Quantcast

Zipp hubs vs DT Swiss hubs

Zapfrog75

Chimp
Oct 26, 2020
I know this is an old debate but I'm wondering how the hubs are on the new Zipp 302's compared to say the lowest DT's 350's?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
With no information on the hubs, I would suspect there's nothing great about them and they are a basic spring-pawl setup. No information about bearings either. Zipp is owned by SRAM now. Will the Zipp hub parts be available in 3 or 5 years? I'm pretty sure DT Swiss will be. DT 350s are solid, good bearings, good drive mechanism that deals with torque well.

Zapfrog75

Chimp
Oct 26, 2020
With no information on the hubs, I would suspect there's nothing great about them and they are a basic spring-pawl setup. No information about bearings either. Zipp is owned by SRAM now. Will the Zipp hub parts be available in 3 or 5 years? I'm pretty sure DT Swiss will be. DT 350s are solid, good bearings, good drive mechanism that deals with torque well.
The reason I ask is because I had a mishap with a Zipp 302 front but because I was not the original owner no crash protection/warranty.... BUT.... Zipp did offer me a new set of 302's for quite a lot off the MSRP. Thing is the 302's I have, have dt swiss. Maybe I should take Zipp up on their offer and just relace them with the dt hubs I have?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What could go wrong with a front hub? Bearings? You can get quality bearings from NTN, SKF, FAG, and others. Most Mtb wheel and hub companies don’t spec very good bearings, even the ones you’d think are high end. So it’s generally pretty easy to get some better bearings.

Zapfrog75

Chimp
Oct 26, 2020
What could go wrong with a front hub? Bearings? You can get quality bearings from NTN, SKF, FAG, and others. Most Mtb wheel and hub companies don’t spec very good bearings, even the ones you’d think are high end. So it’s generally pretty easy to get some better bearings.
Well the front hub isn't as much of a concern as the rear one is. I went from riding a trash basic rear hub to dt swiss and was sold. Thinking of taking Zipp on their offer and just replacing the rear hub.