Quantcast

Z-150SL vs. Pike Team........

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I've got a line on a new 04 Z-150 SL (the air version) for a good deal, vs. picking up on of the new Pike Team forks for slightly less. Both would be new, and with warrantee. I will need to get a 20mm axle wheel either way.

I've got an 04 Z-1FR right now, and am really loving it. This is on a beefy steel hardtail, meant for a big SC fork. Tire clearance looks to be about the same; once in a while I run a 2.7 up front.

Only reason to change is a bit more travel (150mm vs 140mm) from the 130mm on the Z-1, and to have a beefier axle setup. I don't get too crazy on my bike, but have been doing bigger/more stupid things in the last two years. Possible slightly less weight with these two forks as well. Neither fork is going to whack out my bikes handling to much, as I think the head angle will change less than a degree.

I'm only 145# plus a few pounds for gear and so on; am I even going to notice a change in stiffness due to the 20mm axle at my weight?

I'm sure I'd love Marzocchi, but I'm curious about the Pike.

Thanks for any advice........

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
both forks weigh EXACTLY the same, iirc 2315pike team 2309z150sl on my digital scale.

the pike has got the uturn and the maxle going for it, plus its a lot lower than the marzo so depending on your setup that might be important.

the pike is more versatile because of the maxle which is just worlds apart from marzocchis or anybody elses "qr" thru axle systems, and the uturn that i think is a lot better than eta/ecc.

then again the zocchi is alot more adjustable in spring rate and feels plusher than the pike which i think isnt all that smooth as it could be (got one here on one of my housemates AC, housemate out with 3rd degree shoulder separation = riding time on the pike hehe)

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks; by my guess-timation, I figured the weights would be close enough to not really matter. With a decent 20mm wheel build (read: not a boat anchor) I can still come in lighter than my current Z-1 and wheel.

I guess I'm just worried about longterm durability. Marzocchi rep vs. Rock shox rep......but the Maxle for a 20mm wheel sounds really nice.

Only had one RS in the past, a 2002 Duke SL that sucked big time; baaaaad slop all over in the fork after 6 months. As opposed to beating the snot out of my Z-1 - it just takes it, and seems to beg for more.

Hmmm. I think I'll gamble on the RS, and see how it works out. I'll keep the Z-1 around for a bit, just in case.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I never liked my Z150Sl, as hard as I tried. So far, the Pike Team and Air I own both feel great and appear to be as stiff as the Z150 was.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dan-o said:
I never liked my Z150Sl, as hard as I tried. So far, the Pike Team and Air I own both feel great and appear to be as stiff as the Z150 was.

care to tell me more about the pike air?
its not travel adjustable is it?
weight?
same dual air as in sids?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Vitox, I only have about 10 rides on the air fork to date and haven't weighed it. No travel adjustment, no remote lockout, otherwise identical chassis. I'm not familiar with the Sid so I can't comment on whether the system is the same.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
dan-o said:

what was bad about the Z-150? i'd like it for the burliness i know it has, but would like the ease of the maxle on the other fork.

again, back to the long term durability. i KNOW marzocchi has that for me, i'm very leery of the rock shox though. but, i can get it for aobut $100 less, so, i think i'll go that way.

if anyone else who has ridden the two forks cares to chime in, please do.