rolled up and the wireband on it. I'll take reasonable care to keep stuff perky, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Ooooh, discussing keeping bagged stuff fresh. . . it brings back good memories. Yah, if coffee were as pricey as bud I would hassle a little more over storage.

Who am I kidding? I'd be growing it and selling it!
It could be getting freezer burned.

In the bag with all the air rolled out and a chip-clip sealing it, I then put it in a square tupperware container for placement in the freezer. Regardless, a bag lasts me 4-5 days tops. It never has time to get stale!

Sadly, I have no K but even if I did, I'd sure as heck not keep it at home. Between having a wife, two kids and an arsenal of firearms, it just wouldn't be a good idea. :devil:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
llkoolkeg said:
How long did it take you to finish the bag? Did you store it in a sealed container in the freezer? I buy that whenever it's on sale. I LOVE a dark, smoky roast and that stuff packs a punch. Every cup has the requisite gasoline slick on the top that lets me know I'm preppin' for overdrive.

I've found that regular ol' Folgers Columbian beans taste way better than any of the Starbucks beans I've bought.

When I am in Alberquerque, NM I like to pick up a few bags of New Mexico Coffee Company's High Desert Roasters coffee beans at Costco.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
llkoolkeg said:
Sadly, I have no K but even if I did, I'd sure as heck not keep it at home. Between having a wife, two kids and an arsenal of firearms, it just wouldn't be a good idea. :devil:
Ditto on all points. BTW I wanna thank you for participating in toking up in Brian's coffee thread w/me. I know he appreciates it ;)

Do you still roll up leftover food in baggies and push the air out? How about re-rolling soft tacos and fajitas to make sure the goodies are nice and tight? Old habits die hard.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TN said:
I am betting in the Bay area there are tons of local roasters, that is where the goods are.

We have been roasting our own beans for about 6 months now. I have never had so many cups of perfect coffee. All it takes is a toastmaster air popcorn popper & some green beans (which cost about 50% less than allready roasted beans). Right now I am sipping on a nice cup of Indian Peaberry roasted at full city.
How long to you 'cook' the beans for? I have one of those air popcorn popper and would like to try roasting my own.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
N8 said:
I've found that regular ol' Folgers Columbian beans taste way better than any of the Starbucks beans I've bought.
I have never tried them, honestly, because of the coffee PTSD I experienced while working through college with the Dept. of the Army at Ft. Belvoir. Regular ground Folgers purchased in the 55 gal econo drum container. I think sawdust would produce a finer cup.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Fathead said:
BTW I wanna thank you for participating in toking up in Brian's coffee thread w/me. I know he appreciates it ;)

Do you still roll up leftover food in baggies and push the air out? How about re-rolling soft tacos and fajitas to make sure the goodies are nice and tight? Old habits die hard.
We've ironed out our difference in that regard, I hope, and shall live-n-let live. :)

RE: the use of toker skills in other areas, you betcha. My skills with flexible tubing and plant life have helped out many times with legitimate and legal pursuits. :thumb:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
llkoolkeg said:
I have never tried them, honestly, because of the coffee PTSD I experienced while working through college with the Dept. of the Army at Ft. Belvoir. Regular ground Folgers purchased in the 55 gal econo drum container. I think sawdust would produce a finer cup.

Well I can attest that regular ground Folgers sucks ass... but buy a bag of Folgers Columbian beans sometime and give it a shot. I am betting you will pleasently surprised.

:)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Starbucks does indeed burn their beans. Seattle's Best is even worse.

Two reasons...in a 22oz latte, you couldn't even tell their was espresso in there unless you really overroast the beans, and it also lets them keep a very consistent product when the roast is the defining taste, instead of the bean or blend.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
I was told not to put coffee beans/ground in the freezer and should just be tightly sealed and stored in a cool dry place. Any truth to this?
i've heard that too. i stopped using the freezer, and now use a canister w/ a fliptop like a grolsch bottle. haven't done an A->B tasting yet, but it seems good to me.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Snacks said:
How long to you 'cook' the beans for? I have one of those air popcorn popper and would like to try roasting my own.
usually around 5 minutes, but you really roast by the sound of the crack. check out http://www.sweetmarias.com for some good info & some good deals on beans. Besides always drinking kick ass coffee, it is fun shopping for the beans & even more fun roasting them.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TN said:
usually around 5 minutes, but you really roast by the sound of the crack. check out http://www.sweetmarias.com for some good info & some good deals on beans. Besides always drinking kick ass coffee, it is fun shopping for the beans & even more fun roasting them.
Thanks! I think I'll try it this weekend. Where do you find your raw beans?