Quantcast

Zion frame reviewed in MBA

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The current issue of MBA just arrived, they reviewed the Zion frame (Stosh, thought you might be interested...). Cool to see they looking at some lower budget stuff.

I skimmed the article (will give it a full read later)... basicaly they said it's a great "throwback" frame (simple, effective) that is perfect for a budget build.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
reflux said:
My left nut could provide a better review than anyone at MBA.
yea, I get it... you hate MBA... everyone around here hates MBA. The point is that it's nice to see them looking at a budget frame... especially a steel budget frame - something that probably appeals to 95% of us.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
jacksonpt said:
The point is that it's nice to see them looking at a budget frame... especially a steel budget frame
You make a good point my friend. I was disappointed when I saw that Jenson was sold out of the SS frames, as it's tough to beat a steel frame for just a few hundred.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
reflux said:
You make a good point my friend. I was disappointed when I saw that Jenson was sold out of the SS frames, as it's tough to beat a steel frame for just a few hundred.
Yea... I've been thinking about the EBB version for a while to build up as a cheap SS. I hesitated because I assumed it was Jenson's "house" bike, and I have no idea who actually makes the frames.

But it's hard to complain much about a $250, solid, SS steel frame...

And Stosh seems pretty happy with his (I assume the EBB version is basically the same as the standard frame). At this point, my priority is a play bike, not another trail/xc bike.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks for the heads up Jackson!!!

I actually raced that frame last weekend and it lasted with my phat a$$ on it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Thanks for the heads up Jackson!!!

I actually raced that frame last weekend and it lasted with my phat a$$ on it.
yea, I thought I saw that from the pictures.

I wouldn't race out and buy the latest MBA... the "review" is really short and not even remotely in depth. Basically, they are just playing lipservice to one of their advertisers, but at least it's getting a little pub.

J

JRB

I know a guy with one that is EBB. I haven't seen it, as he lives in Dallas, but he loves it.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Cool to see that Jenson has the frames back. The first ones were made out of 853. I wonder what these are made out of. Too bad it still takes a 30.0 seatpost clamp size.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Carbon Fetish said:
Cool to see that Jenson has the frames back. The first ones were made out of 853. I wonder what these are made out of. Too bad it still takes a 30.0 seatpost clamp size.
what's the big deal with the seat size?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
stosh said:
what's the big deal with the seat size?
It's not a standard clamp size so not a lot of places carry them in stock. A lot of frames use either 28.6, 31.6, or 34.9 seapost clamp size. A 28.6 is too small and a 31.6 is too big for the 30.0.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Carbon Fetish said:
It's not a standard clamp size so not a lot of places carry them in stock. A lot of frames use either 28.6, 31.6, or 34.9 seapost clamp size. A 28.6 is too small and a 31.6 is too big for the 30.0.
Yeah I ran into that problem but it wasn't like I couldn't get a clamp.

I love the HOPE QR clamps and like you said they didn't carry that size so I had to get a regular hope clamp.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jacksonpt said:
But it's hard to complain much about a $250, solid, SS steel frame... At this point, my priority is a play bike, not another trail/xc bike.
Look at a Steelhead. You can find them for cheaper than $250 (I got mine for $150) and w/ hoizontal dropouts you can (as I do) run it SS. I ride mine on everything. Perfect "play bike".