Quantcast

Z1 FR on a Cheeta Prowler - would it screw up geometry?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
:help: Hey Just curious if any of you DH Monkeys spent any time on a Cheeta Prowler.

I have a 2002 Prowler with 7" of travel and I'm wondering if a 2003Z1FR would work on it or would it screw up the Geometry too much?

Any thoughts out there?

I have an offer on the fork - but I may just want to keep it. :help:

Thanks in advance!

Mark

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Haha - thanks Lennox - sorry it didn't work out bro. But the Z1 is hard to let go for that price - it just isn't the right fork the bike it is currently on (my Belair).

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I rode my 8.5" travel super 8 with a 5" z1 on it while I was waiting for my shiver. It wasn't as bad as it sounds. Of cousre the headangle was steeper, but it handled well. It basically felt like a trail bike that pedaled really bad. It was weird. You could go into rough stuff pretty fast by just leaning back and letting the front end float.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm gonna give it a shot. Can't hurt to give it a try right? I mean it has a DH2 on it right now and it is pretty slack - folks ride their Bullits with Z1s up front as burly trail bikes so I think it could be a worthwhile experiment.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It'll change the headangle by two degrees. Any idea what your head angle is currently at?

Regardless, there will be a very noticable change in geometry, but it probably won't be the headangle that will be the problem.. If you're using a 5" fork, you're probably not DH'ing with it, right? So you'll end up with a long wheelbase, long chainstay trail bike that pedals badly.

Give it a shot, though! It'll definitly change the geomtry, noticably. Screw up? That's pretty subjective...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
JM - you wouldn't happen to have any old cheeta literature would you? I bought the frame used but it would be cool to have old literature on it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
MMcG said:
JM - you wouldn't happen to have any old cheeta literature would you? I bought the frame used but it would be cool to have old literature on it.
no, and i had a proline, not a prowler