Quantcast

Zerode or Jedi?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
just weigh the next frame and put out a real world weight :)

its obvious they are great bikes :)
just give us the numbers ^^

Okay will take out the Alfines and throw em on the scale. I have an idea. The DHR,V-10 and Legend we tested came in at around 12LBS with shock and spring. I am expecting some team frames back soon. 2012's maybe in next 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I guess my 16.9 lb isn't a real world weight?
as you yourself said you posted the weight of the first gen model, right?

lanjenn is part of the distribution for zerode in the us, so he should have access to the newer version, i was asking him to put one on a scale for us weight weenie idiots.

to be honest there are two reasons why i do not own a zerode at the moment.
a: i broke both my hands about a year ago in whistler and they still are not fit to really ride bikes
b: the large is to small for me

so i really am looking forward to seeing the XL reach production!!!

i would love to have a weight of frame only, and frame with all the bits and pieces needed excluding shock.

thanks!

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
In short, a Zerode probably would be better if lighter, but the benefits for most, far outweigh the weight penalty that most feel doesn't faze them.
I've ridden a few now and I don't think they magically disguise the extra weight that they carry. But let's work it out.Have you ridden one to enjoy, and not try to find fault in to reassure your own beliefs? They're a different beast, and as mentioned, may take a little while to retrain your subconscious, one run it not a fair trial of a bike, especially a Zerode. You have no interest in high pivot bikes and yet you're always in threads trying to discredit them the best you can. and yet 99% of other peoples findings from a range of skill back grounds says they're good. We've(Crankin, Zerode Australia) had 1 out of 20+ owners in Oz that had anything negative to say about his Zerode, and I think he's ridding pretty smooth tight tracks that a AM bike would possibly do well on. Every other rider has claimed to be faster and more confident. I'm sure some race results for any Zerode riders would substantiate this, but again, that's not black and white proof..
Subtract from that the CCDB + Steel (476g + ~500g = 976g), and we get 6690g (14.75lbs). The shock cover and rear axle are part of any frame weight, so to compare to conventional frames we just have to subtract the parts below. I'll use the parts I've run for years, but feel free to substitute your own values:

Derailleur - Dura Ace 7800-SS - 182g (X0-Short is 197g, M810-SS is 223g)
Cassette - Dura Ace 11-23 - 156g (M970 11-32 is 223g if you need lower gearing)
Shifter - XTR M970 - 113g (X0 is 112g)
Cable - 70g (estimate inner+outer)
Guide - LG1+ - 179g
----------------------------------------
700g You may have ridden for years, and it's second nature for you to protect your frail rear mech, ones it's out of your head, you'll find you have a much larger window of possible lines. Other people are smashing mechs of left right and center, watch any race.

So, 6690g - 700g = 5990g (13.21lbs)
For a Zerode frame weight (with no shock) that you can compare to other bikes.To be faair, you'd compare it to any bike with a proven track record for durability. The Zerodes are only two years old, so unproven realistically themselves, but all tubes etc are on the thicker side of what the manufacturer uses. Thicker than the other brands they built for.

But the frame rides light because of weight centralisation? Let's work that out too.

A conventional frame carries its additional weight at the rear extremity, derailleur + cassette = 336g in my case. The swing arm is a 17" long lever, so multiply the weight by? Factor in that most current race frames have pivot-less carbon rear triangles (compared to the alloy Zerode with pivots / hardware) and that number will realistically drop.I'm pretty sure the centralized mass acting as a counter weight, or balast, also makes the rear feel lighter. The Zerodes are built tough, a lot of the weight is in durability, not just gearbox. You're comparing to all the lightest products available, without any mention of cost, or much proof of durability as far as swing arms go.

The Zerode carries its additional weight higher up in the frame, and while I'd consider frame COG height to be far less important than rider COG height, it's worth mentioning. 1590g for a Alfine hub, plus mounting hardware.
How much energy to move or cost in feel do you really think that weight would make? It's below your knees. Not under the seat.

Just trying to provide some numbers people can use for comparison's sake. I have no doubt it rides well and can win races under a good rider, but that can be said for any decent bike these days.Yes a convenient way to discredit Tim Eatons results, but they are what they are. A win. Just for example like Sam Hill possibly being handicapped by his Specialized for example that I'd think you'd consider a possibility. Again, have a look at other Zerode riders results.

