Quantcast

Zerode or Jedi?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
he proided a very informative post about the Zerode, the bike in question.

Have you ridden a zerode? have you sat on one? have you even had the chance to touch one and see it in person?

He didn't say the 951 only sucked because it was light, it also sucked because he felt it was too progressive, and didn't handle the chop well.
If you read my post you will see that I state I didn't and that I think zerode is probably a great bike. I'm talking about the weight, not about the frame itself. Why me calling out one argument about the zerode is me calling it bad?

As for the 951 I understand but "I can feel how light it is and it feels unstable" kinda suggests lightness plays a part of it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
If you read my post you will see that I state I didn't and that I think zerode is probably a great bike. I'm talking about the weight, not about the frame itself. Why me calling out one argument about the zerode is me calling it bad?

As for the 951 I understand but "I can feel how light it is and it feels unstable" kinda suggests lightness plays a part of it.
I never stated you said it was a bad bike. I stated you've never even sat on one so how in the world would you know if the weight is even an issue?

"I can feel how light it is and it's also unstable" - Of course he is pointing out part of the "lightness" as being part of the reason he did not like the bike. I've also ridden a 951 (and at least sat on a Zerode) and I can say that even when it is built heavier it doesn't handle the rough fantastically in my opinion either.

I started a post a while back comparing my tr450 to a carbon V-10, a specialized Big hit (fsr version 2009/2010) and a 951. It was agreed upon that the tr450 and V-10 are different but liked better by all 3 riders than the 951. That doesn't mean it's a bad bike, but I felt the same way that this gentleman did, and he has 100lbs on me and I didn't feel the bike rode bad because it was light, but it seemed "skippy" where as my tr450 and the v10 don't and I don't even know what the v-10 weighed and I just recently weighed my tr450.

The point is, you keep claiming that the heavy weight of a zerode is a bad attribute when you have never even sat on the bike, so you have NO CLUE about how the bike rides, this guy does and you are still sitting here arguing .....

Give it a rest.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yes, the Zerode has an anti-gravitron device which makes its excess heft undetectable. That makes a lot of sense.
You watch too much scyfy channel, its helium filled frame and tires are the real reason it feels light...

Lol its almost solid 9 pages of a weight related argument...can people post riding characteristics and handling between the 2 as well as pros and cons vs the weight.
Yes weight is bad, yes weight is good.....there's too many variables and terrain to dictate which is best for every one on top of that they are addressing the weight issue so it will be reasonable....

I am a Canfield guy personally but love the looks of the zerode and I think somewhere around oh I don't know maybe page 1 I got the point it was a heavier frame.
Heavy or not I still would love to ride one and see....

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The point is, you keep claiming that the heavy weight of a zerode is a bad attribute when you have never even sat on the bike, so you have NO CLUE about how the bike rides, this guy does and you are still sitting here arguing .....

Give it a rest.
People feel powerbalance working too ;) If someone could explain me how the change in momentum is not noticeable I would believe him. I spoke here before - it's new product bliss. I claimed the dhx air is a dh worthy shock and the legend jumps as good as any other bike. It would be believable if the Zerode owners could admit the bike has any faults. Because the same was said about canfield some time ago and now after going with zerode, the jedi has some faults, however small they are.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
It would be believable if the Zerode owners could admit the bike has any faults.
Okay I will answer you're question about what faults the bike may have.

1. Weight it can loose weight and as I have stated it will. No way can a small outfit doing runs of 80-100 a batch risk a snapped frame that will essentially ruin the company. So he used thicker gauge. I think it was a good call. Then he can shave each version down.

2. Production cost is big. SAPA saying it was the most expensive frame they have ever built is not a good way to make money. Keep in mind every ALFINE is torn apart and re-assembled by Rob 1 at a time. Alot of time is spent on each frame. This will come down as well and there are some very cool things in the works!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Okay I will answer you're question about what faults the bike may have.

1. Weight it can loose weight and as I have stated it will. No way can a small outfit doing runs of 80-100 a batch risk a snapped frame that will essentially ruin the company. So he used thicker gauge. I think it was a good call. Then he can shave each version down.

