Quantcast

z150 problem?

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
Trying to do an oil change on a z150 and the top caps will not unscrew from the cartridges, springs etc. I removed the cartridges from the lowers but this doesn't seem like normal Marzocchi to me. Am I missing something or are you supposed to fill the lowers with oil with everything out?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
just unscrew the top caps, leave lowers attached, poor oil out anput more in, measure oil height when fully compressed. Marzocchi has instructions on their web page.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
You dont just unscrew the top part. You also unscrew the preload adjuster cap and pop out the "c" clip. Then the big top cap thing will come off of the crown. The "c" clip holds the cartridge to the top cap. Hope that helped.

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
OK, I hope I am explaining this correct. Its a z150 without the gold dials on the top maybe the 03' model. From what I can see there are no c clips on top of the top caps. I would expect some c clips but there are none to be found. I find it strange that when I unscrew the topcaps they come out of the crown but stay attached to the internals of the fork. I have changed super t's, z1's and never removed all the internals to change oil just the springs. With this z150 I cant get the springs out.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
The 2003.5 Z150 is different from any other Marz fork I've ever owned. There are no C Clips. I don't own the fork anymore but if I recall I had to unscrew the top caps, put a wrench on the flats of the cartridge, can't recall the specifics) then unscrew the top caps from the cartridge. Call Marz tech, it's not the same as other Zokes.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I have the same fork, here's what you do - open up the top caps - there is a red nut on the cartridge rod just under the cap. Push the springs down, and put a 10mm open end wrench on the red nut (to hold it in place), and then unscrew the top cap from the rod. The top caps will come off at this point. It all goes back together the same way - NOTE: Do not over tighten the red nuts, they will strip. You will get a feel for how tight they should be when loosening the red nut.