If anyone has a verified weight for the current Zerode (G2?) frame in M/L it'd be useful, but so far no one apart from Kntr (S/M size) has provided any actual numbers.
If you want the lightest bike available(possibly at the cost of durability looking at Trek and Kona)then don't buy a Zerode. If you want a bike that'll make you most likely faster and more confident, with the least amount of maintenance, and good durability, get a Zerode.
Every bike is a compromise, and some people just don't like certain types of bikes feel. The OP does like rearward travel bikes, and I strongly feel that a Zerodes gearbox benefits far out weigh any perceivable weight penalty. These are
Shift any time.
No pedaling the gear through worried about pedal strikes, so you can shift way before even needing the gear.
No grindings gears through if you did mis-shift.
Heaps less maintenance.
Heaps more drivetrain durability unless you ballerina through the rocks which leads to more line choices.
Theoretically should have great frame durability, great results so far from the first two years.
Stability and confidence in the rough, or off big stuff, and at speed.
and so on and so on
All for the cost of whatever weight penalty, divided by the reality of how they perform.
This also doesn't take into account any extra energy you'll have by being able to take rougher lines more easily, and not being exhausted from rock gardens etc therefore making the bike possibly lighter to manage.
UDI rides a 8" travel Sunday and has for years now, a very different beast to a 9.25" Zerode.
It's like driving a turbo 4 and a V8.

Last edited:

invol2ver

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
i vote jedi. amazing bike and amazing company. plows through the rough. lance and chris would love to have you

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
hey, im not a hater, just getting info as I always thought they were way too pricey (given i was looking at aus prices unknowingly)

But in the spirit of doing positive ****, i bought a bunch of tickets for the raffle.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
NSM -
Wasn't looking for an argument, just real-world numbers.
Let's keep it that way.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
NSM -
Wasn't looking for an argument, just real-world numbers.
Let's keep it that way.
"Real world numbers" to me means how heavy it feels when it rides, not what it weighs when you lift it up.
Zerodes are heavy, want something light, buy something lighter. Where do you draw the line? Hardtail or full rigid?
Mine as pictured weighed 40.5. Some light bits, but also lots of sealant and Avy cart with lots of oil.
View attachment 112343

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
No, a number is just that - a number - not "my bike feels really light even though it's not".

For reference, something as simple as faster rebound can make a bike "ride lighter". It's not a useful point of comparison. Also, complete bike weights don't really mean anything. Not everyone runs tubeless.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
"Real world numbers" to me means how heavy it feels when it rides, not what it weighs when you lift it up.
I don't want to get involved in this but that is proper stupid. Cmon buddy, thats the exact opposite of the definition of real world numbers.

FWIW, I've done a couple of runs on the Zerode and quite liked it (aside from the tyres on it). I'd rock one quite happily, but prefer my TR450 to be honest.

Last edited:

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Real world experience on these bikes counts for more than any numbers
Mine with 888 Evo 2s atomlab pimplite wheels and full dh tubes and tyres is 45 pounds.
I haven't built mine light but it still rides awesome.
Had a 2stage before this at 45 pounds also and the Zerode is a much lighter ride. You can pick the bike up and put it where you want on the trail.

So what we know is you can build zerodes to last with heavier stuff and they feel great at 45 pounds.
Or with some planning easily get them to 38 pounds and they also ride great.

The frame is a porker. But the weight is in a different place to any conventional bike so staring at a frame weight whilst spilling your dorritos isn't helping.

The bike is different. So weight is different. It builds different. They ride different. If your happy with normal then great. I'm gunna be over here with my different bike having more fun than you.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
word is Zerodes are supposed to be lighter next year. at least 3 "feelslikeit" units lighter.

I've never tried one, but if I could get my hands on a small, tuned for my weight, I'd be keen to try one out.

I'm on a TR450 now, which I love, incidentally...

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Very defensive bunch of owners in here.

Would love to add the Zerode to my stable.

Weight isn't always about going fast - not everyone in here is a competitive racer. Weight can also be about comfort, convenience, or health (old bones loading a bike into a pickup). Some people just like to geek out and go light.

Whatever the reason, can't really see why it's a touchy subject. So the bike is heavy. Big whoop.

For comparison, the Santa Cruz V10.4 weighs 7.3lb without shock (weighed by Sicklines), and the Session 9.9 should be right around 5.3 (extrapolated and estimated by yours truly).

And yet no one claims that the Session rides better than the Zerode. It's all personal preference. We should attempt to provide as much information to others as possible, so that they can make informed decisions.

And after all of this, I still don't know what the Jedi frame weight is!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Zerode looks great would love to ride one....if it could be built to a legitimate 38-40 lbs then it would be on par with the other non carbon frames....can't see a fault of a lb or 2 extra as long as it works.

Love the Jedi works amazing can't fault it...good to see another rearward set up that works well....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't believe you talk about not caring about weight nor racing and the main arguments for the Jedi so far are that it's lighter.

Lower maintenance, great performance, "neat" in the sense that it's a gearbox bike, and similar in price. I'd have a hard time selecting the Jedi for a bike that's going to be ridden hard in the woods. Hell, on number of pivots alone I'd have a hard time picking the canfield.