2. Production cost is big. SAPA saying it was the most expensive frame they have ever built is not a good way to make money. Keep in mind every ALFINE is torn apart and re-assembled by Rob 1 at a time. Alot of time is spent on each frame. This will come down as well and there are some very cool things in the works!
The 2nd part really excites me. I think people suggested it after the mk1 was shown. I have really high hopes for the future of zerode. btw. Any idea what makes it so expensive outside of the alfine?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The 2nd part really excites me. I think people suggested it after the mk1 was shown. I have really high hopes for the future of zerode. btw. Any idea what makes it so expensive outside of the alfine?
The middle of the frame that holds the Alfine is machined out of a solid piece of aluminum. Also I bet the top-tube shape isn't helping any either.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
It's all that extra material that makes the bike so heavy that costs so much :p

Not to mention, all the CNC Machine work, formed tubes, etc. There's a lot of fab work going on there.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Since the Jedi already has a elevated idler pulley... could they modify the bike a bit to accomodate a pinion or something similar? then there wouldn't be 9 pages of arguments about weight on ridemonkey. mind=blown!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Forging is much more expensive than just milling a billet of material. Forging is for strength.
not to mention it would involve additional manufacturing steps, the actual forging, as well as in most cases some amount of finish machining. The additional strength may allow them to build the part slightly lighter, but at what cost to manufacturing?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Forging is much more expensive than just milling a billet of material. Forging is for strength.
That was my thought but I remember banshee claiming it lowered costs for them vs CNC'ing the shock basket like it was in the mk1 protos.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I have owned both. A 2010 Jedi and a first edition Zerode. Here are the noticeable differences IMO:

The Canfield is more plow bike than the Zerode.
The Canfield seems to hold its speed better in the rough stuff
The Zerode turns a lot better and I'm not really sure why. It feels like a motocross bike and you ride it that way.
The gearbox is amazing and I would hate to go back to a standard setup on a DH bike. The thing is, you change where your shift points are and you just forget about the problems associated with a derailleur. I just shift when I want and i dont have to worry about whether I pedaled to get in the right gear first. Like your going into a corner for example. I shift the Zerode mid corner while leaned over and im in the right gear for exit. I have not thrown one chain all year.
The Canfield is a lot lighter with the same build and you will notice the weight unless your in the steep nasty high speed, then you dont notice the Zerode weight. In the flatter pedally stuff you notice it.
The Zerode jumps more controlled, My Canfied was very finicky when it came to body position.
My Zerode weighs 42 and thats with lightweight Components, I cant remember the Canfield weight.
I converted the Canfield into a 2 speed because of breaking derailleurs (hammerschmidt)

Here is my Zerode Spec
I9 DH wheels with enduro rims
CCDB Air (awesome)
Loaded bar stem
Mrp cranks
Boxxer coil/elka cartridge
SDG i-beam seat and seat post
Hope V2 brakes
Continental der kaiser tires

If you have the second version of the zerode, you will be about a pound lighter. If you go super light on the rest of the components i.e. carbon cranks and seat post, Boxxer WC and a lighter bar and stem combo you wil be in the 39-40 lb range, dont expect any more. We have built up a second generation zerode with a medium spec and it weighed 44lbs

Its a tough choice, if i were building up a Canfield I would build up the One with a DH spec if I wanted light. That bike is awesome by the way. I hate derailleurs though so thats a dilemma. I sell both brands in my shop and they are both great bikes. There will be a carbon Zerode at some point but it wont be soon. Thats would be the cats meow. Take it or leave it. Sorry if i posted redundant info, I wasnt going to read 7 pages of weight arguing. I have first edition used Zerode for sale as Im concentrating on enduro/super d, frame or complete.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just my personal preference, but it would be good if they could reduce the length of the headtube somehow and go 1.5" straight through to make it compatible with angled cups etc. Are there any alternatives to the Alfine shifter? How are the owners finding the shifter mechanism?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Just my personal preference, but it would be good if they could reduce the length of the headtube somehow and go 1.5" straight through to make it compatible with angled cups etc. Are there any alternatives to the Alfine shifter? How are the owners finding the shifter mechanism?
Next gen will have shorter headtube.
Zerodes are 1.5 and accept angle sets. They come with them for gen 2.
Zerode is working on a shifter hybrid to replace the Alfine, but it's a way off.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I have owned both. A 2010 Jedi and a first edition Zerode. Here are the noticeable differences IMO:

