Quantcast

'Zat you, Santi Claws?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I caught an interesting notice out of the Intense M16C review on PB. Is it true, has the VPP patent expired? Are we going to get a sea of unridabru, sunburnt crabon frames as Xmas presents?

Mike Kazimer said:
Previously, Intense had licensed the virtual pivot point design from Santa Cruz, but the patent has since expired, and Intense now refers to the design as JS-Tuned Suspension, where JS refers to company owner Jeff Steber. On that note, now that both the virtual pivot point and Horst Link suspension patents have expired the playing field is wide open – it will be interesting to see how frame designs change in the coming years.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Hopefully this means I'll be able to buy a 29+ VPP fat e-bike in questionable chinese carbon soon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SC will now come out with a multi-degree of freedom suspension that plots a 3-D volume for superior suppleabiltiy™ and anti-squat.

Just kidding, not new, not a fancy linkage, just their old flexy as fuck single pivot designs. 50% lateral travel is a feature damn it.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
So does this mean Intense JS-tuned suspension bikes are going to cheaper since they don't have to license VPP? I think not, but it's a nice thought!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They drop the price by the same amount as they did when moving production to Asia. ;)

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Aren't their multiple patents involved with VPP that were filed over time as they developed the design. So the oldest one would have expired but others are still active so maybe a free for all won't happen for a few years.