Quantcast

2017 RM Rides Planning Thread...Monkeyfests?!?!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
even those of us that think they've "hit pretty much everything" there is. ;)
Just the common rides that someone heading there with a few days to ride would want to hit :p

I'd love more riding time down there to put the bigger loops together.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Adventurous what are your dates for crested Butte? And you should probably put the Targhee fest on the calendar in the initial post. July 14-16.

And at least one uncommon one.
Got it now :thumb:

As for CB, I was kinda thinking either July or August time frame (real specific I know). It'll depend on who wants to join in on the fun. Will also have to depend upon who is attending the Montana Monkeyfest as I was thinking a leave after work Thursday, ride Friday, Saturday, Sunday morning before booking it home kinda deal.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Saturday June 17th I'm thinking a big day ride is in order. Something within a few hours of Denver.

Potentials:
Curt Gowdy State Park
Colorado Trail: Copper Mountain to Searle Pass (might be too early)

@SkaredShtles @Full Trucker for other suggestions that incorporate equal parts pain, pleasure, and epic feel. I trust in your judgement. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
have you done any riding down in the Springs? there are 'shuttles' in the canyon that you need to ride.
I have not! I have been down to the springs thrice times since I have lived here and always got the impression I wasn't missing out on much. Got any linkies I can peruse?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have not! I have been down to the springs thrice times since I have lived here and always got the impression I wasn't missing out on much. Got any linkies I can peruse?
mtb project anything west of town.
Years ago we did a shuttle where we eliminated about 12-14 miles of climbing and got 4-5 killer descents linked with easy peasy transition climbs. Or, we climb it all.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
timmay: I've been wanting to ride Barr Trail from the top for a while. Let's get that on the books too for a day-trip. Probably better hit on a weekday, but whatever.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Gonna look that one up but a day tripper sounds good to me.
Barr Trail = Pike's Peak

Saturday June 17th I'm thinking a big day ride is in order. Something within a few hours of Denver.
I'm in NM working at a race on that Saturday-Sunday. Was going to suggest the Guanella Pass ride for this day, since it's big as shit and just a day trip. But since I won't be here, I don't want you guys to do it that day. Or do I?

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Barr Trail = Pike's Peak

I'm in NM working at a race on that Saturday-Sunday. Was going to suggest the Guanella Pass ride for this day, since it's big as shit and just a day trip. But since I won't be here, I don't want you guys to do it that day. Or do I?
Ever since I saw that ride report I knew my self-loathing was strong enough to want to do it. Please sir, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Check it out on mtbproject. There are some good loops and trails around there, although if it's balls-hot I'd rather ride in the interior.
11951736_10100660893566188_137081477037444927_o.jpg

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Alright @Pesqueeb ... you call the day. giddyup! I ain't skeered!

No? It seems like it would have potential.
I've never tried but my understanding is that the top 1/4ish of Barr is pretty much unrideabru due to terrain. Plus the trail is always crowded.

As for Jones, it'll be a suffer fest, but it's one of my favorite rides and I try to do it at least once a year. I'll need a trail report before we go. I'd wager there is probably still a lot of snow up top, it's usually no bueno before late May. North facing, deep canyon type terrain. I'll ask around.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've never tried but my understanding is that the top 1/4ish of Barr is pretty much unrideabru due to terrain. Plus the trail is always crowded.

As for Jones, it'll be a suffer fest, but it's one of my favorite rides and I try to do it at least once a year. I'll need a trail report before we go. I'd wager there is probably still a lot of snow up top, it's usually no bueno before late May. North facing, deep canyon type terrain. I'll ask around.
I had a full day in the canyon several years back, Jones, 667, 666? pipeline?, Seven Bridges? Etc. We gained the first few thousand (?) feet by driving up gold camp, but still pedaled a shit ton. I'd be down for that over the summer!

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not an official monkeyfest (yet) per se, but it looks like wife and kids will be away the week of july 10. i may spend a good portion of the week in the wilsons creek area of pisgah. if anyone's down, happy to lead rides and drink beers. maybe some day trips for the more gravity inclined to windrock and baileys too.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I am not a nice person... nice people don't map out routes like the Grifty Fifty and then tell their friends to go ride it. Paging @6thElement ... I expect you and the wife to tick this off by the end of the month. You know, because it's (sorta) named after you and such. This is mapped as starting/ending at New Terrain Brewing but I suppose you guys could just ride it from your house.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I am not a nice person... nice people don't map out routes like the Grifty Fifty and then tell their friends to go ride it. Paging @6thElement ... I expect you and the wife to tick this off by the end of the month. You know, because it's (sorta) named after you and such. This is mapped as starting/ending at New Terrain Brewing but I suppose you guys could just ride it from your house.
Yesterday was a spur of the moment and you'd said you were working on your car otherwise I'd have reached out.
Friday we'd actually headed to Fruita, set up camp and then got annoyed by the strong wind and dust blowing about, said eff it and headed home.

I'll have to show this to the wife.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I had a full day in the canyon several years back, Jones, 667, 666? pipeline?, Seven Bridges? Etc. We gained the first few thousand (?) feet by driving up gold camp, but still pedaled a shit ton. I'd be down for that over the summer!
Those all have the same potential trail head, but hitting them all requires at least two drives up the hill. If you did them all in a day, I'm impressed.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Those all have the same potential trail head, but hitting them all requires at least two drives up the hill. If you did them all in a day, I'm impressed.
Then that ain't right. We didn't drive more than once, and I'm sure I've got the trails all effed up. I'll see if I can dig up the original route. It was a good one with two brief climbs in the middle of extended descending.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Saturday August 5th. Mark your calendars cause I'm thinking a big day trip is in order. The only thing better than getting high alone is getting high with friends.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I know its a bit late, but it is when I can get away. Also planning on a TWE on the same trip. Gotta put the new whip through it's paces!
EDIT: I may actually be able to get away late Sep. if a plan gets brewing...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
@6thElement

You done this route yet? https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/648142

I seem to recall @SkaredShtles talking about the misery that is the climb up Ptarmigan Pass.

Otherwise I'm still on the search for something acceptably hard, high, and epic.
The Ptarmagin Pass climb is indeed miserable. Add to that the insult of riding the bike path back to Copper and you should really start that ride over at Camp Hale IMO. Do the Ptarmagin climb early, and finish with a long, FAST descent to the car.