Quantcast

Z1 FR owners - what spring do you run and what's your weight?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hey I didn't think this was ever a topic in here and I thought I'd get more feedback here than in the Tech forum so here goes.

I have a 2003 Z1 FR and It is currently set up with the red spring kit - which I believe is for riders between 180-200 pounds - and my fork feels a little too stiff for me. I'm probably around 175 with all my gear on. Fork oil is 7.5wt btw.

So I'd love to hear from others as to what springs they are running in their Z1s and their weight with riding gear on and also what type of oil (in terms of weight) that you are running.

I've heard so many great things about Z1s but for some reason the one I got via a trade for a Talas just isn't blowing me away like I thought it would.

But perhaps it is because I don't have it set up properly with the appropriate springs and oil weight and height for my riding weight etc.

So help a monkey out a bit.

Thanks!

Mark

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm about 170 and I run stock springs in all three of my Z1's. Stock 7.5 wt oil too. I'm not sure what color they are but I bought all but one of them new.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Looks like the white springs are Medium springs - perhaps that's what I should try before giving up on the fork.

So with that in mind.......anyone got any Z! FR white springs they want to unload or to trade for red ones or the next ones up (I have those too)?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Maybe that's what it is then - maybe I need to go down to the Medium springs. It's worth a shot for sure methinks. How much would springs run me if I end up needing to buy them? $25? or much more than that?

Dirt Knap

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Wisconsin
I had a 03 Z1FR. I weigh about 160 and I had an orange spring in the non eta side. On the eta side I had the stock spring. That combo with 7.5wt oil was perfect for me. I mainly did heavy trail riding. I hope this helps some.