Quantcast

Zip tie ninjas

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody have any tips or tricks for zip tieing one cable housing to another? I need to add adhesive cable guides on the spooky but I'd prefer to run a single guide as both cables will run identically. I have jagwire adhesive cable guides. I seem to be able to fit about one and a half cables under the factory plastic attachment, but I can't fit two and I don't seem to be able to get a zip tie underneath:

So the likely choice is to run one cable under the hoop and attach another cable to the first. Are there any tricks to get a clean and low profile look? Maybe zip tie both with some sort of separator? My google-fu is lacking here.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I often use cable spiral wrap to make cable routing neater around the handlebar, but in a pinch a tie wrap wrapped 3 times crossed over works fine too.
1667477834737.png

Jagwire has some really nice clips that might do the job.
1667477958374.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

This is what I got...

The two cables barely fit inside the plastic U. I MAY be able to file it for more clearance (it's so close) and I MAY be able to stretch out the hole enough to fit a zip tie instead of the U.

I'm thinking a zip tie or those jagwire connections you linked, with either both cables zip tied into a single adhesive mount at the top and one at the bottom, or one cable at the top mount and one cable at the bottom mount with the two cables tied together multiple times.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
In my experience the glue-on cable guides are more trouble than benefit. I've tried them for creative cable routing on the Megatower but eventually replaced them with just plain zipties. On top of not being secure and the glue falling apart when a torque is applied by the cable, they rattle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
In my experience the glue-on cable guides are more trouble than benefit. I've tried them for creative cable routing on the Megatower but eventually replaced them with just plain zipties. On top of not being secure and the glue falling apart when a torque is applied by the cable, they rattle.
They are definitely not a tight fit, but I was able to slip a little mastic tape underneath and that quieted the rattle. I didn't run them for very long on the BMC, but they didn't seem to have much issue staying attached. That being said, I don't run a lot of flame stickers so maybe that helps.