As for the weight issue, I rode a bike that "rode lighter than it was" and it was a world of difference switching to a bike that was as light as it should be. Faster, longer, easier. The question is, do you give up some weight for the transmission, or is that too much for you?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I think weight comes into play in the long end. Once you have a suspension that works some companies are running 20 year old designs and you have gotten the angles dialled what more can you do but trim weight?

It's a way for their engineers, marketing guys to stay employed. I wouldn't expect a small company to come out with a tin can frame their first few just to shave weight and risk failure.

So as stated the bikes are getting weight shaved each version. Angles altered, slight alterations each run. Their tube thickness is twice that of a Trek 88 in some parts. So there is plenty of room to shave.

Being able to shift anytime with no maintenance needed is worth the extra 1LB or so the Alfine adds.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Some of you Zerode defenders are pretty hilarious, and despite best intentions you're not really helping. Why can't you simply say: "My bike weighs 43 lbs but it feels lighter due to the gearbox layout and other features. And since the newer ones are even lighter, they feel even more lighterer. Try one and see for yourself."

The people asking the questions are capable of making their own decisions based on weight AND feel. They wouldn't be looking at the bike if they weren't interested.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this thread is delivering almost as much popcorn as the Undead thread... at least it's well on its way. [did I get the "its" vs. "it's" right there?]

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, i guess you're right, and they're all pretty much load bearing as well, similar to the jedi. derp. I was thinking it was more of a brooklyn-style arrangement, with one main pivot and a linkage driving setup, but it's more triangulated than that.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Some of you Zerode defenders are pretty hilarious, and despite best intentions you're not really helping.
Very defensive bunch of owners in here.
You guys just keep protecting your frail derailleurs, k? :D

I just liked the part where a guy that has never ridden with me details my riding style and line choices, I couldn't pay for entertainment this good!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Some of you Zerode defenders are pretty hilarious, and despite best intentions you're not really helping. Why can't you simply say: "My bike weighs 43 lbs but it feels lighter due to the gearbox layout and other features. And since the newer ones are even lighter, they feel even more lighterer. Try one and see for yourself."

The people asking the questions are capable of making their own decisions based on weight AND feel. They wouldn't be looking at the bike if they weren't interested.
The last one I had built weighed 41.5 LBS with Butcher SX tires and DH tubes. She had no derailure.:thumb:

AHAHA

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
yes but if you believe that linkage pivots are/should be under the same amount of lateral stress as designed load bearing pivots, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Depends entirely on the design. A four bar of any description has linkage pivots under considerable lateral force. Even a single pivot with linkage like the Zerode is always going to have significant lateral force on the linkage, as unless the pivots have lateral play in them, the linkage always adds stiffness. When I say lateral what I really mean is a bending moment at the pivot, since that's what it is. Now how about that bridge? :P

I don't know why people are getting so up about the weight of the Zerode. I'm personally so fed up with derailleurs I'd be happy with the extra kg. Changing a chain once every blue moon, never changing or adjusting a derailleur, dropping ~500g off the unsprung weight (if you use a fixed rear hub like the one made by that french company, can't think of the name) and shifting without pedaling are things for me that are worth way more than 1kg. I know I will never buy another derailleur bike again.

Last edited:

Philliam

Chimp
Jan 16, 2012
For the record, my old f1 was a ton of fun at about 44 lbs. I really didn't mind her weight. She always seemed to want to go faster than I could make her go, regardless of how fat she was. Am i still talking about bikes?

But seriously, I'm not into fat chicks.

Fat bikes, I don't mind.

Edit: I have a bottle rocket that I ride when I want to flick something around with less effort. She's a slender 39 lbs. Then there's the Evil Imperial for when I'm feeling masochistic...

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
42.8 lbs

-carbon Havoc bars
-Boxxer Team
-Hope hubs with Ex 500 rims (steel free hub)-2100g wheelset
-E13 cranks LG1+
-Thompson post
-WTB ti Rocket V
-ODI North Shore grips
-Maxxis 2ply DHF 3C with Maxxis Ultra Lite tubes
-XO brakes with OE discs (heavy solid discs)
-Canfield drop stem
-424 Shimano pedals
-CCDB with Obtainium spring and bearing collars
-2 sheets of 3M clear covering
are people really calling 42 lbs heavy? My TR450 is 42 lbs, with a "heavy" build, DH tubes, dh tires, no fancy expensive lightweight parts, fox 40, blah blah....my specialized big hit 3 with a fox 40 and no fancy pants lightweight parts weighs 41.

My tr450 rides light, I see no reason why a 42-44 lbs zerode should feel any lighter or heavier, or what the big deal is, they're DH bikes.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
He has a new version now he is testing. They have some 2012's still. But the order should happen sometime soon.