Quantcast

Yummy!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Just got it today, tomorrow it shall be built. One question though... is there supposed to be a little bit of oil leaking from the base of the freehub body?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That is way too nice a hub for a hack like you ;)

Nice stuff Ben! 3X with db spokes to what rim?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
kidwoo said:
Plus they really do kind of leak a little bit. I got tired of refilling mine and just put grease in it.
No! Don't say that! That's not what I want to hear! Argh... :(

Zark said:
That is way too nice a hub for a hack like you ;)

Nice stuff Ben! 3X with db spokes to what rim?
3x with black straight gauge to my current EX729. I'm just replacing the crappy Cannondale hub that came with the frame.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
dexterq20 said:
No! Don't say that! That's not what I want to hear! Argh... :(

3x with black straight gauge to my current EX729. I'm just replacing the crappy Cannondale hub that came with the frame.
That hub deserves DB spokes and a little love in the build.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
zedro said:
I switched to a slightly heavier synthetic oil and it doesnt leak.
So... should I bother switching oils now, or just wait it out? And what kind of oil did you switch to? And um... I have absolutely no idea how to work on this thing. :think:

H8R said:
That hub deserves DB spokes and a little love in the build.
I'm a fan of straight gauge spokes, but I'll give it all the lovin' it can handle (figuratively, of course).

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
dexterq20 said:
So... should I bother switching oils now, or just wait it out? And what kind of oil did you switch to? And um... I have absolutely no idea how to work on this thing. :think:

dont worry about it, this hub likes periodic lubing so just whipe down and leave be (its just excess oil anyways). I used some Schwinn brand stuff from Canadian Tire

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dexterq20 said:
I'm a fan of straight gauge spokes, but I'll give it all the lovin' it can handle (figuratively, of course).
DB's are stronger and lighter, its a smart move to do DB spokes.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
DB's are stronger and lighter, its a smart move to do DB spokes.
Perhaps, but I've never had a single problem with straight gauge spokes, and they're also cheaper. The weight savings are also minimal with double butted spokes. Besides, my intuition tells me that straight gauge spokes would be better for the forces generated by large disc rotors.

More info/debate/eSpeculation here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89606

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
dexterq20 said:
Just got it today, tomorrow it shall be built. One question though... is there supposed to be a little bit of oil leaking from the base of the freehub body?
Shut up, OCD boi.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
dexterq20 said:
Perhaps, but I've never had a single problem with straight gauge spokes, and they're also cheaper. The weight savings are also minimal with double butted spokes. Besides, my intuition tells me that straight gauge spokes would be better for the forces generated by large disc rotors.

More info/debate/eSpeculation here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89606
DB spokes are stronger, but trickier to build with. Most spoke failure comes from a poor initial build, and poor follow up and truing. Once the wheel is broken in, and the tension maintained, DB's last a long time.

I weigh 220 lbs, and I'm a clumsy ass on a huge SS hardtail built on Trailpimps w/ DT Comp spokes. No problems in three years.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm a huge guy too (240lbs) and run 14g regular spokes laced 3x to my Hope/Arrow DHX combo. Bullitproof I tell you! As long as the things strong I could care less what spokes are used, whatever works with the least amount of maintence works for me :)

Sick build though, those hubs are sweet