Quantcast

♧◇♡♤Day 4/7 ♤♡◇♧

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My 16 year old finally has requested to start biking. I bought an old beater single speed for him today for cheap so he does not have to worry too much about or worry about it getting stolen.

IMG_8277 Large.jpeg

There is some oxidation on the frame where paint is bubbling. Do I just sand down and put some paint on that to stop further damage?

I could also sand frame and rattle can it. Would not take much to strip it down. Need a new set and better grips but I have some stuff I can put on there.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My 16 year old finally has requested to start biking. I bought an old beater single speed for him today for cheap so he does not have to worry too much about or worry about it getting stolen.

View attachment 208102

There is some oxidation on the frame where paint is bubbling. Do I just sand down and put some paint on that to stop further damage?

I could also sand frame and rattle can it. Would not take much to strip it down. Need a new set and better grips but I have some stuff I can put on there.
I'd just let it be if it's a beater bike, unless the parts are truly worn out.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:wave:
Had an 7+ hr drive yesterday, broke it up with a couple hrs skiing at Steamboat which was WARM for Feb. Now working/coffeeing before moar snowy gravity things.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'd just let it be if it's a beater bike, unless the parts are truly worn out.
I am changing the seat because there are holes in it so when it rains the seat cushion turns into a wet sponge.

But what about the frame. No risk of it failing because of the oxidation?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just spent $100 on beef jerky. All in all I think it was a good decision.
Oh man, that was one of the only good things about Gatlinburg last year. They had an amazing jerky store that gave out free samples. Without a doubt the best turkey jerky I’ve ever had. Kept some in my hip belt pocket for protein on the go. Looking forward to picking up a couple packs this year. Nom, nom, nom…

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I am changing the seat because there are holes in it so when it rains the seat cushion turns into a wet sponge.

But what about the frame. No risk of it failing because of the oxidation?
Highly unlikely that oxidation on aluminum will cause enough damage to weaken the integrity of the frame in a human lifetime.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Horrid riding conditions last night. The snow had softened into a thick layer of wet mush, so anytime you tried to turn, you'd just continue going straight.

At le work. Waiting for the coffee room to clear out so that I can work on coffeeing it now.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
car saga story continues
insult to injury: they installed a small receiver trailer hitch... #%!@#%
so we get to argue about that after they maybe figure out what's wrong with the steering (8 days and counting on that fiasco)

work is work and I find it hard to focus and be effective with life's many distractions. so I guess it's back to work and stop being on here letting myself be distracted...

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Spicy meatball would be so good right now.
‘bout three fiddy
Whatever Elon Musk needs it to be.

Caught LWT on YouTube, new rules in place for hosting the broadcast off-network.
John Oliver offered Supreme Court Justice Thomas 1M a year plus a new Motor Coach worth 2M+ for him to vacate his Seat and has 30days to bind an agreement. Literally.

Hilarious. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

View attachment 208102

If it's aluminum, I would just leave it. You can sand off the loose paint, you can strip the frame, but then you're left with a brushed frame that will also corrode. Cheapest would be sanding and paint stripper then rattle can, best would be a fresh powdercoat from a local shop with a bead blast prior. Easiest would be to enjoy as is.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've pondered similar before. But I don't like work or people.
I'm starting to like people. I think I'd do well in a place like that. My wife and I chat about quitting the real world and opening a breakfast cafe/bike cafe sort of deal on the new rail trails they are building here in town. I just don't know how you do such a thing and not worry about your 401k and 429 plans or whatever. Maybe we just need to wait 10 years until the kids are off to college

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I feel like riding my bike again. This is a different feeling.

Might try my hand at hewing a maple log I've got just laying around. The urge to timber frame something is strong.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm starting to like people. I think I'd do well in a place like that. My wife and I chat about quitting the real world and opening a breakfast cafe/bike cafe sort of deal on the new rail trails they are building here in town. I just don't know how you do such a thing and not worry about your 401k and 429 plans or whatever. Maybe we just need to wait 10 years until the kids are off to college
You know, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I like people, but I'm mostly ambivalent. Those people are just out trying to live their lives, much like I am. It's the superficial nature of so many interactions that's the real suck. Such a curated, sanitized version of the human experience.

No doubt, there are indeed a small subset of people who make things disproportionately unbearable for the masses at large.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If it's aluminum, I would just leave it. You can sand off the loose paint, you can strip the frame, but then you're left with a brushed frame that will also corrode. Cheapest would be sanding and paint stripper then rattle can, best would be a fresh powdercoat from a local shop with a bead blast prior. Easiest would be to enjoy as is.
Highly unlikely that oxidation on aluminum will cause enough damage to weaken the integrity of the frame in a human lifetime.
Thank you for the quick help. I am not trying to spend any extra money on the bike if I can avoid it or make it look nice so somebody wants to steal the bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hi ppls

WFH, albeit not a half day any more as a co-worker is out (as her dad died).