Quantcast

Zipp Domestiqued

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Put on some new wheels

Courtesy of the Zipp Domestique program. Thanks, guys. 15.5 as it sits.

(got some CSC Clinchers coming, as well)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Damn nice rigs! Is that a mini on the left? BTW, bikes not too bad either :p

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You know the drill. PM me the cost, pretty please. Just curious. I'd like the CSC wheels.

Perhaps it's because mine are 5 years old, but I don't love my 404s. I prefer to ride my Race X Lite tubulars. I can't get to 15.5 on my tarmac, but the Lapierre is 15 4 oz with my 404s. Did you weigh those? What's the real weight difference for the clinchers? Why no clinchers for those?

I'm really already pretty tired of glue, even though they ride super well.

Best wheels I've ride to date are some Look 3.8s or something like that. Never went to production release but a friend has some. Went to glue tires and he realized he rides Campy and they had a Shimano hub. Oops. Ordered a Powertap body and got him going. He asked me to ride them, and while they are .5 heavier than the 404s, they are stiffer and roll up faster. I really liked them.

Enough about me - the BH is really nice.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
The one time that I can't discuss price. All I can say is "damn".

The CSC wheels I like, a lot. For now they're made with DT rims, but that will change once production of those rims moves to Taiwan. Not sure who the new source will be.

Didn't weigh them. Bike with DT 1.1s/ DA hubs/ Competitions 32h/ Ultegra cassette was 16.8. The CSC wheels dropped about 200gr.

Not really a fan of the clinchers. For carbon clinchers, I'll tend towards Reynolds simply because of weight. If I remember, I'll weight the tubies and clinchers tomorrow.

Can't say I'm tired of glue yet. Since March 15th, I've gone through 2 cans of Mastik One. That's about 20 wheels...11 wheels since May 1st (3 sets of 404s, 1 set of 303s, 1 1080, 1 808, and 1 Bonti XXX Lite). Just getting warmed up. I've been kind of lucky as most of the tires have been Vittorias/ Zipps. The new rims are badass...especially the 404 rim. Deeper, slightly wider....less of a void with the 23mm Tangente tire. Zipp says the 23c/ 404 combo is more aero than previous 21c/ 404 combos.

I've got high hopes for these. I'm sold on the new hubs; wider spaced and larger diameter flanges, bearing preload adjustment, the ability to really seal up the hubs to keep moisture out (Zipp claims waterproof). And the bearings...love Zipp bearings.

ire - yeah, it's a Mini. I'm kind of jealous.

loco - you doing the ATLAS Ride in June?