Quantcast

Z1 VS fox vanila RCL

Krunac

Chimp
Feb 18, 2002
Should I go with Z1 freeride QR20 or FOX Vanila RCL? Money is no object and I don't need lockout.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Though one...both are great forks. What type of riding do you plan to do? What's the frame you're going to put this fork on?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I don't really know. The FOX is supposed to be super stiff...stiffer than a Z1 but I don't know about the Z1 QR20. Some other monkeys might know more than me. The only thing I know is that everybody who tried the Fox are very impressed by the fork.

For what you want to do, I'm not sure the Z1 FR is your best choice. It has the new high speed sensitive damping which adds a lot of $$$ to the fork and you won't need it doing urban and stuff like that.

If you DON'T plan to do a lot of trail riding, a Marzocchi DJ1 could be a very good choice. It is designed to take a big hit like the one that occurs in DJing and Urban riding. It is a QR20 fork, it has the beefy stanchions of the Super-T. If you plan to ride in trails, you should forget about it though (unless you're a big guy).

:)

Krunac

Chimp
Feb 18, 2002
I've riden Z1 (CR - 2000) for a year with 110mm of travel and it worked great but it wasn't stiff at all. I allso tried FOX vanila RLC on backyard and was impressed but I can't say much about stiffnes from that 5 minute ride.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The Fox has the stiffest crown around so it'll be stiffer front to rear. The 20mm only helps with torsional stiffness, but I don't think you can tell the difference to be honest. The fox has a better damper too, but also probably not that noticeable.

The ECC is the best lockout around, but you said that didn't matter.

The Zoke is pretty indestructable and the company is fanatastic to deal with. Fox has had a few hickups, but has taken care of its customers pretty well.

I'd say it all comes down to whether or not you already have a 20mm wheel. If so, get the Zoke. If not, the zoke is certainly not worth getting a new wheelset. I have a Z1 CR QR20 (not as stiff as the new ones...), and I'd get a Vanilla if I didn't already have the wheelset.

One thing to check on that I'm not sure about is 8" disc compatibility. The QR20 zokes can handle it. Not sure about the Fox, but I don't think it's a problem.

G

gravity

ohio, the Fox can handle 8" rotors apparently, however seeing as it's a QR dropout, the wheel (and therefore the rotor) can shift slightly on impacts (jumps, drops etc) and the rotor movement is amplified on a larger rotor.

this is only what i HEARD from another monkey, not sure who tho.... but it sounds right to me.

R0CKAFELLA

Chimp
Dec 11, 2001
:D That'll be me!!! Yup, and that was what I experienced. Apart from that, the 8in fits perfectly. But Fox said that will void the warranty.

As for the adjustments, the Fox is definitely more adjustable than almost any single crown fork out there. And when both forks come stock, the Fox doesn't bottom out as esaily as Marzocchi's.

I'd agree on what Ohio suggested about the 'wheelset decision'.
One thing I noticed about the HSCV on the new Marz forks is that it seems to work better on the longer travel fork??!?!;)

G

gravity

Originally posted by R0CKAFELLA
I'd agree on what Ohio suggested about the 'wheelset decision'.
One thing I noticed about the HSCV on the new Marz forks is that it seems to work better on the longer travel fork??!?!;)
to me it seems that the HSCV would work better on longer travel forks cos you have a higher average shaft speed.... therefore more range in speeds to be able to compensate for. or something.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
if not...get the fox. super stiff, smooth compression, no stiction. excellent customer service. pretty strong all around.