Quantcast

Yummy Trail food

sumskat

Chimp
Oct 1, 2006
Hey guys. thought I would post a thread for y'all who have good ideas for food that is good to take with you on those long trail days. Here's my suggestion...

Take one bagel, slice horizontally as per normal. On the bottom slice spread some nice, crunchy peanutbutter. On the inside of the top slice, spread some runny honey. Then take 1 banana:banana: , slice it up and stick the slices into the honey. Stick the two halves together to make a bagel sandwich, drop it into a sandwich bag and look forward to the mid-trail snacktime!

It tastes goooood, and has plenty of sugar (the honey), the banana:banana: is good relplenishment energy (how many times you seen tennis players eat a banana between sets??) and the peanuts give you a good source of slow releasing energy. The bagel is nice and thick and less prone to being squashed in your bag than regular bread, plus it tastes a whole lot better.

It may not sound to everone's taste-buds, but don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Anyone else with some good, tasty suggestions?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mmm......... trail food. I like packing a big ol' sub sandwich with all the fixin's. Don't really care if it's squished - it provides a *ton* of tasty goodness when you're 20 miles out in the sticks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Peanut butter, banana and honey is a classic, can't get much better.

SS, are you talking about a meaty sandwich with mayo and stuff? I stopped packing in real subs like that after a friend of mine had to have this stomach pumped. I mean think about it: Preservatives or not, lunch meat festering away in your camel back for three hours or so is pretty sketchy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
SS, are you talking about a meaty sandwich with mayo and stuff? I stopped packing in real subs like that after a friend of mine had to have this stomach pumped. I mean think about it: Preservatives or not, lunch meat festering away in your camel back for three hours or so is pretty sketchy.
Mine is always insulated inside a jacket in my Camelback. And besides - it never gets warm the places I go for a big ride. :D

sumskat

Chimp
Oct 1, 2006
it aint messy or sticky. by the time you get round to eating it, the honey normally has soaked into the bagel a little, so doesn't get sticky. just tastes damn good. man my mouth is watering just thinking bout it. dammit no bagels in the house atm...that toasted tortilla sounds hot-diggidy-dang.

forgot to mention that adding nutella into the honey/banana/peanutbutter bagel adds extra tasty-ness.:banana: :banana: :banana: