Quantcast

zibbler:how did your dirt jumping go

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
so how was your day of dirt jumping? did you get to get a sample taste of any or did you stay rubbber side down?

zibbler

Monkey
Well, it was kinda a wash out. First, we had nasty thunderstorms to deal with, which sent us running for cover a few times, then, we had an angry nest of yellow jackets attack us in the area we were clearing for the jumps. Soooo, the jump building session was a no go. :( We're going to meet Thursday pm to discuss another location, and with any luck, we'll begin building by next week. If we can finally get this project off the ground, I'll post some pics of the progress.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
thats a bummer.i bet you were all excited and stuff. we have been working on a new dirt jump area but this dumb fat redneck always comes along and trashes them on his four wheeler. so every time we rebuild them we add more big rocks. hopefully he will puncture his oil pan on one and ruin his fourwheeler.

zibbler

Monkey
Rednicks are idiots! Maybe you should plant a wasp nest there when you know he's going to be there. :devil:

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about getting the jumps up. I need to beef my bike up a little though. My frame will hold up fine as I don't plan on doing anything too big, but I'm concerned about my rims, stem, and fork.... especially my rims. I have Mavic X517 rims, which are pretty light weight. I'm thinking about getting Sun Rhyno lites or Mavic X317's.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
if you plan on getting new rims anyway i would just beat the piss out of those first then get some SUV's or something like that. as for stem i always run a short stem on my jumping bike. bars usually 1.5 inch rise and kinda wide. remember lower your seat. also if you are clipped in invest in some platforms. they allow you to escape the bike.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I'm a big fan of digging in the rain. No worries when it comes to packing the jumps, and at least it's time spent preparing for riding, even if you can't actually get on 'em until they dry out.

A new set of trails popped up the other dayout here, and we had a late-night jam on 'em. I just hope some of my pictures came out. I'll post later if they do.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by biggins
also if you are clipped in invest in some platforms. they allow you to escape the bike.
I've always ridden flats. I tried going clipless and just didn't like it. I don't like being locked onto the bike in case I need to bail (which is more often than I'd like :mad: ).

I'd rather not beat the crap outta these rims, cuz I'm planning on converting my old hardtail into a single speed, and I was going to put those rims on it. But, I think the first upgrade I'll make will be stem and handlebars, then rims, then fork (as $$ permits). I saw a guy get pretty shredded by his stem when it completely sheared in half. It ripped a 6" gash in his bicep. :eek: So, I'm going to get a downhill stem (prolly a diablos), and some beefy handle bars.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by RandomV
I'm a big fan of digging in the rain. No worries when it comes to packing the jumps, and at least it's time spent preparing for riding, even if you can't actually get on 'em until they dry out.
The rain doesn't bother me, but I don't mess around with lightning. We've had some pretty severe storms here over the past couple of weeks with lots of lightning and strong winds. There are many trees down on the trails right now from the storms. There was even an F2 tornado about a week ago just north of here.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Originally posted by zibbler
The rain doesn't bother me, but I don't mess around with lightning. We've had some pretty severe storms here over the past couple of weeks with lots of lightning and strong winds. There are many trees down on the trails right now from the storms. There was even an F2 tornado about a week ago just north of here.
Completely understandable. I wasn't calling you a sissy or anything for not digging in the rain... More just remembering fondly my days with a poncho and a shovel. :)

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by Colin
Zibbler,

Where is your proposed jump site? I will be moving back to SoFla for a while and wouldn't mind helping.
It's at Quiet Waters Park in Deerfield Beach. We're supposed to have a meeting this afternoon at the trail to discuss the jumps, but it may be a wash out with the weather as bad as it is.