Quantcast

Z1 SL doppio help

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ok, I have a new-to-me Z1 SL with the doppio air cart. Very familiar with oldschool marzo coil forks, but I haven't ever used a Marzo air fork before. This thing had me baffled. The manual is worse than useless. I figured out the basics yesterday, but was looking for more info on how the pos and neg air chambers interact.

I have the neg chamber pumped up high to give me less travel...what are the consequences of this?

What's the effect of using 'preload' pressure on the right side vs. using more positive air pressure on the left?

When is it better to adjust the damping rather than the air pressure?

Can I still adjust progression via oil height, or it it the PAR system only now?

Thanks...

MD

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you can still adjust progression via oil height.

no real consequences to having less travel due to the negative chamber having more pressure than the combined positive chambers

using the damper side air valve means slightly different progression rates on the air spring, hard to know exactly how that works out in each case.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks!

So the negative chamber doesn't do anything except change the travel once you're above the min. required pressure?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Thanks!

So the negative chamber doesn't do anything except change the travel once you're above the min. required pressure?

i dont think so, i havent noticed much at least. btw there is no min. required pressure, you probably noticed there is a point where as you pump up the negative chamber, the fork starts shrinking, up to before that point you have some air preload, that some people also use for sag adjust.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks!

The idea of a negative chamber in the first place is to counteract the initial resistance of the regular ('positive') air spring so that it feels plush off the top with no threshold to get it moving. You probably knew that though.

But yeah lots of people are doing what you're doing...using it to lower the fork.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The idea of a negative chamber in the first place is to counteract the initial resistance of the regular ('positive') air spring so that it feels plush off the top with no threshold to get it moving. You probably knew that though.

But yeah lots of people are doing what you're doing...using it to lower the fork.

So what you're saying is that Ex-Lax isn't a good damping medium...?