The Canfield is more plow bike than the Zerode.
The Canfield seems to hold its speed better in the rough stuff
The Zerode turns a lot better and I'm not really sure why. It feels like a motocross bike and you ride it that way.
The gearbox is amazing and I would hate to go back to a standard setup on a DH bike. The thing is, you change where your shift points are and you just forget about the problems associated with a derailleur. I just shift when I want and i dont have to worry about whether I pedaled to get in the right gear first. Like your going into a corner for example. I shift the Zerode mid corner while leaned over and im in the right gear for exit. I have not thrown one chain all year.
The Canfield is a lot lighter with the same build and you will notice the weight unless your in the steep nasty high speed, then you dont notice the Zerode weight. In the flatter pedally stuff you notice it.
The Zerode jumps more controlled, My Canfied was very finicky when it came to body position.
My Zerode weighs 42 and thats with lightweight Components, I cant remember the Canfield weight.
I converted the Canfield into a 2 speed because of breaking derailleurs (hammerschmidt)

Here is my Zerode Spec
I9 DH wheels with enduro rims
CCDB Air (awesome)
Loaded bar stem
Mrp cranks
Boxxer coil/elka cartridge
SDG i-beam seat and seat post
Hope V2 brakes
Continental der kaiser tires

If you have the second version of the zerode, you will be about a pound lighter. If you go super light on the rest of the components i.e. carbon cranks and seat post, Boxxer WC and a lighter bar and stem combo you wil be in the 39-40 lb range, dont expect any more. We have built up a second generation zerode with a medium spec and it weighed 44lbs

Its a tough choice, if i were building up a Canfield I would build up the One with a DH spec if I wanted light. That bike is awesome by the way. I hate derailleurs though so thats a dilemma. I sell both brands in my shop and they are both great bikes. There will be a carbon Zerode at some point but it wont be soon. Thats would be the cats meow. Take it or leave it. Sorry if i posted redundant info, I wasnt going to read 7 pages of weight arguing. I have first edition used Zerode for sale as Im concentrating on enduro/super d, frame or complete.
thanks a lot for your thoughts!!!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh didn't realise they were 1.5", probably should google more before I post.

Pretty cool bikes, can't wait to see the next generation.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Rob has been working on a part (indented wheel, the bit that clicks) to adapt an X9 shifter. Mate of mine has been on one of the first prototypes for a few months now and it seems to be working fine. Much better than the alfine apparently.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty objective review there from rocketmatt17, nice to hear an unbiased opinion from someone who has owned both. Sounds like the Zerode is better in some ways, just not in the weight department. I think this is probably the only post the OP needs, to make his decision based on whatever is important to him.

Seems like they're both excellent bikes good at different things.

Doggy

Chimp
Jun 14, 2008
NO... don't you know that will cause you to go blind and grow hair on your palms.
Pffft, he googles himself silly. Probably more then he should actually.....
The razor companies and hair removal creams are really helping him along with sponsorship though

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Rob has been working on a part (indented wheel, the bit that clicks) to adapt an X9 shifter. Mate of mine has been on one of the first prototypes for a few months now and it seems to be working fine. Much better than the alfine apparently.
Rob is sending me one next week. Ill have a review soon.

Wait until the 2013 Zerode comes out. Lots of changes.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
BTW, i never found that any of my jedi's jumped poorly, read that twice now. 09, 2010, 2012-all jumped fine, it was some of the other stuff that i felt the zerode was better at. (not that i have any complaints about it)

I did take them both out for a weekend, and rode them back to back. (not in a science experiment sort of way)
I started with the jedi, spent half the day at highland, and at lunch, i grabbed my zerode. (identical specs on both****) I felt more comfortable first run on the zerode than i did on the jedi. This was a berm and jump bike park setting, including the slopestyle course, which they both went down.

Although i rode jedis for the last 3 years, i am much happier with the zerode. Weight doesnt bother me

Last edited:

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand

the alfine shifter is fine bit bulkey but alright. can shift with your thumb in both directions. ive done a little shaving on mine to make that more comfy.
rode the x9 shifting prototyoe and it was brilliant.

Philliam

Chimp
Jan 16, 2012
Curious, is the x9 shifter prototype thingie a whole new shifter AND hub unit, or will 2012 hubs be able to retro fit new x9 shifter?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

The VicDH series is bigger and better than ever! Avid Zerode Team rider, Ben Hill, kicked off the season in style, taking his new Zerode G-1 straight to the podium.

Music: The Hawaiian Islands - A Little Love.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hawaiian-Islands/140377063432?fref=ts
ClintWhiteRacing.com
Facebook.com/ClintWhiteRacing
Twitter: @CWR_TEAM
Zerode - SRAM - Rock Shox - Avid - Truvativ - Mavic - Monsta Print - Suzuki
Category:

Last edited: